Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much are fees for masters?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

i wanna do masters in linguistics but cant find even a rough estimate of how much the fees will be anywhere, can anyone give me any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

5 grand if its a 1 year masters???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

yep its a one year masters, thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

http://www.ucd.ie/fees/postgraduate.htm

but it says its broken :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Thanks for that - I didn't know they were posted in that much detail. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the fees for the programme I'm heading towards, and am thinking it will be less of a financial strain than I had imagined.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Forgive me for the minor thread hijacking but can anyone give me a rough estimate of the minimum GPA required to be able to apply for masters. I'm talking in general, not necessarily just UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Depends on what the minimum requirements are and what university. Average is 3.08+, basically a 2.1 which is the case for most schools attached to arts

Depends on what the minimum requirements are and what university. Average is 3.08+, basically a 2.1 which is the case for most schools attached to arts

That's good to hear, I'm just under 3.0 in my last year. I can certainly get that beyond 3.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Forgive me for the minor thread hijacking but can anyone give me a rough estimate of the minimum GPA required to be able to apply for masters. I'm talking in general, not necessarily just UCD.
    It seems there's some flexibility. I asked a professor about the cognitive science MA programme and he told me (as did the course website) that the general requirement is a 2:1, but he also told me that this is not set in stone.

I was enquiring because I'm on a 2:2 at the moment, and was wondering about my options. He said that there was currently people taking the MA who got a 2:2 and even lower (ie. pass) at undergrad level. In these cases it's up to the student to account for their lacklustre performance during their undergrad.

So I guess (a) it depends on the course, (b) how over/under-subscribed it is, and (c) exceptions can be made.

You'll need to convince those responsible for admittance that you are capable and willing to complete the programme to the end :)

Dave! wrote: »
    It seems there's some flexibility. I asked a professor about the cognitive science MA programme and he told me (as did the course website) that the general requirement is a 2:1, but he also told me that this is not set in stone.

I was enquiring because I'm on a 2:2 at the moment, and was wondering about my options. He said that there was currently people taking the MA who got a 2:2 and even lower (ie. pass) at undergrad level. In these cases it's up to the student to account for their lacklustre performance during their undergrad.

So I guess (a) it depends on the course, (b) how over/under-subscribed it is, and (c) exceptions can be made.

You'll need to convince those responsible for admittance that you are capable and willing to complete the programme to the end :)

Again, thank you. It's amazing how much you can **** up and only start waking the hell up once you are in the last semester of your last year.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Again, thank you. It's amazing how much you can **** up and only start waking the hell up once you are in the last semester of your last year.:pac:

This, a million times over! I've only come to seriously considering doing a postgrad very recently... in semester 2 of 4th year! Contemplating the Computational Science MSc, *if* it goes ahead next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Dave! wrote: »

More proof that as long as you have money you can do what you want in UCD, regardless of how much it damages the reputation of the qualifications they bestow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Contemplating the Computational Science MSc, *if* it goes ahead next year..

what is casting doubt on this?
    i believe the masters in mathematical physics requires at least 2 applicatants and that is why it did not go ahead this year.

I was talking to Zoltan Neufeld at the Mathematical Sciences graduate programs open evening this evening and he said that there's a chance it may not go ahead because there hasn't been much interest. It'd be a pity if it didn't go ahead, because it seems to be pretty much exactly the stuff I'd be interested in doing for a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

I was talking to Zoltan Neufeld at the Mathematical Sciences graduate programs open evening this evening and he said that there's a chance it may not go ahead because there hasn't been much interest. It'd be a pity if it didn't go ahead, because it seems to be pretty much exactly the stuff I'd be interested in doing for a masters.

it would be quite a shame if it didnt. but it seems to go ahead every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There's a Computational Science Masters? Want!

Raph - clickeh

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The following UCD courses are in the HEA Advanced IT Skills fee thing with the €2000 fee. Alas not all of these run in a given year.

HDip in Computer Science - Full-time
    MSc in Advanced Software Engineering - Part Time
    Masters in Water & Environmental Engineering - Full time
    MSc in Ubiquitous Computing - Full-time
    MSc/GDip in Computational Science - Full-time
    Masters in Water & Environmental Engineering - Part time
    Grad Dip/MSc in Health Informatics - Part-time
    MSc Advanced Software Engineering
    MSc in Bio-Engineering* - Full-time
    MSc in Bio-Engineering* - Part-time
    MSc in Business Analytics - Full-time (formerly MSc in Management Science)
    MSc in Business Analytics - Part-time (formerly MSc in Management Science)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Raph - clickeh
    Wintastic. My life now has direction again!

Advertisement