Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a permanent visa when in Australia

Options
  • 09-02-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Just got word back on the visa process and I'm gutted to hear that it could take 15 months for it to be fully completed. There's a pretty good chance that my gf will be accepted as she has 130 points (assuming all goes well with the Skills assessment) but I can't wait 15 months before going.

So I wanted to know, if we went across on working holiday visas, could we then apply for permanent visas? And if we have to be offshore when receiving the visa, could we get round this by launching the application before we fly to Australia?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Just got word back on the visa process and I'm gutted to hear that it could take 15 months for it to be fully completed. There's a pretty good chance that my gf will be accepted as she has 130 points (assuming all goes well with the Skills assessment) but I can't wait 15 months before going.

So I wanted to know, if we went across on working holiday visas, could we then apply for permanent visas? And if we have to be offshore when receiving the visa, could we get round this by launching the application before we fly to Australia?

I would ask and agent that question, plus when the WHV expires you would have to fly back to ...Holland? .... and set yourself back up for a few months then fly back the visa process is pricey enough.

But you know your circumstances and it really is best you talk to an MARA agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I would ask and agent that question, plus when the WHV expires you would have to fly back to ...Holland? .... and set yourself back up for a few months then fly back the visa process is pricey enough.

But you know your circumstances and it really is best you talk to an MARA agent.

Well it's the terminology that's used. Do they mean you have to be based offshore to recieve it? I would probably intend to go back to Ireland for a few weeks in 12 months time anyway. We're signed up to 'Live in Australia' but a lot of their answers seem to be automated and not really getting to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Well it's the terminology that's used. Do they mean you have to be based offshore to recieve it? I would probably intend to go back to Ireland for a few weeks in 12 months time anyway. We're signed up to 'Live in Australia' but a lot of their answers seem to be automated and not really getting to the point.

Yes well you are right to receive your visa you do have to be off shore , even if its for a week in NZ , get visa, come back.

Dont accept automated responses , there are plenty of agents who will talk to you. Look for some on the Britshexpats site its great for this stuff

Advertisement