Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100m home insulation programme unveiled

Options
  • 09-02-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0208/breaking31.htm

It's not a huge plan and it won't turn around the slump in construction jobs but it seems like a sensible plan that might actually be better for not being means tested. We would all probably agree that improving energy efficiency and reduce heating bills in our country's homes is a good thing. This just seems to be a straight cut and dry incentive to people with smallish grants to get around to doing this work now rather than putting it off for a few years.

Why I think this is better for not being means tested is that we want these grants to be snapped up quickly and the money used immediately by all levels of the public. This can be viewed as mostly a small stimulus package for parts of the construction sector that have long term viability with the Green benefits as a nice side effect. I'm not sure if I'd buy that it'll create 4,000 jobs but any good news in construction would be welcome at the moment given the glut of unemployed people from the sector.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

http://www.sei.ie/Grants/Pilot_Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/
    Assistance will be provided by the payment of fixed grants towards the costs of implementing remedial measures. The types of measures eligible under this scheme are roof insulation, wall insulation and heating controls. There is also a grant for households who choose to get a Building Energy Rating (BER) assessment Before and After the works are completed.

MEASURE CATEGORY GRANT *
    Roof Roof Insulation €250
    Wall Cavity wall insulation €400
    Internal Wall Dry-Lining €2,500
    External wall insulation €4,000
    Heating Controls High Efficiency Gas or Oil fired Boiler with Heating Controls Upgrade €700
    Heating Controls Upgrade €500
    BER Assessment A Before works and an After works assessment must be completed €200

I think those amounts will be too small for lower earners to afford the excess. Roof repairs can be alot more costy than 250quid!

Isn't it a bit late for this now the bubble is over?

So if the average spend is 500quid, its 200,000 homes. If the average is 2000quid, its 50,000 homes, not alot!
    They will need this scheme every year to cater for the huge amount of stock that does not qualify for the highest BER cert going.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gurramok wrote: »
    I think those amounts will be too small for lower earners to afford the excess. Roof repairs can be alot more costy than 250quid!

Roof repairs? The 250 grant is for laying new roof insulation, slightly different thing..
    gurramok wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit late for this now the bubble is over?

Eh, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

If they gave out more funding ,it might create a bit more confidence in people who are holding back on spending that little bit extra.
    Can't see the amount they're spending ,lasting anytime at all.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    If they gave out more funding ,it might create a bit more confidence in people who are holding back on spending that little bit extra.
    Can't see the amount they're spending ,lasting anytime at all.

Well, you can't blame them for being conservative with a new scheme especially when money is tight. If this doesn't prove popular then they haven't set too much aside for it. If it does the scheme can be expanded in future.

It's a great idea ,I had been talking with a building supplier months back. This is the very thing that could not only keep tradesmen at work ,but also suppliers in business.
    Upgrading will provide confidence in people again.

• Advertisement

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    It's a great idea ,I had been talking with a building supplier months back. This is the very thing that could not only keep tradesmen at work ,but also suppliers in business.
    Upgrading will provide confidence in people again.

The property sector ain't going to grow back to the size it was though stuff like this could keep it ticking over and generate tax revenues etc. There certainly isn't a shortage of idle builders around the place. :p

I had been doing work like this for the last few years ,through funding from the eu for energy.
    I'm sure if the greens sat down with other eu members ,they could put a spin on this and get more funding.

I've had friends out of work since last year because of the slow down ,so this isn't news to me at the moment. One of my friends went to work for dublin bus last year and was struggling as it was:o

Advertisement