Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy processor fan, and cooling mods.

Options
  • 08-02-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My processor fan is just plain noisy, in fact it sounds like it's going to take off.

Simply disconnecting it isn't really an option because the PC will just shut down when the processor starts to heat up.

Is it viable to remove the fan completely and replace it with some sort of cooling system that doesn't involve moving parts?

Any advice? Not sure what my options are.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ouch wrote: »
    My processor fan is just plain noisy, in fact it sounds like it's going to take off.

Simply disconnecting it isn't really an option because the PC will just shut down when the processor starts to heat up.

Is it viable to remove the fan completely and replace it with some sort of cooling system that doesn't involve moving parts?

Any advice? Not sure what my options are.

Thanks

1) Please mention what CPU you actually have!!!! ;).

you can easily replace a stock CPU cooler for a much better one that will give you greater cooling performance and have a low noise fan. There is always an option to go for a passive cooler e.g. a massive heat sink with no fan but you need a good case with excelent airflow and space to do it right.

2) are you 100% its your CPU cooler that is causing all the noise.

Not: Gfx card cooler, loud case fans, loud power supply, crap case.....
    There are a lot of factors that cause a PC to be loud.

And usually after you tackle one, you end up tackling the next "loud" component. its all a vicious circle.:D

If it's a recent system such as an AMD AM2 or Intel LGA775-based system you may be able to enable the fan speed control in the BIOS which might help a little. But check to make sure that it is the CPU fan making the noise, it could also be the graphics card or power supply unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ouch

Thanks for the advice so far.
    Karsini wrote: »
    If it's a recent system such as an AMD AM2 or Intel LGA775-based system you may be able to enable the fan speed control in the BIOS which might help a little. But check to make sure that it is the CPU fan making the noise, it could also be the graphics card or power supply unit.

It's definitely the processor fan.

It's a Pentium D 915 2.8 GHZ, so it is an LGA775 processor.

I'll have a look round the bios and see if there are any fan control options.

Otherwise it's simply a matter of finding a compatible after market cooling fan that will fit the motherboard?

I also came across a "Noiseless" resistor cable.

Which apparently slows down a fan, does anyone have any experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ouch wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice so far.
    It's definitely the processor fan.
    It's a Pentium D 915 2.8 GHZ, so it is an LGA775 processor.

I'll have a look round the bios and see if there are any fan control options.

Otherwise it's simply a matter of finding a compatible after market cooling fan that will fit the motherboard?

I also came across a "Noiseless" resistor cable.

Which apparently slows down a fan, does anyone have any experience with them?

All the resistor cable does is reduce the power going to the CPU fan, less power = less fan speed so less noise.
    (but also less cooling, it's all about the balance between noise and cooling performance)

Is your PC a custom built rig or is it an off the shelf i.e. DELL, HP etc....?

Depending on your motherboard layout and what power connectors your pc uses for fans, how the original cooler is fitted : you should be able to replace it with an off the shelf solution.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10547
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/intelcooling

small selection of after market coolers, you have a wide range of choice and do not have to spend a fortune.

As long as it is a socket 775 cooler in theory it should work but again case size,motherboard layout etc come into to play.

(again please mention what case you have/who made your pc)

http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/intelcooling/ac-freezer7pro

This would be a nice choice, cheap, offers fairly decent cooling and is push pin, so is fairly easy to install for someone new to fitting CPU coolers.

With a lot of other coolers you would have to remove the motherboard and fit a backing plate to take the weight of some of the bigger/heavier coolers.

Advertisement