Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing craft in Galway docks

Options
  • 08-02-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

I was taking a walk out around the docks in Galway today with my son to blow the cobwebs out of the camera and came across an ex US Army Landing Craft Utility by the name of Chateau-Thierry. I have done a couple of searches and have found that it has the reg LCU-1679 and was retired in Nov 2002 and that is about all. Anyone know anything else about it?, Where it was before it was in Galway?, what it is doing here? and where it is heading for, if any further? I have up loaded some pictures on the military forum for those that might be interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This boat caught my eye too! Would love to get some info about it. Did you see the spare propeller's on the deck? They're huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

It was built in 1977 by Marinette Marine Corp and sold in 2003. If you click on the link and scrool down you will see the details of the vessel it was built for the US Army.

http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/history/shipyards/2large/active/marinette.htm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Please let it be for an armed invasion. Those Aran Islanders have been getting cocky recently and need to be sùbjugated...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Can't we just send a box of Chinese finger traps like last time? That kept them occupied for over 26 peaceful years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Can't we just send a box of Chinese finger traps like last time? That kept them occupied for over 26 peaceful years.
    They figured out how to use them as a weapon.

It was like that scene in 2001...

• Advertisement
Advertisement