Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations on new lens for novice

• 08-02-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I am a novice with a Canon EOS Rebel XS (aka 1000D) that has a Canon EFS 18-55mm lens. I have been using it for about 5 months now and really just take pictures of my kids and family.

I do however notice now that I really need a better lens with better zoom capabilities and wondering what my next purchase should be. I really think I just need something a little bit better than what I have to get closer to subjects but I really do not want to lug around something too big either.

What would the next logical step for me? Would this be a 70-300mm or would I do better with something less? Does it matter what brand I buy or will any SLR lens work with my canon?

Price is also a factor, I am not trying to win any photography competitions or take closeup shots of small robins in the snow!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

A 70-300mm lens is a good one if you're on budget.
    The Sigma 70-300 lens is pretty good for the price (and its one of the cheapest lens around). Sure its AF is slow and a lot of times you'll find it better to just switch to manual focus, but for its price, its pretty good quality and has good telephoto power. Though its quite a useless lens in low light unless you've got a tripod. Its decent during daytime though and you wouldn't really need a tripod under bright lightning. Its macro feature is pretty decent too.

And there are many lens manufacturers that make lenses for the canon mount. You've just gotta check before you buy a lens if its got the canon EF mount or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What do you want to photograph with the new lens?

Is it still the kids but further away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

CabanSail wrote: »
    What do you want to photograph with the new lens?

Is it still the kids but further away?

yes just my kids - and the move quite quickly!

The lens I currently have you need to be right up beside them to get a decent shot.

Well, if they move too quickly then you might find the sigma 70-300 a wee bit slow. Though if they're not too quick, it should do the job.

I can get the Sigma 55-200mm for same price as the Sigma 70-300mm. Any advantages of the 200 over the 300?

PS you are right about price! bargain!

• Advertisement

Well, there's the obvious one that the 300 gets you closer than 200, the 70-300 also has a macro feature which is pretty decent...
    It is a really good lens for the price. The next step up from this lens costs like 3 times as much...
    Like here's a pic i took from the lens from about 15ft away at full 300mm focal length:
    3231328029_f93ca3c142.jpg
    Its quite soft at the 70mm and 300mm focal lengths but is reasonably sharp in the middle area of 100-200mm range.

ok - deal done.

I have ordered the Sigma 55-200. Just read some online reviews of the two and it looks like while I obviously lose zoom capabilities I gain in quality and some of the issues you talk about.

I got it online for $114 new. (that's only EUR88).

I may even order the 300 later if I like this one.

af_thefragile - thanks again. My newest daughter's christening is next Sunday so I hope the new lense arrives by then.

I don't think you'ld need the 70-300 now as you've ordered the 55-200. There're both decent lenses but the extra focal length makes little difference in real life. You could just crop out your pic like.
    But yeah, if you're on budget, then its a good buy. Have a good time with your new lens!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

dazzerb wrote: »
    I got it online for $114 new. (that's only EUR88).

There is the matter of the VAT Lottery. Still seems a decent price. Where did you order it?

47th Street Photo in New York although I should point out that I live in the states.

http://www.47stphoto.com/

Lens is listed at $139 but it was automatically discounted to $114 when I ordered it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement