Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying vinyl/ Record fairs

Options
  • 09-02-2009 7:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I've been to the record fairs in town ( I think organised by yer man who ran/owned Comet Records by the Bank). They were made up of a good few Irish lads and a few fellas from across the waters.

I didn't make it to the recent one but does anyone know how you'd get in touch with some of these, em, record collector/sellers ? Buying vinyl from the shops in town is sometimes a bit hit and miss. Especially for second hand stuff - that stall in Georges St Arcade has absolutely insane prices. Rubbish tattered second/third/fourth hand copies of Rumours by FleetWood Mac - €10. I got one in a UK record shop for £1!!!

Same goes for Neil Diamond's Jazz Singer soundtrack and Alice Cooper's Killer album. Both a tener and in rubbish condition. £1 for the former / less than £5 for the latter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

Is Imagine by John Lennon a rare record to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

You mean the single ? I wouldn't say so - it's been re-released dozens of times , Yoko must be roughing it up!

I found some Lennon/Yoko singles in a pile of rubbish records my Nanny gave me - included are Working Class Hero and Woman. My girlfriend also found the same 7inch singles in a pile she got from her nanny.

I'm sure there's some extra rare special edition of Imagine that has Lennons soul imprinted on it or something and there's two of them in the world and they're harder to find than the holy grail/....

Thanks but eh, anything in Dublin ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

i just bought queens greatest hits on record. im told it was a stupid idea because nobody buys the greatest hit of anybody, especially not on vinal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

i just bought queens greatest hits on record. im told it was a stupid idea because nobody buys the greatest hit of anybody, especially not on vinal

Buy whatever you like on any format you have a mind too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Tea Spoon

Any chance or likelihood of a big 2 day fair in Belfast? Vital who run the fairs in the North held the last one 5 years ago before Maysfield Leisure Centre closed for good and there has been nothing since. There are definitely any number of potential venues.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

+1 for the gemm and discogs links, best source for vinyl and valued correctly!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Tea Spoon wrote: »
    Any chance or likelihood of a big 2 day fair in Belfast? Vital who run the fairs in the North held the last one 5 years ago before Maysfield Leisure Centre closed for good and there has been nothing since. There are definitely any number of potential venues.
    I was at a fair in the Maysfield centre a few years ago.
    Would be nice if there were fairs like that every now and again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jonnyone

http://www.musicstack.com/

I find this top class..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

im looking to buy some records (my first in fact) but i dont know what are good places to go to in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Hey record fairs, do you charge people an entrance fee to your fairs? I noticed this a few years back at a fair in Dun Laoghaire and more recently in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    im looking to buy some records (my first in fact) but i dont know what are good places to go to in dublin?

Spindizzy in the georges st arcade are great and freebird in temple bar and wicklow st,just off grafton st. Also Tower on wicklow st are pretty good record wise,they also have a mailing list so you are kept up to date with new release they have.

Hope that is some help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It all depends on what you're looking for, I suppose, but the last record fair in Filmbase, the weekend of the U2 gigs, was probably the worst one I've ever been at. They charged €3 in, even though there were less than half the stalls there compared to previous occasions (for the same entry fee). Okay, they're probably covering the rental of the space, but it didn't seem right to have to pay for access to such a paltry collection of poorly-stocked stalls.
    One bloke was selling LPs for €2 each, doubles for €3, which was about right for the type of stuff he had (i.e. predominantly dodgy 70s and 80s stuff, but you could unearth a few gems if you took the time to go through them), and there was another guy (from the North, possibly) selling only new vinyl, so his stuff was fairly priced, and obviously unplayed as most of them were still sealed.
    However, the majority of the other stalls were ridiculous: £8 sterling for albums by Phil Collins and Abba that aren't worth a curse. Kate Bush LPs that are readily available for fair prices on e-Bay but were being stickered as "hard to find": it's not like they were first pressings. That's just taking the p**s. Have some dignity.
    A lot of these guys have the same old s***e that they keep bringing back time after time, and they're never reducing their prices. If nobody bought them the last time for the amount you're looking for, you're unlikely to sell them now.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

the guy from the north didnt seem very willing to give any drop in price for afew items bought. I bought 2 12" albums,a 7" and afew other bits and pieces. Came to about 58 quid or so and he wouldnt even do it for 55. Bugger :rolleyes:

If someone's not going to give you 3quid off then I'd tell him to stuff it. Recession etc. etc. buyer's market

road records off georges street too

... for all the secondhand Alison Moyet you can shake a stick at!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

the guy from the north didnt seem very willing to give any drop in price for afew items bought. I bought 2 12" albums,a 7" and afew other bits and pieces. Came to about 58 quid or so and he wouldnt even do it for 55. Bugger :rolleyes:

Yeah. I didn't even ask for a discount, I just paid what he wanted for them. I thought the prices for the items I bought were were about the same (or better) as you'd pay online (certainly cheaper than someone like eil) with the added incentive of not having to worry about them getting seam splits in the post.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement