Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you listen to cheerful or depressing music when you're in a bad mood

Options
  • 09-02-2009 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I was in foul humour this morning. Tried various musical therapies.

- Self loathing: early Radiohead and Weezer.
    - Abrasive: Jay-Z, Interpol
    - Heartbreak: Otis Redding

I've just listened to some happy music (Van Morrison and Bill Withers) and now I'm in great form again.

So do you listen to happy music to bring yourself out of the bad mood or sad music to wallow in it?

What music to listen to when you're down? 21 votes

Happy, cheerful music to bring yourself out of it
    0% 0 votes
    Angry or depressing music to wallow in it
    19% 4 votes
    Other (please specify)
    80% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I listen to angry music and masturbate furiously

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved.
    To the...
    music forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i can only listen to pinkerton by weezer when i'm in a extremely happy mood.

it depresses the ****e out of me how that album could have been written by myself if i knew how to properly write a classic album.

when i'm a bad mood i'll listen to either math rock kind of music like don cab, shellac, oceansize. and reuben, the first three albums by biffy clyro.

when i'm in a good mood i stick on the blue album by weezer or clarity by jimmy eat world type of music, now i know the blue album ain't exactly an album filled with happy lyrical songs but it's real happy musical wise :)

i'm listening to don cab atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

I listen to angry music and masturbate furiously

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best post ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Bad mood = Angry/Sad music

Good mood = Happy music

Indifferent mood = Whatever's on the radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Always depressing/sad music. it's great to know somebody has it worse than you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

When im depressed i like to wallow to The Cure, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead or Joy Division. I usually feel a bit better afterwards :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Speed metal.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Good Mood: Thrash Metal, Plain Old Metal, Hair/Glam Metal, Stoner, Hard Rock (AC/DC, Ted Nugent etc.), Rock (Foo Fighters, EODM, Weezer), Funk, also some House, Madchester, 80's Soft Rock/Pop, Latin, and stuff like Frank Zappa, Steve Vai & Weird Al.

Bad Mood (rarely :)): (Melodic) Death Metal, Typo-Negative, The Smiths, Joy Division (wait, no... That makes it worse), and stuff like Tool & A Perfect Circle.

Indifferent: Oddly enough... Philip Glass, David Axelrod, Alternative (not what they consider alternative nowadays), Grunge, Ambient, Jazz, Blues, Metalcore, Nu Metal (limited), New Wave (80's).

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

no matter what mood im in a spliff and some kyuss always does the job,smashing pumpkins aswell would be something id put on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Some NIN and Tool will do the job for those bad days...

Though to note never dare listening to NIN's The Downward Spiral album when in a depressed mood. That album can make you destroy you!!

For good mood, there's The Ventures!
    And other surf and folk bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sad, to begin with, then angry , then once I'm past the feeling sorry for myself stage, happy, to bring me up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

really upbeat, rock music. or bass dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

:pac: Opeth, NIN, Radiohead, Joy Division, Charlotte Hatherley, Graham Coxon, Queen, The Darkness, Marilyn Manson, Dragonforce, Metallica, Pink Floyd

:( Opeth, anything by NIN, Radiohead, Joy Division, Pink Floyd, Metallica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 TheKid1987

i listen to anything at anytime, im zoned out to listen that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

It depends really. I’m never bursting with the joys of life (I’m working on changing that… cos I used to be a very cheerful person. The changing of that did coincide with my discovering Mozza ;)). I find day to day life becomes easier though when some album or song clicks with me and I become fixated with it for a long period (and of course it can be stuff I already have in my collection that I just haven’t listened to for a long time) Here’s an example: I had a brief flirtation with the Velvet Underground and also Lou Reed’s solo stuff at the end of January at a difficult time and they did help and then I moved on when the problem was resolved but just today I’m really getting back into both and already I’m feeling slightly more calm. It never eliminates but can just dull a bit the emotion or of course aggravate it. Oh here I’m off on a tangent… never mind!

Short answer – At this current point in time if I feel upset or similar emotion I’ll reach for VU and Lou. To me they are cheerful. I always think they’re both like a sunny summer day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

i can only listen to pinkerton by weezer when i'm in a extremely happy mood.

it depresses the ****e out of me how that album could have been written by myself if i knew how to properly write a classic album.

when i'm a bad mood i'll listen to either math rock kind of music like don cab, shellac, oceansize. and reuben, the first three albums by biffy clyro.

when i'm in a good mood i stick on the blue album by weezer or clarity by jimmy eat world type of music, now i know the blue album ain't exactly an album filled with happy lyrical songs but it's real happy musical wise :)

i'm listening to don cab atm.

It's funny, I listen to Clarity when I feel like a good wallow. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

When I'm in a bad mood i usually throw on Colourblind by Counting Crows.
    So, depressing music it is for me...

Advertisement