Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Focus On.

• 09-02-2009 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Just a little idea that i had ( and have lifted from the Fitness Forum if you will pardon the pun ). I think a lot of us are curious about our fellow posters and would like to know more about them.

Once a month, i would like to do a "Focus on....." thread, where i will pick a different boardsie and post a list of questions that I would like to ask them. The person then comes along, answers the questions and we run with more questions from there.

If you have no problem in possibly being the focus of attention for a day or two then just hit yes to the poll. If you are the shy retiring type who much prefers life behind the lens, just hit no and i definitely won't target you.

Edit : Please note that poll results are PUBLIC, as it's the only way i can see who would be interested and who wouldn't be.

Would you like to be the subject of a "Focus on...." thread? 43 votes

Sure, why not.
    0%
    No thanks, not my cup of tea.
    90%
    nilhgrymusBorderfoxPaulwPlaceboGristlyEndValentiaHugh_CkensutzCalina[Deleted User]Ballymantrishw78easDraganFajitas!Dodgykeeperelvenchallengemasterlatchiko 39 votes
    T'is a silly idea to be honest.
    9%
    akeaveneyDadesduffaramagary82 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thought it wierd at first, but actually that sounds quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Go for it.

I've been doing monthly/weekly showings since 2nd year in college, though not so much recently. It's fantastic practice, it gets you thinking about you, and how you feel you're working and progressing, aswell as getting used to talking yourself in a positive light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah fire away.. any excuse for a big mad argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds very interesting. Why not?? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Sounds like an interesting idea to me.

Well stolen borrowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Excellent! Some good interest in it so thanks for that! The easiest way to pick a victim will simply be a "names in a hat" set up, so i'll give it till the end of the day for people to register their interest, then choose the first person and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

What sort of questions you thinking? Credit card number and mother's maiden name??:D

Can I assume it would be "What got you into photography?" etc?

Sounds good

noblestee wrote: »
    What sort of questions you thinking? Credit card number and mother's maiden name??:D

Can I assume it would be "What got you into photography?" etc?

Sounds good

Well i guess the most basic question will be "What got you into photography" but i hope to travel a little deeper than that. I'll pick the name, then spend a day or two checking boards posts and Flickr, Pixie accounts etc to examine the persons work and also ask them questions about that. Themes, common subjects within their work. I might even focus on one particular image or set that really gets my interest and ask them specifically about how they took it, why they took it. Hopes and dreams, current projects, who impresses and inspires them, inspiration sources outside of photography and any interesting stories they may have gathered or sacrifices they have made.

Probably venture into themes around morals, ethics etc as well.

Basically, where ever the flow takes us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

hah, you beat me to it... i just did a sort of interview of a friend to help them write an essay about their photography and thought itd be a cool thing to do on here too. Well posted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

sounds like a great idea...
    so basically you're gonna be the noel edmonds of are you smarter than a 10 year old... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

kateos2 wrote: »
    are you smarter than a 10 year old... :D

We're all screwed then.

kateos2 wrote: »
    sounds like a great idea...
    so basically you're gonna be the noel edmonds of are you smarter than a 10 year old... :D

Dragan and Noel Edmunds.. emm... can see where you're coming from there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would be for that only if you could insure that the person questioned won't be me. And personally I prefer discussing such personal issues face to face when I meet the people. Well, Ruu would be exception.

ThOnda wrote: »
    I would be for that only if you could insure that the person questioned won't be me. And personally I prefer discussing such personal issues face to face when I meet the people. Well, Ruu would be exception.

Thats fine, anyone not up for answering questions will not be asked any but it should be noted you can still read the threads and pose any questions of your own to the monthly subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sounds good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Note that the shy people of the community couldn't even unshy themselves and vote no! :D

Wait until someone is chosen and then shy will kick in :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Covey wrote: »
    Wait until someone is chosen and then shy will kick in :D:D

So does that mean that your willing to be the first guinea pig then ..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

elven wrote: »
    hah, you beat me to it... i just did a sort of interview of a friend to help them write an essay about their photography and thought itd be a cool thing to do on here too. Well posted :)

Funny you should mention you just did an interview, I was looking through a photomagazine from 2007 the other day and I noticed this article with you (together with obligatory mugshot) where you were singing the virtues of Flickr !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

ohhhh did you have to bring that up? :/

I actually meant from being the intervieweR perspective - it's much more fun asking the questions!

I think it's important that when someone is chosen, the interviewer does spend some time looking at their stuff and thinking of relevant, interesting questions rather than just the standard 'how did you get into photography' or 'what camera do you use'...

• Advertisement

elven wrote: »
    ohhhh did you have to bring that up? :/

I actually meant from being the intervieweR perspective - it's much more fun asking the questions!

I think it's important that when someone is chosen, the interviewer does spend some time looking at their stuff and thinking of relevant, interesting questions rather than just the standard 'how did you get into photography' or 'what camera do you use'...

Yeah, that is the plan. To be honest, a large part of my wanting to do this is for very selfish ends. I really need to get good at composing interesting interviews for people...so i might as well start where i am comfortable!

Also, we have our first victim! Expect the first "Focus On...." thread tomorrow! (providing i get through their online photos, websites, boards posts etc! ).

Advertisement