Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehumidifiers-worth a shot?

Options
  • 09-02-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been noticing a lot of mildew in our en suite bathroom and main bedroom. It seems to be mainly forming on the ceiling near the perimiter wall, particularly the corners. The house is block built, 3 years old. There is a vent on the bedroom which I keep open but none in the bathroom. We open the bathroom and bedroom windows regularly and don't dry clothes on the radiators.
    I had noticed the room seemed colder than the other rooms since we moved in and recently added an extra layer of insulation in the attic in the area directly above that bedroom. At the time I noticed the existing insulation around the area above the bathroom was very damp so I removed and replaced it.
    I think the extra insulation solved the temperature problem but the mildew growth seems to have accelerated.
    At this stage the only thing I can think of is to try a dehumidifier, I checked ebay and they range from 500ml per to day to 60L per day, what sized one would be sufficient for a slightly larger than normal double room?
    Would also welcome any other suggestions on what I could do.
    Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Yes it's definately worth a try, we had the same problem with water around the windows and mould forming on blinds etc but since we start dehumidifing the rooms there's no water on the windows and the air is nicer.

This is the one i use and it's more than adequate for the job

http://www.dehumidifierreviews.co.uk/delonghi/delonghi-dnc65-slimline-dehumidifier/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I bought one in Argos on Saturday in the IIlac Centre for 114,49

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

Thanks for that lads.
    Any idea what size dehumidifier I would require though? Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

why dont you hire one for a weekend. all local tool hire places will do one.
    i'd say maybe 40-50 notes for a weekend and it would be a proper big industrial one.

the extract in your bathroom should be timed to activate when light is switched ( though last few years sparkies have had them on a separate switch beside light )and over run light by a few minutes. regardless the quality of these extracts are very poor and i'd suggest if dehumid doesn't work you should swap out the spec extractor for a decent vent axia or expelair. theres an electrical wholesalers on dock rd. hat will sell them. go for a centrigufal surface mounted timed extract. it can prob fix into existing hole in wall or duct in roof.

check rad in the bathroom. make sure the room is heated 30mins before showers in morning etc. as less condensation will form on surfaces if it is heated.

air circulationg is good for prevention of mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

actually if your insulation was damp when replacing check that the extract hose from bathroom is not terminated in the attic space. if it was it would spew out hot air from bathroom which would condense on the roofing felt and drip down onto your insulation. this hose in attic is very common and i have seen it too many times. if its a wall mounted extract then your're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Chauncey_freak

They are actually pretty good - regretted buying mine soon after but then saw the good job it did.

We use it when our car gets very steamed up (it's only a small car).

Just make sure it's not a leaky pipe :P

Advertisement