Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice for a man with nappy hair?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

A friend has some very coarse and coiling hair. He's white but has hair very similar to hair many black men have. He's always cut it short, and enjoys having a shaved head but recently was growing it long for once. It looks bad! But I'm wondering if there's anything he can do with it that would be stylish. Maybe something that could make it curly or is it possible to actually use creams to make such hair straight?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MadelineNYC

First of all, I wouldn't recommend straightening it. That's a lot of upkeep for a man.

Some tips for bringing out the curls:
    1) He should wash his hair with conditioner only, not shampoo (if it's truly like a black person's hair, it won't be producing much natural oil. He can scrub his scalp with the conditioner just like he would a shampoo. He would rinse it out just like shampoo)

2) When it's wet, use a gel meant for curly hair (many brands make this) and "scrunch" it in the curls. Think of the motion someone makes when they play the accordion.

3) Once he's done with the gel, leave it alone. Don't run a comb or brush through it!

4) Let it air dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

Madeline...

Thanks for that really detailed response. You've given some good tips and it all makes sense. I'll be using this site in future for my own fashion questions and problems!!

Advertisement