Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefixes for Bands & Musicians?

Options
  • 09-02-2009 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Hi, is it possible to have prefixes added to the Bands&Musicians forum ? Something like this :
    [LEFT][B][Guitarist available]
    [Drummer availble]
    [Bass available]
    [Singer available]
    [Other available]

[Guitarist wanted]
    [Drummer wanted]
    [Bass wanted]
    [Singer wanted]
    [Other wanted][/B][/LEFT]

Also, perhaps more moderators to tidy up the forum a bit ? It seems that only miju is active.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I dont think prefixes are needed as there is a search function on the forum plus nearly everyone who does posted a wanted / offered "ad" puts something along the lines of "guitarist wanted" etc.

As for the forum needing mods Papa Smut is very active in modding Bands / Musicians (he's however more the silent modding type :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I posted a thread in Bands/Musicians to see what the regular users thought ot the idea, well to redirect them here as I don't think many people who use that forum are aware of or use either Development or Feedback.

Anyway, with regard your point that you can use the search function, having Prefixes makes searching easier.

Here's a screen grab of the first page of Bands/Musicians now...

bands.jpg

From that list I don't automatically know who's looking for what in every thread (ok , some are clear -Bass Player Available - but some aren't). The Prefixes mean if you're looking for a Guitarist or Singer or if you're a Drummer looking for a band then you can have your wacky thread title but also you've got a prefix that makes searching and using the forum easier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i would support this to be honest. having used the forum quite a bit back in the day, you tend to go there for something specific, i.e. looking for a specific instrument player, or looking for someone that needs you. i think it would be really handy to see at a glance who's looking for what.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sure, put it to the mod(s) who'll be affected by it and see what they think. There's no technical issue with implementing it.

Cheers.

With regards the mods involved.
    miju is one of them and he said this...
    miju wrote: »
    I dont think prefixes are needed as there is a search function on the forum plus nearly everyone who does posted a wanted / offered "ad" puts something along the lines of "guitarist wanted" etc.

And Papa Smut has said this....
    Papa Smut wrote: »
    I haven't thought a lot about it, but my first reaction is no. It is not needed. There is a search function and its a lot easier to mod from a spam perspective, phone numbers if all new threads are on the same page.

I think I've said my piece :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Personally I'm all for prefixes, it makes this forum a lot easier to manage. I'd put it to the users of the forum if I was a moderator.

I started a thread in the forum :)
    From what I can tell there's not much "traffic" per se, as in community traffic. People just seem to use it as a kind of classified section. There was a few lads who got a "Fat blues band" together for a jam though and fair balls to them.

Anyway, it's because of the type of forum it is and the traffic it gets that I thought the Prefixes would help as it's mainly just "Looking for" or "... Available" - I'm assuming that's precisely what the Prefixes were written for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I started a thread in the forum :)
    From what I can tell there's not much "traffic" per se, as in community traffic. People just seem to use it as a kind of classified section. There was a few lads who got a "Fat blues band" together for a jam though and fair balls to them.

Anyway, it's because of the type of forum it is and the traffic it gets that I thought the Prefixes would help as it's mainly just "Looking for" or "... Available" - I'm assuming that's precisely what the Prefixes were written for.
    i'm a little confused by papa smuts point regarding modding the forum :confused:

Ye know, me too.
    The Prefix I don't think affects anyone really :confused:
    It's just the addition of a filter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

on reflection it might be worth a try I suppose. However, I'd say maybe only 3-4 prefixes rather than a massive list of possible prefixes?

Suggestions peoples?

• Advertisement

Bargain alerts has 13 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346
    My OP has 10. I'm not sure to be honest, maybe cult has some ideas ?

I suppose you could just limit it to ...
    [B][Wanted] 
    [Available] 
    [Looking to start band][/B]

It's got some (Small) interest in a thread I started on the forum itself - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055483670

It's managed to stay on the first page which says a lot :p.
    As for everyone else and why they're not commenting/posting in it, well ye know what some folk are like. That particular forum seems like a train station tourist board for some at the minute.
    By the way, that's no repremandation on the Moderators :)

In this thread in Bands/Musicians I got 6 yes votes/posts
    • mrmojo said yes
    • rigsby said yes
    • Big Wave said yes
    • Spoonbadger thanked my first post
    • Conman thanked the first post and posted it'd be a good idea
    • Dord said it was agood idea - perhaps an option for Keys available/wanted ?I thought this would be covered by "other". Also instead of "Bass available/wanted" it should be "bassist" - my bad:o

Adam said yes (above) and miju gave it a tentative "worth a try"
    Papa Smut said his first reflection was no, not needed.
    7 votes from posters wouldn't say that that speaks for the whole forum - have a look at it, it's full of posters with only a handful of posts. Lots of people use Bands/Musicians just for looking for bands and, erm, musicians :)

Also, mr ham/mustard asked this...
    would having the location as part of the tag be practical? i've noticed that a lot of the time, the location is left out. lads reply with "where you based?" and nine times out of ten, the reply is
    dublin. :p

I'd also like that idea, it works great on Adverts I think. Unfortunately as with this whole idea, if people don't use it then it'll be crap - there'll be some threads with prefixes and some won't as some of the users seem unfamiliar with the VBulletin style forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Any chance of this being implemented?

It's a pain in the b*ll*cks trying to sift through the threads to find what I want.

There's a thread in the Band's forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055483670

I PM'd the mods before but they didn't seem anything more than luke warm to the idea.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement