Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought House and now don't know if I can proceed

Options
  • 08-02-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,

I purchased a house about 6 months ago. A contract was signed and a substantial deposit was paid. A couple of weeks ago my mortgage expired. Now instead of 92% the bank will only give me 80%

I dont have the remaining 12% to proceed. Can i walk away?

Also the house is not worth what is was when i bought it. The builder has offered to go guarator to ensure i get the other 12% providing i go with his bank. He said i can have the house valued in 5 years and if the price has dropped (up to 15%) he will wipe this off the loan.

Is this a good deal? Should i not get the 15% off the price now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

contact your solicitor there has been a few of these posts recently

in general you can probably walk away and lose the deposit. will come down to what sort of contract you signed, the builder in question and how good your solicitor is.

just to add be very weary of these deals anything can happen maybe he'll go bust before the end of the 5 years etc and you will have no come back

be very very careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TommyMartin

Yes i've been advised by some to be careful.

If its possible i want the 15% off the price now. If not (and i can legally walk away) I think i'll pull out and look for a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

youve signed contracts ,the builder is entitled to sell the house for what he can get and pursue you for the balance You can not walk away and just lose your deposit. the builder may decide not to pursue you but thats their choice

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bleary wrote: »
    youve signed contracts ,the builder is entitled to sell the house for what he can get and pursue you for the balance You can not walk away and just lose your deposit. the builder may decide not to pursue you but thats their choice
    On the contrary, contracts often have clauses that make the contract subject to funding.

OP, talk to your solicitor and then you bank to see if something can be arranged. But of course, if things are that difficult, you have to ask is it wise to proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TommyMartin

I had a feeling it wasnt that simple. So how does that work? I signed a contract on the basis that i had a mortgage ( i did have one) now i dont have one.

Its hardly my fault the country fell apart

I had a feeling it wasnt that simple. So how does that work? I signed a contract on the basis that i had a mortgage ( i did have one) now i dont have one.

Its hardly my fault the country fell apart

It's not the builders fault either.

Again talk to your solicitor he will be able to tell you exactly where you stand

we cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So how does that work?
    If nobody will give you a loan, then you don't have to go through with the contract. But talk to your solicitor and keep away form loan sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

Hello,

I purchased a house about 6 months ago. A contract was signed and a substantial deposit was paid.

If you signed a contract 6 months ago and had mortgage approval in place, how come the purchase did not go through yet?

Was the house not ready or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Don't buy into anything, prices are still dropping by the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Depends on the terms of the contract and whether there was any room in it for one side or other to break out in certain circumstances.

Be aware that the courts have been busy lately with sellers of houses seeking specific performance (i.e. a court order forcing you to follow through on the purchase at the agreed price) so think very hard and seek legal advice before attempting to walk away from the deal.

Advertisement