Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get RSI/PPS number off landlord?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We finished up with my landlord late last year and can't get the PPS number off him. I've asked him a few times but he isn't getting back with it.

Is there any other way to find out what it is?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

Hi,
    I've asked him a few times but he isn't getting back with it.

he prob isnt telling cos he's not registered!! you should report him... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

Hi, Can I ask what you need their number for? If you're putting in an application for rent relief through the revenue.ie website, the landlords pps number isn't necessary- just their name and address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

he prob isnt telling cos he's not registered!! you should report him... :pac:

Where do I stand regarding getting my money back if he's not registered?
    Teamhar wrote: »
    Hi, Can I ask what you need their number for? If you're putting in an application for rent relief through the revenue.ie website, the landlords pps number isn't necessary- just their name and address.

I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

have you heard of freedom of speech act ?
    no ?
    well its mind your own business , so get the hint

no ?

This makes no sense. Post reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

workaccount, the Revenue are usually able to determine the landlord's PPS number from name and address. I'm sure they'll contact you if necessary, but I'm not aware of them ever having done so.
    no ?
    Pardon?

Sorry, not sure where that outburst came from or why!

I've registered with revenue for rent relief for three seperate landlords and didn't need the pps number for any of them. You'll note that required information on the webform is marked with an asterisk and landlords pps number isn't one of them.

If there is an issue with a deposit being returned, best get in touch with the PRTB

http://www.prtb.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

no ?

No such thing.

Landlords must provide PPS numbers by law to tenants.

So either they provide now or get reported for not doing so orignally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

no ?

Sounds like someone has a skeleton in the closet. OP, report the joker. With the country on its knees, people need to collective action against what seems to be a recurring theme amongst landlords i.e. not paying tax.

DJDC wrote: »
    Sounds like someone has a skeleton in the closet. OP, report the joker. With the country on its knees, people need to collective action against what seems to be a recurring theme amongst landlords i.e. not paying tax.

I'd like to report him but I don't want to get involved with any hassle. In fact I don't want to have to do anything apart from ring up a number and say this landlord isn't registered.

Can I do that and that only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Agent J wrote: »
    No such thing.

Landlords must provide PPS numbers by law to tenants.

So either they provide now or get reported for not doing so orignally.

Incorrect. You have no right to ask anyone for their PPSN. Can only be asked by Civil/Public servants when you try to access a public/state service. Not even the Gardai can ask you for your PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can we keep this thread constructive and remove the tone?
    You have no right to ask anyone for their PPSN.
    You can "ask". Perhaps one may not "demand".

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

how do u apply for rent relief? what is it actually??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Incorrect. You have no right to ask anyone for their PPSN. Can only be asked by Civil/Public servants when you try to access a public/state service. Not even the Gardai can ask you for your PPSN.

Be that as it may, the PPSN of the landlord is needed to claim tax credits. Good information can be got here and if all comes to all, it's possible to report them to the private residential tenancies board. The landlord is obliged to register themselves unless they are a relative to you, or are also resident at the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Claim using this form, or do it online (www.revenue.ie).

Rent relief is just an extra tax credit and anyone who rents is entitled to it- means you come out with a bit more cash in your hand at the end of the month! Nice thing with this is you can claim it retrospectively and you might get a refund for previous years.

https://www.revenue.ie/selfservice/login.faces

You can check all your tax credits on this site. You'll need your pps number and a pin, which should be printed on your most recent tax cert. A bit off topic, but through this website you can also request a p21, which audits your tax payments over a chosen year and once again, you might get a refund. I got a refund of around 250 while my fiance signed up for all his credits, including rent relieft and ended up with a cheque for 850!

Its your money- get it back!

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

did u have a lease on property ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You can download application form here .

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section6

You do not need to find out the PPS number of your Landlord.

Your claim will be settled with the tax office , once you claim goes through , and the tax office will then follow up the landlords situation , .
    Landlords address or indeed the address of rented property should be sufficient for your claim for Rent Relief

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Victor wrote: »
    Can we keep this thread constructive and remove the tone?You can "ask". Perhaps one may not "demand".

Don't want to offend anyone in any way. But I do know that there are regulations issued by DSFA indicating who can and who cannot ask you for your PPSN. There is a specific list of Public Bodies that can require you to give them your PPSN, and the Gardai are not among those listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Might want to recheck that one.

The PRTB gets the PPSN of the land lord and all tenants.
    That is done by the landlord.

Techinically then no PRTB registration could happen without the tennants providing their PPSNs to the landlord for the application in the 1st place. Thats a good way to immediatly know if the landlord is on the level.

When you claim Tax back on rent the revenue can ask for a receipt from you which must show the landlords name, address and PPSN. Which you must then get from the landlord.

So if you really want to be techinically the renvue are making a request via the person claiming the rent relief who then goes to the landlord to get his details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement