Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Moon Halo

• 09-02-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Has anybody seen the moon tonight, there's a huge halo ring around it, it loooks unreal, its hard to photograph but it still looks class!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

yeah pretty strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It better be there tomoro as i'm not getting out of my warm bed right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Nope, no halo around the moon from my bedroom....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I was just looking at it as its so clear and bright, its not quite full.
    Anyway I was considering hauling out the tripod....

Niall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I believe the halo is caused by ice crystals high in the atmosphere refracting the light of the moon, it's normally 22 degrees in radius because of the structure of the ice crystals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Yeah I noticed that this evening too... don't think it's that rare a sight though.

*will be kicking himself for not landing out with the camera if above statement proves v wrong...!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Yes the moon is incredible, I saw it earlier.

Now leading on from that. I would love to be able to photograph that, how would I go about it. What kind of camera, lens, zoom etc, would I have to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Thats no moon. Its a space station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Anyone get any photos of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jon061

Yip coylemj is right their called moon-dogs this can happen to the sun as well so thats called a sun-dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It happens to Reservoirs too and they are called Reservoir Dogs.

;>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

get your coat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

queen-mise wrote: »
    Yes the moon is incredible, I saw it earlier.

Now leading on from that. I would love to be able to photograph that, how would I go about it. What kind of camera, lens, zoom etc, would I have to have.

Ideally you will have focal length >> 300mm (35 equiv) & the camera/lens mounted on a tripod. The luminance of the moon can vary, so it would be best to Spot Meter on the moon. If you meter the whole frame it will probably over expose the moon itself. I would probably pick a medium Aperture (f8 - f11), as then you should get the best quality, and bracket the shutter speed. Remember the moon is moving, so very long exposures will blur (if it's an eclipse or such like.

It happens to Reservoirs too and they are called Reservoir Dogs.

That is just SO bad!!! Would hate to be Stuck in the Middle with You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TravelGirlCork

n641468162_1468426_4725.jpg

Taken in Cork at about 10pm last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I was wondering what ye were going on about, as from up around these parts, the moon looked perfectly normal, but as always a picture is worth..............you know the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Cabansail a focal length of greater than 300mm will not capture any moon halo at all. I had to go down to 10mm to fit it comfortably into the frame. I used a tripod and the exposure was about 10-15seconds. This isn't from last night I took it a few months ago, but same thing:

2942686067_1db05fc38f.jpg
    linkage

2943619735_3128a0ffbe.jpg
    linkage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The 300mm was to photograph the Moon on it's own.

You are correct that to get the halo you would shoot wider & longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Here's one I took at 14mm, ISO 100, F9

3266474134_78b361e9ef.jpg

Some other on my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishmul/sets/72157613511444355/

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Was the same here in Waterford...

f41bffcd31ac9133db270506c7fd2f8b_275.jpg

Adam.

Advertisement