Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to change to UPC

Options
  • 08-02-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum. I currently have BT for broadband and have worked out that I can save 15 euro a month by switching over to UPC and also get an extra 7Mb speed.

I have UPC for TV already, however the only thing I'm unsure of is whether UPC's phone service is compatible with my monitored alarm. The alarm contacts Top Security (alarm monitoring service) using my phone line if the alarm is activated. I have contacted Napier, the company that installed the alarm 3 years ago and UPC, both of who cannot give me a definite yes/no.

I'm just wondering if anyone is successfully using UPCs phone service with a monitored alarm, or if anyone knows if it is possible.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kco3d wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum. I currently have BT for broadband and have worked out that I can save 15 euro a month by switching over to UPC and also get an extra 7Mb speed.

I have UPC for TV already, however the only thing I'm unsure of is whether UPC's phone service is compatible with my monitored alarm. The alarm contacts Top Security (alarm monitoring service) using my phone line if the alarm is activated. I have contacted Napier, the company that installed the alarm 3 years ago and UPC, both of who cannot give me a definite yes/no.

I'm just wondering if anyone is successfully using UPCs phone service with a monitored alarm, or if anyone knows if it is possible.

Thanks,

Few/None of the monitor alarms with work with voip service, they need a "real" line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I had a monitored alarm company call out to my house the other day. I told them that I didn't have a land line and they said its very common for poeple not to have land lines these day. So they use some sort of bluetooth device to monitor the alarms.

I wasn't interested but some companies now don't need a land line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

GigaByte wrote: »
    I had a monitored alarm company call out to my house the other day. I told them that I didn't have a land line and they said its very common for poeple not to have land lines these day. So they use some sort of bluetooth device to monitor the alarms.

I wasn't interested but some companies now don't need a land line.

Eh. You probably mean, they use a gsm device. Yes, some alarms allow for using a cellphone modem instead. Bluetooth would only have a range of about 12m.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Marlow wrote: »
    Eh. You probably mean, they use a gsm device. Yes, some alarms allow for using a cellphone modem instead. Bluetooth would only have a range of about 12m.

/Martin

Thats what he said to me, bluetooth! :confused:

I've no interest in getting it and was more interested in getting back to the TV but maybe someone here knows more about it?? :)

Advertisement