Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wtf UPC

Options
  • 08-02-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

407062733.png

And I'm on 20mb! I can't even get on some websites because it just says connection interrupted..I mean look at the ping!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm on IBB 3Mb DSL.

407073805.png

Wish I had your complaint :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

407062733.png

And I'm on 20mb! I can't even get on some websites because it just says connection interrupted..I mean look at the ping!

hey where abouts are you located, that is a very odd ping for upc. make sure you try a different server on speedtest.net as sometimes the dublin one can cause it to me pretty high.

these are my results.
    Dublin(Server)
    407199042.png

Galway(Server)
    407199801.png

im located in dundrum area and most of the time i get over 100ms for dublin but always around 30-40 for everywhere else(even london).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

407350782.png

407350782.png

407352430.png

Yes the Dublin server is a bit funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

407062733.png

Have you tried connecting directly to the cable modem rather than the router? Could be a problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thor wrote: »
    hey where abouts are you located, that is a very odd ping for upc. make sure you try a different server on speedtest.net as sometimes the dublin one can cause it to me pretty high.

im located in dundrum area and most of the time i get over 100ms for dublin but always around 30-40 for everywhere else(even london).

That is because UPC isn't peering with the hosting company where the Dublin server is located, while the Galway server has a peering via Smart to UPC. UPC has ridiculous rules for peering agreements.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I just did a test against the dublin and galway servers. I don't have the screenshot but Dublin was about 13MB DL speed and a ping of about 300. Galway was 15MB DL and about 50 ping.

So there is a difference between the 2 servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

matrim wrote: »
    I just did a test against the dublin and galway servers. I don't have the screenshot but Dublin was about 13MB DL speed and a ping of about 300. Galway was 15MB DL and about 50 ping.

So there is a difference between the 2 servers.

Correct. It depends what ISP you are with, how good that ISP is connected and how it is connected towards these two servers.

The Dublin server is supplied by Westnet, but hosted in InterXion in Dublin. The irishisp speedtest server is in that same datacenter.
    The Galway server is supplied by ourselfes (Airwire) and hosted in our own datacenter in Galway.

So what result you get depends on how you get there. As for UPC, they don't have a open peering policy, so they will often have crap routes to Ireland. You'll have to go via Amsterdam or London sometimes to get to irish destinations. This is annoying for gaming, voip and other things and if you want it fixed, bug UPC about it.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

been getting atrocious pings and speeds all day ping 600 - 1500 region :mad:

in dublin 14/16 on 20mb package

407587688.png

Edit tested other servers all in or around the same so im at 10% of or lines speed grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

407749844.png

dublin 24

jokeshop 20 MB my bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hey calex71, im basically located in the same area dublin14/16.

have never got pings that crazy before.

make sure its all connected up right as that looks really bad!!

if that doesnt help ring ntl and tell them you arent paying another cent until the problem is fixed!!!

Dr Bolouswki if i was you i would do the same.

407955968.png

thats my speed for the same server. your ping seems perfect but that download speed is just plain wrong.

i had a problem as i was getting a low download speed once(only for about 2-3 hours), so i rang the freephone number they have(1908).

i said i was getting very load speed and they guy on the phone said to do a speed test here http://www.upc.nl/speedtest/

the speed was crap there aswell and i told him it was.

he then says bla bla bla im going to boost your signal bla bla.

tells me to plug out the cable modem in about 20 minutes and plug it back in(and this point i had already pluged it out and back in a few times)

well what do you know!!! the speed was working perfectly and i haven't had a single issue since.

all i can say is that you should ring them an tell them the speed is atrocious and has been like this awhile.

hope you get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Thor wrote: »

407955968.png

i would kill for net like that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

My speeds are pretty stable the last few months.
    408043134.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

huggs2 wrote: »
    My speeds are pretty stable the last few months.
    408043134.png

This is off topic but do you get the upc tv package as well? If so whats the quality like compared to say sky sd? Thinking of moving to the UPC 20mb package but I hear the tv quality is poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

sorry, i don't have the tv package or phone from them.

Advertisement