Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training full time-beginner

Options
  • 09-02-2009 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Without a job and looking at my options, Im trying to find out if a beginner to boxing, mma, can join a club, work with a trainer full time?

By full time i mean train like your training for a bout. Not jsut a few classes a week but full on devotion to training, diet, and excersice for a period or time?

somthing along the lines of an MMA camp or full time boxing gym?

Ideally Id like to find a place to live for cheap(hot shower and bed) and next to a gym and devote myself to training for as long as I can.

I came to Ireland on with the intentions of finding some work and staying as I am from Ireland originally and moved to the States when I was younger. With no steady work and me wanting to stay longer id love to use my time here in Ireland to the fullest and go back to the states with a sence of accomplishment or knowing I did something different that tested me more than anything Ive done before.

Im on my way up to Dublin this week and will stop into a few places and ask around but any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

OconAir wrote: »
    Without a job and looking at my options, Im trying to find out if a beginner to boxing, mma, can join a club, work with a trainer full time?

By full time i mean train like your training for a bout. Not jsut a few classes a week but full on devotion to training, diet, and excersice for a period or time?

Ideally Id like to find a place to live for cheap(hot shower and bed) and next to a gym and devote myself to training for as long as I can.

I came to Ireland on with the intentions of finding some work and staying as I am from Ireland originally and moved to the States when I was younger. With no steady work and me wanting to stay longer id love to use my time here in Ireland to the fullest and go back to the states with a sence of accomplishment or knowing I did something different that tested me more than anything Ive done before.

Im on my way up to Dublin this week and will stop into a few places and ask around but any tips or advice would be appreciated.

You would probably have alot more luck in the States doing that than in Ireland. In major states like NY and Ca gyms have Morning Classes, Afternoon Classes and Evening classes so you can easily train in different disciplines without a schedule over lap. SBGI out in Kylemore as Noon classes on Wed and Fri IIRC and classes on Sat. The rest of the classes are during the evenings.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Have a look at the different mma clubs and their schedules.

http://kevinly.yore.ma/mmaclubs.html

Give it a few months and see what standard you are at and then start thinking about training more then what's on the schedule. THe Mma league is on every months and you can immediately start preparing for that.

The MMA world is your oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

would you not be better off in a different country, thailand springs to mind,
    cheap accomidation,
    more training options,

if you get injuries, highly likely, then treatment would be cheaper as well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

best of look in following your dreams man:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭cletus

Just a quick question, how are you planning on funding a years worth of full time training. Digs in Dublin, even basic ones, aren't cheap, and training three times a week will cost ten to fifteen euro a session, never mind trying to train 5-6 times a week, maybe twice a day, plus nutritionist and strength training. its definatly something I would love to do myself, but it won't be cheap

Aside from that, best of luck with it, and let us know how you get on with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donalcarmody

OconAir wrote: »

if your planning on dublin, id go for sbg with john kav, its out in kylemore and its 80 euros for wrestling thai bjj no gi and i think there is a new nutritionist.
    but id defo go and have a chat to john about joining the full time team...
    not sure ur going to get cheap accommodation up in dublin thou..

id got to thailand or brazil for a few years.. brazil you can stay for years and you get fined on the way out but its not tooo bad....
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 OconAir

r_obric wrote: »
    would you not be better off in a different country, thailand springs to mind,
    cheap accomidation,
    more training options,
    if you get injuries, highly likely, then treatment would be cheaper as well....

I've been looking into Thailand as well but don't know if I'll make it out there on this trip. Possibly in the future and once I get a bit of Mui Thai under my belt.
    Just a quick question, how are you planning on funding a years worth of full time training. Digs in Dublin, even basic ones, aren't cheap, and training three times a week will cost ten to fifteen euro a session, never mind trying to train 5-6 times a week, maybe twice a day, plus nutritionist and strength training. its definatly something I would love to do myself, but it won't be cheap

Aside from that, best of luck with it, and let us know how you get on with it

Funding after an initial 6-weeks of training would be the kicker. Id like to focus on just one aspect for now. Weather it be striking, BJJ, Mui Thai.
    Along with strength training and nutrition. If I havn't found some part time work to keep me going, I still have a gained some knowledge and will be in much better shape. And then would most likely return to the states and hopefully pick-up somewhere where i left off.

Thanks for the replies and info, very much appreciated.

Advertisement