Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router

Options
  • 08-02-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi all just a quick question iam with ntl and have a netgear wireless G router would there be any benefit in getting an N router does it make things a little quicker cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

it depends on if the wireless card is wireless n compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Thanks for reply how do i find this out:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

did you get it from NTL?

i've hear s a lot of reports that the one NTL is giving away is brutal, so you might well see an improvement.

one sure way to tell is to plug yor PC directly into your modem instead of going via the router and find out.

if you get faster speeds directly from th modem than via wireless then you should see a speed increase with a better router.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

decdev wrote: »
    Hi all just a quick question iam with ntl and have a netgear wireless G router would there be any benefit in getting an N router does it make things a little quicker cheers:)

The 54Mbps 802.11g can do nearly 40Mbs to 80Mbs in 108Mbps/125Mbps Turbo G mode if the laptop is compatible and 20Mbps to 40Mbps in regular g mode.

Unless you have faster actual internet speeds more than 20Mbps, 802.11n makes no difference. If you have a server and separate 1Gbps switch and several PCs on 1Gbps, then 802.11n might be useful for laptop / home server traffic.

Most built-in WiFi is 54Mbps 802.11g. I upgraded my built-in 802.11a/b to 802.11a/b/g/TurboG and put Dlink MIMO turboG router so my laptop can connect to my server using 108Mbps WiFi at same time as WiFi phone on 45Mbps on a different channel.

You can't use MIMO/TurboG/802.11n at same time as a Video sender as the WiFi uses virtually all the channels.

Advertisement