Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2006 Politics & Society In Northern Ireland Question - Apprentice Boys

Options
  • 09-02-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

anyone know where I can find links for this essay done out or any sites that might have guidelines on it .?

State Examinations Commision site marking scheme has NOTHING on how one would answer it !

Or if you know any reasons why the Apprentice Boys Of Derry contributed to religious and cultural identity then i'm open to suggestions. . . . the book will only scrape me two pages for the essay and I need to aim for four!!!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Intro - Strong tradition of marching (parades) among Unionists in N.Ireland by the Loyal orders (Orange Order, Apprentice Boys etc.). These parades were usually held to commerorate Protestant (war) victories over Catholics.

The Apprentice Boys of Derry - Commemorate the Siege of Derry 1688-89 - Apprentice Boys resisted attack of King James (Shouted 'No Surrender') and traitor was 'Lundy'.
    OP: Give an account of the Siege, how Protestants resisted the Catholics and how the word 'Lundy' is still used today and how Protestants had a siege mentality. They were a minority being attacked by the majority (Catholics).

Celebrating the Siege - All in your book.

Apprentice Boys and the Orange Order - Orange Order more political, Apprentice Boys more religious. Faulkner, O'Neill, Paisley, Brookebrough all members of the Apprentice Boys. The presence of such popular and well known members only served to contribute to the Apprentice Boys effect on N.Ireland religious and cultural identity.

Symbolic Importance of the Siege - Write about what I already mentioned. Partition strengthened this belief. They were still a minority but like the walls of Derry protected them in 1688/89 the union with Britain protected them now.

Conclusion - last page.

Advertisement