Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I forget about Australia?

Options
  • 09-02-2009 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Ok folks, I worked in tourism in Ireland and was let go in December. I have just gone 36 but am one of the lucky ones in that I have found work within debt collection/risk control. Something I did successfully when times were good in Ireland. I have been speaking to a few people and they told me that there is no point trying to get work in Oz even in the tourism industry because first of all you won't get a visa and 2nd of all jobs are been lost in this industry as well. I have been going through a process on liveinaustralia.com but I am dubious about it. What can a site like that help me with a visa compared to an other method? I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts re this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

janullrich wrote: »
    Ok folks, I worked in tourism in Ireland and was let go in December. I have just gone 36 but am one of the lucky ones in that I have found work within debt collection/risk control. Something I did successfully when times were good in Ireland. I have been speaking to a few people and they told me that there is no point trying to get work in Oz even in the tourism industry because first of all you won't get a visa and 2nd of all jobs are been lost in this industry as well. I have been going through a process on liveinaustralia.com but I am dubious about it. What can a site like that help me with a visa compared to an other method? I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts re this.

Sorry about being let go and all

First up are you on a skills list that gets you here? I mean a qualification on the skills list and associated experience.

Secondly yes the jobs scenario is not good IMO.

In reality if you are fleeing Ireland because you think there is work here IMO dont, if you really want to live In Australia proceed but save up a bit of cash and be prepared for a long road to get here.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

At 36 you can't get a working holiday visa so it means getting sponsership (unlikely at the moment) or applying for residency (pricy and takes ages I hear) so it could be tricky.

As for jobs - got the bullet from my place last thursday. Have 2 months to arrange a new job and get a new visa together. Should be a fun few weeks. Had my first proper day searching for jobs today and I'm bricking it a bit to be honest, work isn't as plentyful as it was when I arrived a few years ago. I personally think the rep Australia has for being immune to this global recession is unwarranated - it will hit here, its just we are a few months behind the rest of the world.

Google the australian government websites for visa info by the way, its a nightmare to navigate around but if you are patient it is probably the most accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Getting work is very dificult. Prob no point whats the craic im hearing about Canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

thanks guys for the info. interesting to know. maybe even with the crappy weather I can survive with the new job hopefully!

Advertisement