Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband in Moycullen

Options
  • 09-02-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to compare broadband options in Moycullen and thinking of getting mobile broadband.
    Does anyone have experience of mobile broadband in this area, and any recommendations? At the moment I'm leaning towards 02 because their coverage looks like the best available from the information on the website.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

I have wireless broadband from these guys http://www.cellcom.ie/
    They basically buy broadband off Irish broadband which have the tonabrucky mast, then they setup their own mast ontop of the forge so moycullen can get it. I have it like 3 years now i think. Since then I think I can get eircom wired but havent bothered. I think it is €40 a month which is expensive.

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Here I have all green. 2.33 download 3.50 upload 96% Qos 1.5ms Jitter 0.0% packet loss. Having such fast upload is rare, and i think usually expensive. I have absolutely no use for it, and would rather have more download. Also, the connection does go down from time to time. having 2 months uninterrupted would be a miracle. Every storm with high wind we have knocks it out, but it is back at like 9:30am the next working day, seems all they have to do is press reset! My brother is a big gamer, and I play a bit too, the connection is very stable for this and therefore voip too, however english pings will not be under 70 in games like cs, cod4, tf2.

No idea what mobile broadband is like.. although i have read it is often very unreliable, so it would struggle badly with games and voip. You would get a better response in tech>net and comms>broadband. that is where is found out about moycullens attempt to get broadband 3 years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Thanks, hadn't heard of them before. Had a look at the website, but doesn't seem to be any information about costs or how to get connected - is it just a matter of phoning them?
    Thanks for the info :)

you are not going to believe this. I am just after receiving a letter; "due to economic downturn cellcom ireland ltd is to cease trading" broaband to end march 31st march. This recession is for real! Fecked now. Eircom have me right where they want me :(

Odd, I phoned them earlier in the week and they seemed happy enough to connect me for 250 euro (no thanks!). They mustn't have seen that one coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tom McHugh

Any further update? I have Cellcomm too. Are IBB going to take up the customer base.

• Advertisement

Last I heard, IBB weren't taking any new customers for the wireless broadband, but we ended up getting DSL anyway because the house is out of line of sight. Would be worth checking though, as IBB is now called Imagine so they may have changed what's available.

Sorry, forgot about the thread.
    Update is; cellcom cancelled the bandwidth with ibb at the end of last month. Ibb only cut it off last weekend.
    I rang ibb and the response was "oh ya we are getting a lot of interest from that area. We have no service
    there atm, but will have one up in the coming weeks (wouldn't be more specific)."
    About the service, the ibb guy said it would only be one option 4meg wireless 55E a month, now that is complete arse,
    I'm sure they will give other options. I was talking to ruari in cellcom and he said that is terrible and he would talk to them.
    This was 10 days ago I was talking to ruari, I'll ring this week, just haven't had a chance.

Its really annoying, I haven't checked for a few days, but I was still pinging the gateway, just a matter of ibb flicking a switch
    and I would happily continue to pay them what I was paying cellcom, 40 a month wasn't it. Its pretty extorsionate but better
    than 55 for double the bandwidth I don't even want.
    Also for anyone that has cellcom, you now own the radio receiver. I told ibb sure I have the equipment pinging your gateway,
    and they said "under no circumstances can anyone use third party equipment." Our receiver is mitsubishi isn't it? Prob
    better than the ibb cheap ass equipment too.

So, I rang around to check my options. I should mention my dad has vodaphone mobile broadband on his lappy. It is rediculously poor,
    slower than dial-up. So I'm not even considering the mobile broadband options.
    As far as I can see eircom and ibb are my only options.
    Eircom has upgraded the exchange in the village area so dsl is available, unfortunately I live a mile from the village and my line fails,
    and they have no intention of upgrading the lines in my area.
    They told me I may be able to get a wimax connection from them. But its only 256k, as in a quarter of a 1meg connection. So it would be
    massively slow, and I don't know enough about wimax to know the quality of service. Pings and packet loss, like would it be suitable for voip
    and games, I dunno.

The other option is wait and see what ibb come out with, which is what I think I'll have to do.
    If anyone has any other information I'm all ears, I'll update when I know anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jfinlan

I've had O2 mobile broadband for over a year and it works pretty good. I recently switched to the Sierra Wireless Compass modem and got an antenna for it from the following website:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110370571253

I can get average 3Mb download and anywhere between .5 Mb and 1Mb upload using the combination of this modem and the aerial. Unfortunately, sometimes it switches from the Tonabrocky mast to the Claregalway mast (I think the lake carries the signal) and this is not good. But there's going to be a G3 in Moycullen soon which will be great.

I also use the modem with a Dovado router (www.dovado.ie) and I plug an RTX Dualphone 3088 into the router which allows me make skype calls on a cordless phone, even if my computer is off.

I pay 20 euros a month for broadband and something like EUR 4.50 a month for an 091 number from skype including voicemail and unlimited calls within Ireland. So, for around 25 euros, I get what most people pay at least 50 euros for! The RTX Dualphone is available from skype.com or ebay and the Dovado router from www.commsoft.ie and the aerial from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110370571253

The outlay for all this equipment is somewhere in the region of EUR 200-250 but you'll make that back in a year with the savings you'll make. My advice is sign up with O2, just get the Sierra Wireless modem first and test it out. You have 7 days to try it out. If you like it, buy the router, skypephone and antenna and you should have good setup - especially when the Moycullen mast comes online - I hear it should be soon. Apparently the mast is on top of the new shopping mall (the one with SuperValu in it).

Hope this is of use to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't drag up old threads, especially with unrelated information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement