Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you dislike Liverpool?

• 09-02-2009 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Going through the threads, it's pretty obvious that the vast majority want Liverpool to fail this season.

I genuinely don't understand this. And I'm not just saying this because I'm a Liverpool fan, and am biased. I honestly can't see it.

Why do you want Man Utd to win, a team who dominates pretty much every season, and want Liverpool, who haven't won the league in 19 years to fail.

I have a theory, but even that is pretty far-fetched.

Could someone please enlighten me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cause they're going to fail and I can't wait to be right tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Going through the threads, it's pretty obvious that the vast majority want Liverpool to fail this season.

I genuinely don't understand this. And I'm not just saying this because I'm a Liverpool fan, and am biased. I honestly can't see it.

Why do you want Man Utd to win, a team who dominates pretty much every season, and want Liverpool, who haven't won the league in 19 years to fail.

I have a theory, but even that is pretty far-fetched.

Could someone please enlighten me.

They play boring football.
    Their manager is frustrating to say the least, comical at times.
    You'd never hear the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

SantryRed wrote: »

But why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Because every year will be their year but it's funny when it doesn't turn out that way.

Liverpool fans in general think they have some God-given right to the title when they don't.

(There's a genuine question in the thread so just stick to that. Any OT posts, flaming, etc will make me close it)

• Advertisement

They play boring football - I completely disagree
    Their manager is frustrating to say the least, comical at times - OK, I'll give you that one
    You'd never hear the end of it - I know, It'll be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Because I don't like the owners, I don't like the manager, I don't like a lot of the players, I don't like how they play football and I don't like a lot of the fans.

Other than that they're a good team.

EDIT: I also don't like the way that they have a rubbish youth system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I should think, and hope, that a majority of non Utd fans would want anyone else but Utd to win.

What is your theory anyway OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Xavi6 you're the troll with a comment like that, its UTD fans who think they have a god given right. Most Liverpool fans are nervous not arrogant.

mike65 wrote: »
    Xavi6 you're the troll with a comment like that, its UTD fans who think they have a god given right. Most Liverpool fans are nervous not arrogant.

That's not trolling, that's my belief so keep your accusations to yourself.

If they didn't think they had some right to it then every year wouldn't be proclaimed as their year. The 18 titles thing is rammed down the throats at every available opportunity. It's desperately clinging to history that is nearly 20 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

As a Chelsea fan there's one really obvious reason that I want United to win over Pool. Pool are bottlers and they always will be until they actually win a league. At the start of every year unless Arsenal improve there are only ever two teams that can win the league. Chelsea and United. arsenal are too weak and mentally, Liverpool might as well be Derby. However the odds say that one year they will finally break the duck and win. When that day comes it'll be bad news for Chelsea and Man Utd. Also, their fans aren't nice (put in the only way I can to avoid a ban)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Probably because many on here still have a vengeful hate for Liverpool who dominated the 80's much the way United dominated the 90's.

I really do not think Mr Alan is typical of fans on this board :)

Nobody has a god given right to win the title. Liverpool just haven't been good enough to win it since 89/90. When they are, they will. It's not rocket science.

Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Surely it doesn't count when the majority of Liverpool fans here also agree that they will ultimately not win the league? You aren't exactly putting your neck on the line like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

stovelid wrote: »
    Nobody has a god given right to win the title. Liverpool just haven't been good enough to win it since 89/90. When they are, they will. It's not rocket science.

Next.

This
    Surely it doesn't count when the majority of Liverpool fans here also agree that they will ultimately not win the league? You aren't exactly putting your neck on the line like.

And, eh, this. The amount of Liverpool fans (even on this board) who have declared at any point that this will 'be our year' or 'we are looking good for the title' are very much in the minority. I, and many others, would be delighted with closing the gap between us and the eventual winners at the end of the season - and are currently delighted with the fact that we are in the discussion (even slightly) as we approach the middle of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i have to admit i do know a lot of self rightous pool fans myself who go on about the history non stop and frankly, get on everyone wick. But these guys are typically the guys who know the least about the actual football, and regurgitate what the star or Sky sports pundits have said that week.

Most of the actually football fans who follow liverpool are grand.

QFT to the two posts above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

F**k the begrudgers - can't see why it should bother you really.

In addition: United are not the problem. Four teams other than Liverpool have won the title since 1990. No use whining and pointing the finger at United. The problem is Liverpool's and Liverpool's alone.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Because every year will be their year but it's funny when it doesn't turn out that way.

Liverpool fans in general think they have some God-given right to the title when they don't.

I cannot think of one Liverpool fan who thinks that Liverpool will win the league this season, can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

benitez tactics and team selections are often terrible
    there squad is full of some good players and some terrible ones
    i really hate there play style!

I dont hate liverpool tbh, i just hate those who think they can win the league with benitez is charge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I cannot think of one Liverpool fan who thinks that Liverpool will win the league this season, can you?

No, but instead they want Benitez sacked. That gets at me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

all of you did before xmas

The only thing that has changed this season is that for the first time in a long time Man Utd fans are actually having to consider the ultimate nightmare - Liverpool win No 19 and SAF throwing in the towel before he can achive his "mission" in life completely.

Hence the "hate" such as it exists.

nuxxx wrote: »

I am gonna call shenanigans on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Because DR Pepper is apparently misunderstood.

I'm sure I could trawl through a few threads and find people who were saying it before Christmas. The 'this is our year' thing does get weeded out every year. It happened after the Champions League win, it happened after Torres, and it'll probably happen next season.

The difference is United fans actually have a reason to be cocky and have high expectations when it comes to the Premiership title.

It really gets on my wick as well. It is probably these idiots, with their unrealistic expectations, that are also the ones that think Liverpool should automatically be contenders for the league despite reality.

I actually hate the Liverpool fans, or anyone else for that matter, who have an issue with Rafa Benitez.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I could trawl through a few threads and find people who were saying it before Christmas. The 'this is our year' thing does get weeded out every year. It happened after the Champions League win, it happened after Torres, and it'll probably happen next season.

The difference is United fans actually have a reason to be cocky and have high expectations when it comes to the Premiership title.

Find a single post from any Liverpool supporter who is a regular contibutor on this forum - bet you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

nuxxx wrote: »

o rly?
    I'm sure I could trawl through a few threads and find people who were saying it before Christmas. The 'this is our year' thing does get weeded out every year.

go for it imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

But it could be argued that his January and Feb selections threw the title away. Liverpool confounded the critics and survived without Torres, then threw it away in early 09. Much of it due to bizarre selections. You simply wouldnt get Jose or Fergie doing similar line ups if they were in charge.

Find a single post from any Liverpool supporter who is a regular contibutor on this forum - bet you can't.

So only regular contributors are real Liverpool fans?

Trying to answer about a dozen posts in one here.

Look over the years since Liverpool won the league. Who's won it the most times? Man Utd. Therefore I think that my statement that Man Utd dominates is very valid.

I agree that nobody has a God-given right to win anything, but you must surely agree that we will win the league. If not this year, in the very near future. We are constantly improving (sometimes in spite of internal decisions), and are a major threat.

My theory, which some of you actually partially mentioned, is that people are afraid of history. When Liverpool come back to power, you're afraid that Liverpool will dominate for years, as Man U have done.

PS Thanks to whichever mod rephrased the thread title

Ok, find a Liverpool fan that said it was our year or something to that extent..

Edit: you will obviously find 1 or 2 but your original point is completely inaccurate and is another example of your obvious distain and prejudice for anything Liverpool related. I called you up on a post last week and this is more proof for the above accusation.

• Advertisement

course not, but you can get a feel for what a person is like once they post a decent amount. Plenty of posters come in and spout random tripe and then disppear again. I suspect a lot of these do it just to annoy people or get a rise rather then actually believing it. It just makes more sense to judge things said by people who post more consistently as you can tell if they're genuine or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I do not dislike Liverpool FC but I do dislike the brand of football they have been playing for the last 10 years.
    Liverpool always had a tradition of playing good football ,something that even rival supporters deep down admired.

Principally I do not like Benitez's style of football ,it is ultra negative and boring to watch.
    I did not like him at Valencia where he was lucky to inherit a good squad.

To be honest I'd prefer to watch paint dry than watch Liverpool .
    Everything is played at top speed with them,they only have one gear ,one paced,no sublety.

I do not like Benitez as a person ,he is a moaner .
    He has squandered hundreds of millions on bum players .

Finally I am amused by the number of Liverpool supporters who foolishly believe that this season will be theirs and believe Liverpool play good football.
    Benitez will never win the Premiership at Liverpool.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I will admit to being one of the people who defended Rafa at every turn, but I have to say, recent decisions have made me lose some faith in him. Most notably, the whole Keane situation. Honestly, if Liverpool finish outside the top 2, or outside 5 points of the winners, I'll hope he's sacked.

Ok, find a Liverpool fan that said it was our year or something to that extent..

Edit: you will obviously find 1 or 2 but your original point is completely inaccurate and is another example of your obvious distain and prejudice for anything Liverpool related. I called you up on a post last week and this is more proof for the above accusation.

And why do I have to like Liverpool? What's the problem with me having that opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Trying to answer about a dozen posts in one here.

Look over the years since Liverpool won the league. Who's won it the most times? Man Utd. Therefore I think that my statement that Man Utd dominates is very valid.

I agree that nobody has a God-given right to win anything, but you must surely agree that we will win the league. If not this year, in the very near future. We are constantly improving (sometimes in spite of internal decisions), and are a major threat.

My theory, which some of you actually partially mentioned, is that people are afraid of history. When Liverpool come back to power, you're afraid that Liverpool will dominate for years, as Man U have done.

PS Thanks to whichever mod rephrased the thread title

One simple question for you - do you think you will win the League under Benitez?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

most of the regular posters here are more realistic and better informed then the random kids/blow ins.
    pretty much all of the liverpool supporters on this forum who contribute regularly have held the same line - "id love us to actually be in contention for the title after xmas" or "id love us to at least challenge this year".

sure, there are a few exceptions but by in large, we havent been "this is our year" or anything like that when it comes to actually talking seriously.

my theory on the OP tho - because we have the largest fanbase here. quite often ppl dont like to be affiliated with the largest/most popular crowd. school, work.. u name it, its always the same. thats why there was ABU's in school during the 90's

And why do I have to like Liverpool? What's the problem with me having that opinion?

You don't have to like Liverpool. You can post whatever you like about Liverpool but as a mod you should be expected to base them on something. Making prejudiced or inflammatory remarks or statements that are completely inaccurate is simply trolling. The fact that you are a mod and essentially making throllish statements on Liverpool related threads should result in your mod status stripped and see you dealt with like any other troll.

You seem confident that you are right so back up what you say with proof.

Hmmm slightly distasteful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Jazzy wrote: »
    most of the regular posters here are more realistic and better informed then the random kids/blow ins.
    pretty much all of the liverpool supporters on this forum who contribute regularly have held the same line - "id love us to actually be in contention for the title after xmas" or "id love us to at least challenge this year".

sure, there are a few exceptions but by in large, we havent been "this is our year" or anything like that when it comes to actually talking seriously.

my theory on the OP tho - because we have the largest fanbase here. quite often ppl dont like to be affiliated with the largest/most popular crowd. school, work.. u name it, its always the same. thats why there was ABU's in school during the 90's

But can't you see that you are not challenging this year - i mean Utd are 1-5 to win the title and its the beginning of February - wake up - the League is 2/3rds the way through and it is all but over.

The reason Liverpool are second is because Chelsea are in turmoil.

You don't have to like Liverpool. You can post whatever you like about Liverpool but as a mod you should be expected to base them on something. Making prejudiced or inflammatory remarks or statements that are completely inaccurate is simply trolling. The fact that you are a mod and essentially making throllish statements on Liverpool related threads should result in your mod status stripped and see you dealt with like any other troll.

You seem confident that you are right so back up what you say with proof.

Find me a trollish comment I have made. Everything I post I stand by as my opinion. That's what a message board is after all - a load of differing opinions. We don't all sing from the same hymn sheet. If that's what you want then there's plenty of LFC boards that will cater for it.

It's funny that you fire out the trolling accisation just because I have differing opinions on the club and its players. I would have thought that my posting record in itself would be enough to prove I am no troll and it's insulting that you would stick that in my face. So what if I'm a mod. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else, and that opinion has not changed since when I was just a regular user.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Because they play terrible football.
    Because they were the worst team to ever win a champions league.
    Because I can't hate Jaap Stam for a 10 minute blip.
    Because Benitez is a muppet.
    Because I think Carra was the most over rated CB in the world for about 4 years.
    Because Torres deserves a better club.
    Because every eejit who supports them gets aggressive when talking about football.
    Because They think the deserved the to win in Athens.
    Because Daniel Agger would look better in Red and Black.

I could go on.

Find me a trollish comment I have made. Everything I post I stand by as my opinion. That's what a message board is after all - a load of differing opinions. We don't all sing from the same hymn sheet. If that's what you want then there's plenty of LFC boards that will cater for it.

It's funny that you fire out the trolling accisation just because I have differing opinions on the club and its players. I would have thought that my posting record in itself would be enough to prove I am no troll and it's insulting that you would stick that in my face. So what if I'm a mod. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else, and that opinion has not changed since when I was just a regular user.

i think he just meant that you said we're always going on about this being our year, but aren't actually giving any links for anything for this. Just post another reason or something.

oh, and on a seperate note could you use your moderific powers to delete those pics on the previous page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Hmmm slightly distasteful...

Who, Me? Or your 'supporters'?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Yay, let's talk about Heysel.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement