Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscaping (hideous piece of work) on the Outer Ring Road

• 09-02-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Ok, wtf is that hideous looking landscape on the roundabout at the Airport Road link? I can only say that it looks like a car a child would make on a beach...only done with grass! Could they not have done something floral and colourful? Something made from grass is just gonna look dull.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

maybe when the weather gets a bit better flowers will bloom, birds will whistle in the trees and squirrels and bunny rabbits will play tennis. all will be right with the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly. Its in place for spring, whenever that might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

I agree, I think it's a work in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

i think thats a bit harsh im sure it wasnt easy to make it and fair play to the people that are makin it at least its something different:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

gscully wrote: »
    Ok, wtf is that hideous looking landscape on the roundabout at the Airport Road link? I can only say that it looks like a car a child would make on a beach...only done with grass! Could they not have done something floral and colourful? Something made from grass is just gonna look dull.

On a serious note.
    Its a serious traffic hazzard as it blocks your view through the roundabout and you cant see traffic on the roundabout until your on it.

I'll be givin the city council a phone call about it monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

On a serious note.
    Its a serious traffic hazzard as it blocks your view through the roundabout and you cant see traffic on the roundabout until your on it.

The Williamstown roundabout is more dangerous than this one especially coming from the Tesco direction and heading towards John's Hill

Farran park Roundabout is too small and the visability is terrible here.

Let's start with these before complaing about the Airport Roundaboit, which in my humble opinion is fine

On a serious note.

how about slowing down when you get to the roundabout, having a look around, then moseying on through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

yea i dont think its finished, they've been working on that every now and again.its taking a while but im intrigued by it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

longshanks wrote: »
    how about slowing down when you get to the roundabout, having a look around, then moseying on through it

yeah i agree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

On a serious note.

I can't see what advantage you'd have from seeing the opposite side unless you have an Imperial Star Destroyer about to make an emergency landing on the other end. All you need to see is on your right. Where I'm from they even have buildings in the middle of roundabouts like biggish statues, doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

realcam wrote: »
    I can't see what advantage you'd have from seeing the opposite side unless you have an Imperial Star Destroyer about to make an emergency landing on the other end. All you need to see is on your right. Where I'm from they even have buildings in the middle of roundabouts like biggish statues, doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

How many times have I entered a roundabout, coast clear from my right, when a car already on roundabout (you can't see them until they are past the 90 degree mark) and is literaly flying it and is on top of you before you can say boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Bards wrote: »
    How many times have I entered a roundabout, coast clear from my right, when a car already on roundabout (you can't see them until they are past the 90 degree mark) and is literaly flying it and is on top of you before you can say boo

Funny that never happened to me before ever. And to be honest if they're THAT fast I consider it to be their problem not mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

I like it, it's funny.

How about a competition to name it? best name gets to drive it away.

I'll start -

the wheels in the field

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont like the way local authorities curtail clear viewes across the roundabout either (you can't have too much visibilty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

talking about a waste of money ...... is it a car is it a plane what the hell is it !!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

hellfireie wrote: »
    talking about a waste of money ...... is it a car is it a plane what the hell is it !!! :eek:

It's a car. It's sponsored by Gerry Kennedy Crash Repairs. Maybe he's banking on the lack of visibilty as a way to drum up new business :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

i seen someone had taken out the steel fence out ( crashed into it) there about two weeks ago , well if isnt the taxpayer coughing up for designer rounda bouts leave them at, but its def making it harder to see around the bloodly thing !!

anyone know the make of car its modeled on ? haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smiley_colly

i think its strange to have a car on the airport roundabout ...
    could they not do someething with old parts 4rm planes in the airport or even flower design :(

its well ugly...at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

yeah i think a car out on the motor mile{cork road} roundabout would of been more appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

saw this yesterday for the first time. oh dear, another opportunity for our local planners to tell visitors that we are truly crass and tasteless 'round these parts. at least of the car were concrete and grey it would blend in with the rest of the city theme

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    saw this yesterday for the first time. oh dear, another opportunity for our local planners to tell visitors that we are truly crass and tasteless 'round these parts. at least of the car were concrete and grey it would blend in with the rest of the city theme

I suppose it does blend in with the area... Sure, just half a mile up the road on the old De La Salle pitch, there are three burned out wrecks to be seen by any passer-by. Great advert for the city!

ah for **** sake, does everyone have to moan about everything all the time? if they left the roundabouts empty someone would complain that they (the council) aren't doing enough for the city, and everyone would jump on that bandwagon. they make an effort, (not a great one, but still..) and everyone complains anyway. its a lose lose situation. have a coke and a smile and lighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

OP I agree it does look hideous. It reminds me of a cake when you were small that your mum or a friends mum would make for a birthday. :D

I've nicknamed it the "teletubbies car" roundabout.

Seriously though I would be ashamed to put my company name to it. Would you seriously hire the landscaper who did it unless of course you needed to build a Lord of the Rings hobbitan village or recreate a teletubby play area for kids.

And longshanks what you call moaning is what I call feedback. Feedback is how you make things better. I dont think it is good PR for the landscaper, entertaining yes cause people are talking about it BUT bringing the wrong attention to the company.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To be fair to longshanks - he makes a good point.

It might look hideous now but its not supposed to look great atm. We assume/hope it will look a lot better in a few months.

Sully wrote: »

It might look hideous now but its not supposed to look great atm. We assume/hope it will look a lot better in a few months.

i love you sully, wanna catch a movie?

Sully wrote: »

I don't see how it will look any better in the summer. It's grass!! When they cut it, it will look strawy or burnt (careless assumption of sunlight there). If they don't cut it regularly, it will look like it is now - hideous!

gscully wrote: »
    I don't see how it will look any better in the summer. It's grass!! When they cut it, it will look strawy or burnt (careless assumption of sunlight there). If they don't cut it regularly, it will look like it is now - hideous!

flowers child, flowers will bloom or sprout or hatch or whatever it is they do. it'll be an oasis of colour and lovelyness, an island of botanic beauty to please the eyes and soothe the soul. people will flock from miles around to ooh and aah at the splendour

longshanks wrote: »
    flowers child, flowers will bloom or sprout or hatch or whatever it is they do. it'll be an oasis of colour and lovelyness, an island of botanic beauty to please the eyes and soothe the soul. people will flock from miles around to ooh and aah at the splendour

You're very protective of it. I bet there's a sunroof on the top and it leads down into your petrol-bomb factory :)

Advertisement