Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NETWORKING PC AND XBOX

• 09-02-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

Can someone point me in the direction of a basic guide to networking, i have a desktop with adsl wifi modem/router and my xbox with an Aeropad mini powered by a usb controller cable, pc is configured for internet access but cant get my head around the settings needed for each piece of hardware to communicate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

firstly...can you access XBL currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

use tversity if u wanna stream movies to your xbox from your pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

Yeah, once you get onto xbox live, its straight forward enough from there.

Let Media Player browse all the folders you want to stream via the xbox.

I have a 1TB drive in the desktop upstairs with all Music . tv shows. movies ..Pics.. Runs like a dream..... Have it hard wired though.. way faster imo...

Also.. What operating system are you using....???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

PC is XP pro , havent tried xbox live as i though it was just for online gaming which doesnt interest me at all. Downloading tversity now and will report back once i work out how to use it.

Ok, i installed tversity and i found an excellent guide at afterdawn on how to set up an xbox 360 for use with tversity but how do i setup my xbox and wifi adapter i have ? Do i change the settingsin the MS dashboard, unleashx or XBMC or all 3 ? I will give XBL a go and see if i can at least get connected.

• Advertisement

I re-configured the aeropad on my laptop and now i have tversity as a network place on my laptop so at least i know thats working, still cant get the xbox to connect though ?

I'm not 100% sure on this but does the 360 only work with the official MS wifi adapter?

OP, can you run cat5 cable from the router to the 360 instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

kaimera wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure on this but does the 360 only work with the official MS wifi adapter?

can you run cat5 cable from the router to the 360?

It works with either official wifi adapter or cat5 cable. why do you think there is RJ45 socket :P?

docentore wrote: »
    It works with either official wifi adapter or cat5 cable. why do you think there is RJ45 socket :P?
    ah silly me, the second part was a question to the OP as in instead of wifi can he run cat5 instead? :P

Not a 360, an original xbox, wifi adapter works when i plug in into my laptop so its just the settings from the xbox to adapter that i need to sort i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

You can't stream to a unmodded original Xbox afaik. Only the 360 came with that functionality.

You can't stream to a unmodded original Xbox afaik. Only the 360 came with that functionality.

I should be able to browse files via the network using XBMC but currently its not even detecting a network connection.

Let me get this straight.

You have a wireless router and your xbox has a wireless adapter on it yes?

What interface do you use for the wifi adapter on the xbox - is it through the xbox itself or do you have to set up the adapter on a PC before you connect it to the xbox?

Let me get this straight.

You have a wireless router and your xbox has a wireless adapter on it yes?

What interface do you use for the wifi adapter on the xbox - is it through the xbox itself or do you have to set up the adapter on a PC before you connect it to the xbox?

This is what i bought to use with the xbox- http://www.macsense.com/product/networking/wua800-1.html to network with my netgear wifi router/modem and pc, it works fine when i plug it into my laptop i just get no link when on the xbox. In unleashx the IP address is 192.168.1.2 which is different to what it was when i first installed XBMC.

Does the AeroPad work off USB? I have to admit my memory is fading in regards to the original xbox but I didn't think it had USB ports. How are you powering it?

Also, do you have to configure it via the Xbox or can you configure the AeroPad on PC and then plug and play it on the Xbox?

USB is only for power, i cut down a non working controller and fitted a usb socket to it. I configure the aeropad via web browser on my pc then plug it into the xbox NIC.

So you have theAeroPad powered off the xbox and the ethernet connected to your laptop and you've configured the AeroPad and it works fine through the laptop?

Is it possible your Netgear router has logged the MAC of your laptop against the IP issued to your laptop and so when it's transferred over it doesn't renew the lease upon connecting the Ethernet port?

Sorry to ask - after configuring and testing on the laptop have you tried switching the router, aeropad and xbox off and then restarting in that order to force the DHCP leasing to run again and issue an IP to the xbox?

I'm not really familiar with the Aeropads so prob not the best person to be giving advise but I'm just wondering should everything be restarted after you change the aeropad from one device to another.

I'm willing to try anything to get it working, the laptop isnt used that much but the router is on 24/7 so you may have something there- i'll give it a shot and see what happens, thanks for the help.

Well that didnt work, i have configured the AP with the same SSID and wep key as my router and laptop, xbox 's ip is 192.168.1.2 and is set to auto DHCP same as AP and workgroup is mshome - i'm at a loss what to try next. I should also add i tried to set it up using the MS dash and also tried a non modded xbox just to see what happened.

What IP do you get on the laptop when you are connected via the AeroPad?

• Advertisement

What IP do you get on the laptop when you are connected via the AeroPad?

Where will i find the IP details ?

Click Start
    Select Run
    Type 'cmd'

When the window opens type ipconfig and press enter.

Displays the IP lease there.

Click Start
    Select Run
    Type 'cmd'

When the window opens type ipconfig and press enter.

Displays the IP lease there.

Ok, i get 192.168.0.3 .

That means the Xbox should be getting 192.168.0.x too.

One point of note - since you're connecting the AeroPad to the xbox I remember to do a direct connection with another xbox you had to use a crossover cable because the xbox's network card couldn't (EDIT) perform the crossover automatically like most laptops can.

Is it possible you need to use a crossover when connecting the AeroPad to the xbox?

I have tried a crossover before and just tried again using static ip in XBMC but still no connection. This is really frustrating as i know the xbox nic is working as i can ftp using a cable and the AP works ?

Seems to be the communication between the xbox and the AeroPad. I've no idea man. Sorry - not much help.

Does the AeroPad site have any forums?

Only the usual FAQ section which has nothing useful, thanks for your help anyway.

regards,
    Nick.

Try the nets and comms forum - much more qualified personell I imagine.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Advertisement