Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaps in floorboards

Options
  • 08-02-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

hi, i laid a solid timber floor [red deal] in three rooms about 12 months ago. the problem i now have is that a couple of boards seem to be getting thinner and so leaving a gap between boards. this has only been happening for the last 2 months or so. any ideas? thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Hi mate,

During the winter months the relative humidity of the air is usually very low. As a result the wood floorboards will dry out and shrink a bit in the winter and gaps will form. During the summer the relative humidity rises and the boards will absorb moisture in vapor form and expand, and gaps will usually close or become smaller.

you have a couple of options...

1) Depending on the size of the gaps, if they are small you could fill them with a wood filler. Not my preferred method but does the job in some circumstances. Ideal if your covering with carpet, but you are not so probably not a preferred option. Also note its not a good idea to fill gaps in floorboards in winter as expanding floorboards can push filler out of the gaps.

2) Large gaps or gaps between all the boards are more difficult. Its best to lift the whole floor and re-lay it. A floorboard clamp or wooden wedges force the boards together until they are nailed in place. This leaves a big gap at the end which must be filled with an extra floorboard. Probably this is your best option. Time cosuming and all as it may be, its the only way if you want your floor exposed.

All in all probably not what you wanted to hear!!

JB:)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

thanks for that. i think that i ,ll leave it alone, sleeping dogs lie and all that.the thing is when you are sweeping the floor all the dirt slips between the gaps, thanks again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I have an oak floor that still expands in the summer when humid so don't worry too much if it's a hardwood floor. If it's a softwood it will never come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 macswarehouse

dont use too much water when washing the floors.. and youll get some good filler in mrcb in cornmarket dublin.

Advertisement