Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tony adams is gone superdooperthread

• 08-02-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

just watching BBC pl highlights and they have said tony adams is gone

now ssn are saying the same
    Sky Sports News sources understand Portsmouth manager Tony Adams is expected to be sacked on Monday morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

Just heard that Adams may have just got the sack. Was on MOD2.
    Pity, think he will turn into a good manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

on MOTD2 they just said that they have just heard that Tony Adams is either about to be or already has been sacked as manager of portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

SSN saying that he has been sacked.

TBH, should they not have done that pre-Liverpool? I mean, it was hardly a poor or shocking result that they lost the game.

With Ince, and now Adams, and Southgate looking very ropey, alot of teams may be alot more reluctant to give young 'great' players, jobs as managers. I would certainly hate to see Shearer cut his teeth at the Toon. A good 2-3 seasons in the lower leagues, followed by a coaching/assistant role in the prem, would be mandatory before I could consider him a legitimate candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

think i heard somewhere he had been :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I think 6/7 years in the lower leagues (unless you're good enough to take your team up a few divisions) should be a bare minimum before a manager is considered for an established PL side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

" has tony adams been sacked?
    think i heard somewhere he had been "

Ha great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think 6/7 years in the lower leagues (unless you're good enough to take your team up a few divisions) should be a bare minimum before a manager is considered for an established PL side.

Possibly. I think it depends on the nature of the person, and who they work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

SSN now reading emails from Pompey fans

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so Avram Grant maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

to be fair he did manage Wycombe Wanderers and spent some time in holland as a coach

then spent a season as assistant coach of pompey

he has some experience

but i what i find very strange. he was one of the best cb backs of his generation and couldnt coach pompeys back line

distan use to be a good defender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Headshot wrote: »
    to be fair he did manage Wycombe Wanderers and spent some time in holland as a couch

Was wondering why his team seemed so slack :pac:

to be fair he did manage Wycombe Wanderers and spent some time in holland as a couch

he has some experience

Ye i think out of the other English Managers he maybe had the best route to the top job. It says he is going to be sacked tomorrow morning, if i was him i wouldnt go to work, so they couldnt sack me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Feel sorry for him, has had two key players sold from u nder him, has virtually no money to spend, from what I have seen of Portsmouth they have not been playing too badly, they just seem to lose concentration at key times.

maybe he got the sack for damaging club property. (dugout seat..)??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

to be fair he did manage Wycombe Wanderers and spent some time in holland as a coach

One year at Wycombe (winning less than 1 in every 4 games), six months coaching at Feyenoord [plus 2 weeks at Utrecht]

Two years as Harry's assistant.

Brian Kidd made a good #2, maybe that's Adams' lot in life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's got to be Alan Curbishley for the job I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One year at Wycombe (winning less than 1 in every 4 games), six months coaching at Feyenoord [plus 2 weeks at Utrecht]

Two years as Harry's assistant.

Brian Kidd made a good #2, maybe that's Adams' lot in life?

same as Sammy Lee.

he seems to have changed a lot from his playing days, much more dour these days...maybe the sauce was his Spinach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I liked the way he was setting the team up to play tbh. The defence was a shambles at the minute and he should of been given the next ten days at a minimum to get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pretty nuts to let him bring in 2 new players in the window, and then sack him after 1 game with them. Basinas looked good imo against pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm not surprised he's been sacked, but they did lose Diarra and Defoe, and they weren't that bad, they had a few good performances. Counts for nothing if you don't win games, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads don't tell anyone but my sister's boyfriend's cousin is a taxi driver in Israel and he just gave Avram Grant a lift to Tel Aviv airport. Dunno bout youse but I'm puttin the house on him as next Pompy manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dave! wrote: »
    Lads don't tell anyone but my sister's boyfriend's cousin is a taxi driver in Israel and he just gave Avram Grant a lift to Tel Aviv airport. Dunno bout youse but I'm puttin the house on him as next Pompy manager!

You know Abram Ibrahim too?
    Small world...

Unlikely to happen but wouldn't mind Adams back at Arsenal in some form of coaching capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The timing of this decision, when allied to the comings and goings during the January transfer window, indicate that the real problem at Pompey right now is that the club is being very poorly run.

Waiting to see what Fratton Fred makes of it all...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The timing of this decision, when allied to the comings and goings during the January transfer window, indicate that the real problem at Pompey right now is that the club is being very poorly run.

Spot on imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

should never have got the job imo. terrible choice for a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Jazzy wrote: »
    should never have got the job imo. terrible choice for a manager

Yip,Adams isnt really cut out for management I think,I knew he wouldnt last long there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have great time for Tony Adams, respected him as a player and from what I've heard he is a great assistant manager but he does not seem cut out for the top job.
    I think if he is ever going to make it he needs to show he can cut it at a lower level first. I think he is too much of a nice guy to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His post match interviews and general interaction with the media will certainly not have helped the public perception of the job he was doing, that's for sure. But again, I think any manager would be dragged down to a certain extent by the decisions being made over their head.

• Advertisement

there was a lot of simple problems with adams tho.
    take aurelios goal on saturday for example. he had niko krancjar on the near side post instead of a proper full back with peter crouch in front. my mate (who is an ex- shamrock rovers youth player) said to me at the time "watch, this will be a goal. crouch will jump, krancjar shouldnt be there and the ball is going to be going in low and hard" and alas, what happens? exactly that.
    simple things. full backs on the posts for those situations. taller players marking the places where their height will matter (crouch should have been at the far side of the wall in case pool decided to go high and left) and general organisation from set pieces. if an ex-LoI youth player was able to call that and tony adams wasnt, he is definately in the wrong racket

i dont mind anyway, cheers for the 3 points tony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

We are skint and Tony was all that we could afford. Our owner has taken a big hit in the recession and we are paying for it now.

we had a lot of players on big salaries which meant we had to sell Diarra, although i won't include Defoe in this because he was going anyway once Arry left. TBH, losing Defoe and Diarra was a blow, but we had also sold good squad players, like Mendes, O'Neil and Taylor and not replaced them.

Our position of 7th when TA took over was artificial tbh, it was mainly because all the teams aroound us were losing. Don't forget our thrashing at Man city under Harry, people seem to forget that.

I'm sorry to see Tony Adams go, I had a lot of hopes for him, but something had to be done. I'm hoping Avram Grant will take over, i think he would make an excellent manager and a lot of Harry's success is, I think, down to his spell as head coach. being mates with our owner and his Dad should help a bit there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

About time they dropped the dead donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Must say this seems a silly move.

Portsmouth haven't been entirely dreadful under Adams, just unlucky. Add to that the team's been gutted, and you wonder what exactly was expected of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Zombie club. Owner wants to sell, but can't find a buyer. Unwilling to spend anymore money. Can only go in one direction.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Zombie club. Owner wants to sell, but can't find a buyer. Unwilling to spend anymore money. Can only go in one direction.
    Oh really, surely he wouldn't sack the manager then, or will it not cost money to replace him?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oh really, surely he wouldn't sack the manager then, or will it not cost money to replace him?

Big difference between, trying to sell a premiership club than a championship one. Main difference being the price.

Big difference between, trying to sell a premiership club than a championship one. Main difference being the price.
    You said he wasn't willing to spend money.
    Are you now saying he is willing to spend money?

Whats up, got out of bed the wrong side? - Go pick an arguement with someone else. Have a nice day now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I have great time for Tony Adams, respected him as a player and from what I've heard he is a great assistant manager but he does not seem cut out for the top job.
    I think if he is ever going to make it he needs to show he can cut it at a lower level first. I think he is too much of a nice guy to do the job.

tbh, i agree the man is a legend, but he'll never be a decent manager. tbh he had his chance at the lower leagues and it from talking to those who followed him it was obvious he just wasn't going to be cut out for it. He just doesn't come across as the type of guy assertive to be a manager. great team player, good coach, but not the free thinker independent personaility type needed for management imo.

band-aid type short term economics. invest as little as possible until absolutely necessary in order to keep the ship afloat and in the hope of offloading all structural and insitutional flaws to the incumbants (heh, it worked for Bertie :)).

there was a lot of simple problems with adams tho.
    take aurelios goal on saturday for example. he had niko krancjar on the near side post instead of a proper full back with peter crouch in front. my mate (who is an ex- shamrock rovers youth player) said to me at the time "watch, this will be a goal. crouch will jump, krancjar shouldnt be there and the ball is going to be going in low and hard" and alas, what happens? exactly that.

You can't be serious with this? You wouldn't practice on what players should be on the posts for an indirect free kick! And you would always have your two wide players on the posts from the corners as the better players are the full backs for heading the ball.

That's the most rediculous argument I've seen:rolleyes:

EDIT: And so what if your mates an ex-Rovers youth. Whoopdy do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SantryRed wrote: »
    You can't be serious with this? You wouldn't practice on what players should be on the posts for an indirect free kick! And you would always have your two wide players on the posts from the corners as the better players are the full backs for heading the ball.

agreed. for a situation like that you want the players who are best at closing down in and around the six yard box. players on the post are simply a last gasp attempt at preventing a goal. besides, with the deflection that took there are very few defenders in the world who could have reacted in time, i don't think it made too much of a difference. For me the blame for that goal lies squarely with Crouch, as a manger all you can do in that situation is hope your big players spread themselves out as much as possible.

Zombie club? the club has moved on enormously since Sacha took over but, like a lot of other people, he has lost a lot of money. We have got three players in the England squad, one of whom has just signed an extended new contract. Planning applications are ongoing for the new ground and work is due to start for the training ground and academy.

We are still at least a division above southampton, so it's not all doom and gloom:D

But isn't he trying to sell the club? Both Adams and Harry have stated that he is not prepared to put more money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I blame Liverpool
    :pac:

But isn't he trying to sell the club? Both Adams and Harry have stated that he is not prepared to put more money in.

He has put the club up for sale, but has also admitted that the club needs money spent in order for it to attract a good price.

the owner is still involved and still putting his hand in his pocket, but i think he just isn't wealthy enough to fund all that needs doing.

Never listen to redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

When will chairmen learn? You have to give managers time and give the club some sort of consistency....

Adams wasn't doing too badly. He was just quite unlucky. They were playing some nice football, just the defence was a shambles at times.

Selling their best assets as well didn't help matters. Looks like they are making Adams the scapegoat.

SantryRed wrote: »

EDIT: And so what if your mates an ex-Rovers youth. Whoopdy do.

yes, but hes been through training for this sort of thing at a higher level then most of us and he has said that full backs always on the posts if ur defending a shot like that. niko krancjar is tiny and not a defender.. wat the hell was he doing there? and its not like my mate was talking sh1t because he was bang right. and yes - in the event of an indirect free kick, u do get organised and occasionally practice. you dont just stick a big gangly striker in the way and hope things go for the best. they are professional footballers after all. adams didnt have them organised in the slightest

yes, but hes been through training for this sort of thing at a higher level then most of us and he has said that full backs always on the posts if ur defending a shot like that. niko krancjar is tiny and not a defender.. wat the hell was he doing there? and its not like my mate was talking sh1t because he was bang right. and yes - in the event of an indirect free kick, u do get organised and occasionally practice. you dont just stick a big gangly striker in the way and hope things go for the best. they are professional footballers after all. adams didnt have them organised in the slightest

You can't be serious. It's David James fault for not sorting out how they should of been closing it down. Every player should have been on the line and chasing it down. Not just one. Having whichever player on the post doesn't really make a difference in all fairness.

Advertisement