Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the aging among us.. The Rock & Metal nostalgia thread!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

adox wrote: »
    Bullet belts were mandatory in my day. Also denim jacket with the back bleached white and an album cover painted on it. ( Mine had a Tigers Of Pan Tang cover on it).

Hah the bullet belt, I forgot about those. I never had one, but one thing i tended to notice was the amount of Mustaine wannabes with the bullet belt, skin tight blue jeans and the white shirt with the first three buttons undone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

malice_ wrote: »
    As the poster responsible for the Therapy? thread I heartily endorse this thread

As regards nostalgia, I still remember the dark day ten years ago when I came home from college to discover my mother had decided to throw out all my black t-shirts. Now, she had a point as many of them were a slate-grey colour due to aging and probably quite smelly but damnit it's taken me at least as long now again to build up a decent collection!

Did anyone else have a parental intervention like that?

I had a Dead Kennedys Too drunk to **** t-shirt and a Suicidal Tendencies Feel like **** t-shirt that used to end up stuck far behind the immersion heater in the hot press & a Mum who tried to look innocent about it.
    dasdog wrote: »
    Anyone remember the rockers v townies "war" around 1989 that came out of an incident in Amusement City? There seemed to be a real thrash community around that time in Dublin and there were always familiar faces that came from all corners of Ireland for the gigs. To add to whats already been said about McGonagles (I made both nights of the Ozzy gigs and saw lots of lower key bands like Acid Reign, Sabat, Gang Green) there were some great days/nights out in the Top Hat (Metallica 88, Suicidal Tendancies, Faith No More, Sepultura around 89/90/91). Still after many gigs of many styles here and abroad many years later I reckon seeing Megadeth as a 13 year old on the So Far... tour left the biggest impression on me. And I sort of made up for missing a Slayer gig in 88 when they played the point a few years ago...who were the only band of the "big four" I missed while they were still at their prime (IMO).

I was at all of those gigs & Megadeth in the SFX, good days, the Top Hat was such a dive but anyone I tell nowadays that I saw Metallica, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies, WASP.... and so on play in front of 2000 people can't believe me.

I went to see Iron Maiden last year in Perth, it was my first metal gig in at least 14 years & it was so brilliant, I couldn't speak, hear or move my head for days after, serves me right for rocking out as a late 30 something :)

I had a mullet until the end of 6th year, then went short for a while, then grew the top ponytail thing, then let the rest grow, then went too bald & had to shave it off at the end of Uni. I got my first tattoo at 32 & got a couple more when I was home in Dublin last year at Celestial Ring in the Stephen's Green centre, Mark is brilliant if you want ink done. I had to take my earrings out when I moved to Australia as they kept going black in my ear, I'd been wearing earrings for 10 years at that stage & never had a problem before, maybe it's the water. I haven't put them in since.

The BOFH wrote: »
    I got my first tattoo at 32 & got a couple more when I was home in Dublin last year at Celestial Ring in the Stephen's Green centre, Mark is brilliant if you want ink done.

Dont wanna drag this off topic, but i do want to give Mark his props, he did my second tattoo, the celtic symbol on the inside of my right arm about six months ago, and didn't even need a second going over.

Hell of a nice guy as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Dont wanna drag this off topic, but i do want to give Mark his props, he did my second tattoo, the celtic symbol on the inside of my right arm about six months ago, and didn't even need a second going over.

Hell of a nice guy as well. :)
    Not to drag it off topic either I've posted mine in the correct forum :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59133007#post59133007 and the photos show that I now have more hair on my back than I ever did on my head :(

I meant to visit Tommy Tadgh's Sound Cellar when I was home & forgot to, I'm kicking myself now, I even passed by one day when we were in town.

The BOFH wrote: »
    I meant to visit Tommy Tadgh's Sound Cellar when I was home & forgot to, I'm kicking myself now, I even passed by one day when we were in town.

Was in there about two weeks ago, Tommy's still there. He'll see us all out, I swear! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

lord lucan wrote: »
    i also got to meet aerosmith up in the grafton st hmv the day of their gig at the point('94 i think),amazing experience.

I was there too that day - amazing experience - Was Nov 1993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was there too that day - amazing experience - Was Nov 1993

holy crap!! thanks for the date check. seems a long long time ago now:eek:

Advertisement