Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greg Jacksons gameplan

• 07-02-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

Greg Jacksons gameplans can involve dropping early rounds with a view to executing a fight ending gameplan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

dunkamania wrote: »
    Greg Jacksons gameplans can involve dropping early rounds with a view to executing a fight ending gameplan.
    Can you give me an example of this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Please do not answer that challenge dunk! Its posts like that that destroy threads. Soon we will have quotes from other web sites and a back and fort pointless arguement.

Somebody please think of the children!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Start it in a new thread with some links to evidence

Please do not answer that challenge dunk! Its posts like that that destroy threads. Soon we will have quotes from other web sites and a back and fort pointless arguement.

Somebody please think of the children!!:)
    Its a legitimate enough question.

Taking into mind the fickleness of some ufc judges I find it unlikely that Jacksons gameplan would involve purposely "dropping early rounds". Maybe he does though, im just asking for an example? Its a fair enough question considering the statement.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It doesnt have anything to do with Machida and his title shot. If its a genuine question then start a new thread.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

DeVore wrote: »
    It doesnt have anything to do with Machida and his title shot. If its a genuine question then start a new thread.

DeV.

If Machida is to fight Rashad for the title then it's relevant enough as Greg Jackson trains Rashad

Dropping any rounds to Machida is a bad idea I think. He's not the sort of guy who I think can be fooled easily, and I doubt a load of low kicks will be effective either!

DeV.
    lol In that case the moderator should have made a new thread when he made his statement, as it had no reference to Machida or his title shot in it. A Statement was made regarding a jackson strategy. I simply asked for an example to be given.

If a new thread was needed everytime this type of situation arose - the boards would be clogged with warrentless threads. This type of extreme moderation would do nothing but destory the sprirt of these boards and discourage healthy dicsussion - the very essence of these forums.. Theres always going to be a natural digression in a thread as it evloves. thats o.k, its totally organic. As long as it is moderated with sound judegment its a postive.

If a statement is made without any evidence put forth, its perfectly reasonable to ask for some without having to start a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Its very reasonable gino, but nobody on here takes reasonable with a pinch of salt. Every post is taken as a personal insult or a test of your intellect.
    And then when a mod tries to get things moving along his/her post is taken totally the wrong way and we get "Freedom of Speech" posts.

The post about Greg Jackson dropping rounds is baffling to me :confused: but asking for examples just opens up a can of worms.
    You've seen what happens in other threads.

Its just easier if we dont get into it, thats all. :o

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A single post that makes a OT comment is one thing, taking the thread into a tangential arc is something else.

Now, if you want to continue to talk about some other fighter dropping rounds or the validity of that as a tactic... new thread in this forum please.

If you want to question this decision, please use Helpdesk.

If you want to discuss the validity of this approach, please use Feedback.

But this thread, right here, is for the discussion of Machida and his validity as contentant for the belt. And it goes back on topic, now, by hook or by crook when I submit this post. Thanks.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

And all i wanted when I started this thread was Answers like yes,no who else is in contention.
    The Greg jackson thing is interesting just start new thread is all i'm saying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

:rolleyes:

Have created a new thread for discussion on Greg Jacksons gameplans.

No need for 10 posts on whether or not a new thread needs to be created, just PM me.

Anyway, the fight i was talking bout was Evans v Liddell, Evans went out there to frustrate Liddell by being evasive, which would mean dropping the first round. Once Rashad had a feeling for Chucks timing, he stated swinging.

I dont have the link but I remeber Jackson responding to criticism by saying that a gameplan didnt have to involve winning every round.

Keep discussion on topic. If you have any issues about why I moved this thread, pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Yeah I remember the quotes, I think Rashad mentioned it in the post fight interview and Jackson confirmed it a few days later. I don't think it was much a case of dropping the round as not being too worried about winning it, concentrating primarily on getting the timing.

In a regular fight of 3 x 5 minute rounds, could this work?? It strikes me that there wouldnt be enough time to make it work but then I've never been in an MMA fight :)

In a championship 5x5 minute round, tactically you have more time to drop a couple of rounds and still come back or end the round. It seems risky though, no?

I cant speak about the fighters and it must surely depend on their cardio but as a tactician I wouldnt really recommend it. If you have the skills and dominanting talent to pull this off wouldnt you be better trying to end things asap?

All of that said, GSP's tactics seemed well thought through against BJPenn when he said he fought in close to make Penns shoulders fill with fluid and make him slower.

I dont have the experience in the ring, but I play a lot of tactical games and 3 interactions with an enemy wouldnt be enough space to pull off anything other then a straight forward assault imho.

Make sense to anyone?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

During the break between rounds 1 and 2 you could hear Jackson saying to him "Did you get the timing...did you get the timing?" Rashad says "yeah I think so" we all know what happened 80 seconds later.

I'd say it can work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I dont have the experience in the ring, but I play a lot of tactical games and 3 interactions with an enemy wouldnt be enough space to pull off anything other then a straight forward assault imho.

Make sense to anyone?

DeV.

Not really, i would look at a 3 round set up as being an opportuinity to do a little bit more.

1) Feint
    2) Adjust
    3) Win.

The first interaction you would effectively fight your fight, but basically fight defensively, evade, avoid confrontation of your enemies strengths and learn what you can. Force them to show their hand a little.

In the second, based off what i had learned from the first, i would adjust my plans accordingly and go on the attack.

The third stanza would then be my insurance...finish them here if they are still going.

Edit : Also, if you take the example of Evans Vs Liddell, Chuck will happily knock you out moving on the back foot as you come forward, so perhaps the 3 round all out assault would not be the best move in this case?

Assaulting Lidell directly could NEVER be considered a good move in my book. :) Ask Babaloo. Ow.

I guess you would always have to be adjusting to the opponent but specifically we were talking about the idea of not being afraid of *dropping* rounds in the judges scoring in order to execute a specific game plan. In a three round fight you'd want to be fairly sure of getting a KO or you seriously risk a decision against you.

Its an interesting question....

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I guess if you don't think you can get the submission or the KO then don't get in the Cage?

The only plan that i ever think would be doomed to failure would be the attempt to fight to a UD. There should ALWAYS be the desire to end the night, to drop them or grab a limb.

Decisiveness of action wins fights. I have taken part in many sports, some team and some individual, some competitively and some just for fun. The simple thing that stands out to me about the individual athlete, the person who's hopes and dreams rely soley upon themselves, is that the good ones, the ones who succeed...they REALLY and TRULY believe in themselves. No matter what they day brings, they will find a way to win.

So, i can only assume that when he walked into the cage Rashad never questioned that he would get that knock out.

I know we tend to throw questions back and forth a bit Dev but now you have me thinking, once again, if Jackson could have implemented that plan with someone who lacked Rashad belief in himself.

I don't think so, as they would have feared dropping the rounds and not beingg able to come back. Once again, there are a lot of factors involved when you started talking nonsense about things on the internet.:)

I completely completely agree with you about the self belief. Also Rashad has a will to win that is simply unbelievable. Watching him during some of his fights *I* wanted him to quit because he was getting beaten to a pulp but he didnt and he won through sheer determination to not lose.

How many 3x5 fights go the distance? Quite a number I would guess so you do have to be smart too. Self belief is one thing but smarts is also needed. BJ has tons of self belief but he wasnt smart prior to or during the GSP fight imho.

Funny you mention Rashad because didnt someone say he has never attempted a submission? I cant see Machida attempting one either. Thats just a passing thought in my head, not really relevant.

DeV.

Advertisement