Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Soccer in Cork

Options
  • 09-02-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I couldn't find this in the soccer forum , apologies if wrong forum to post this, but..

are there any five a side indoor soccer or astroturf soccer leagues in Cork?

I'm a student in UCC and a few of us would like to get a weekly soccer/futsal thing going.
    Even if too late for this year , any info would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

There is one in the sports village in bishopstown.

Next to McCarthys Bar and The Loft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

footy.ie

thats a 7 a side astro league. should be a new league starting around april i think...

also astro.ie

they play in cit but beware of all the soccer tournaments ive played in, their refs are by far the worst.

Always looking for an argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cullig_jp

Would you have any idea how much it would cost to enter the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Thanks for those links,

the cost is €658 for astro.ie playing in CIT,

and over €1000 for the 7 a side on footy.ie page,

I guess if I rounded up seven people for the CIT astro.ie league it would be just under 100euro each for a league that would last a couple of months .. :confused:

i think that's just out of my price range though! (hate to sound like a cheapskate!)

edit:

'There is one in the sports village in bishopstown.

Next to McCarthys Bar and The Loft. '

Corkhero, is there any more info on that short of me going up there?

• Advertisement

http://www.sportsvillagecork.com/index.htm

here is there website.

give them a buzz and see what they say.

im not sure the details with the league.

also for the soccer in cit. try get a local bar to sponsor ye €200 or something if ye go back after games.

you will need subs for games. mayb 1 or two as they are quite physical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

corkhero wrote: »
    also astro.ie

they play in cit but beware of all the soccer tournaments ive played in, their refs are by far the worst.

Always looking for an argument

i'd agree with that. played in the CIT league in the two leagues last year, the refs are appalling bad. one guy sent me off for "slide tackling" when i slipped and fell (it had been raining) nowhere near the ball.

the best ref out there by several miles was the elderly guy on pitch four, he used to referee at schoolboys level, and he was head and shoulders above the rest of them, very nice guy and always had a quiet word with you when you did something he didnt like, instead of shouting and roaring and arguing with you like the rest of them..

Roar wrote: »
    i'd agree with that. played in the CIT league in the two leagues last year, the refs are appalling bad. one guy sent me off for "slide tackling" when i slipped and fell (it had been raining) nowhere near the ball.

the best ref out there by several miles was the elderly guy on pitch four, he used to referee at schoolboys level, and he was head and shoulders above the rest of them, very nice guy and always had a quiet word with you when you did something he didnt like, instead of shouting and roaring and arguing with you like the rest of them..

Thats Richard Bond afaik.

I didnt like him at school boys as i got a second yellow in a mctch for swearing when i hit the ball of the post.

But yeah, he was definitely the best there.

cheers for all the info, I'll try and get something started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oisin66

cullig_jp wrote: »
    Would you have any idea how much it would cost to enter the league?

Footy.ie 7 A-Side: Total cost is 850 euro per league(14 games).
    Astro.ie 6 A-Side: Total cost is 818 euro per league(14 games).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eliteleague7s

Listen sorry to be a pain and advertise for ourselves, but we are corks newest league offering four divisions starting 21st September 2009. 2 outdoor 7 a side leagues, 1 indoor 5 a side league, and one ladies outdoor 5 a side league.

Price for the 3 outdoor leagues are €750 per season (720 if you avail of our introductory offer and pay online) and the indoor league is €800 per season (770 if you pay online). We've also got fairly decent prizes and facilities. Have a look at www.eliteleague7s.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Listen sorry to be a pain and advertise for ourselves, but we are corks newest league offering four divisions starting 21st September 2009. 2 outdoor 7 a side leagues, 1 indoor 5 a side league, and one ladies outdoor 5 a side league.

Price for the 3 outdoor leagues are €750 per season (720 if you avail of our introductory offer and pay online) and the indoor league is €800 per season (770 if you pay online). We've also got fairly decent prizes and facilities. Have a look at www.eliteleague7s.com.
    Your prizes are fairly sh1t in fairness boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

There's an indoor one in Whitechurch. 10-15 minutes drive from city centre out past Blackpool. I know it's cheap too, always lads coming out from town to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭glanman

Ya I dont think you will get people playing just for the prizes anyway! Do other leagues offer prizes??

Also, how do ye decide who gets into which league from the get go?

YOu should have pics of the venue and say where it is too, i presume it is this place http://www.sportsvillagecork.com/gallery/

I just think the site is a bit too vague to be handing over €700 to someone so you might want to sort this out, instead of the contact me adress you have, (personal address??)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Astro.ie are going to be playing on the new pitches at the back of Douglas Comm... They look quite impressive I must say, even if they are a tad small! Very handy place aswell for a league, on a few bus routes so people aren't relying on cars if they want a pint afterwards :)

ha! have to be able to take the criticism! Have a look at what the other leagues offer as prizes.... The indoor league is going to be on in the sports village behind Eden Hall in Bishopstown Monday night from 8 to 9 and 9 to 10. The venue for the 7 a side hasn't been finalised but will hopefully be Douglas Hall's new astro pitch, which is absolutely mint, also on a monday night,but this isn't finalised yet but we will hopefully know by the end of the week, but because there is nothing set in stone, we cant advertise it as being on there yet ya know?

As for the grading this will be the same as the other leagues, you decide based on who you have playing for you if yere seven MSL players ye'd obviously be in the top division and want to be there. Whereas if yere all 38 years old and 17 stone and out for the craic, ye'll want to be in the lower division! I know this has its hitches but as far as i can gather its the same with the rest of 'em...if there is demand for a third division, there will be one....

The site is still under construction and there is some serious work still needs to be done to it just trying to get the word out there. So tear it apart if ye want, it all helps us to fix things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭glanman

Ya thats all I was doing anyway, was just trying to be helpful!

Regarding the prizes, I just don't think you should be saying that there are "great prizes" when to be honest they are nothing special. If a team wants to play in the league that should be enough, don't think many teams play for the prizes other than the competitive side of winning!

Best of luck to you anyway, its always great to have more options for this type of game!

nice one.

spose we just see the prizes as a nice bonus and we're gonna be looking at it with rose tinted glasses on anyway seeing as its our "baby".

Shur we'll see how it goes, started out as a drunken conversation about a week and a half ago and we've been knee deep in it since, some amount of sh1t involved....

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

It seems the ction is in Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

'ACTION' not 'ction' . Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oisin66

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Astro.ie are going to be playing on the new pitches at the back of Douglas Comm... They look quite impressive I must say, even if they are a tad small! Very handy place aswell for a league, on a few bus routes so people aren't relying on cars if they want a pint afterwards :)

They are way too small for 6 a-side. Might be suitable for 5 a-side though!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 JimmyJazz

Hi Lads,

I'm lookin for a game to join around Cork - recently moved to Cork so I'm a bit light on the contacts front!!

Any ideas about where i can go to get a game?

JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

JimmyJazz wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I'm lookin for a game to join around Cork - recently moved to Cork so I'm a bit light on the contacts front!!

Any ideas about where i can go to get a game?

JJ

I believe you can register your name on astro.ie and if a team needs a player they might give you a call.

JJ,
    A few of us play 5 a side in Eden Hall, usually every week, and it costs 60 for the rental. It's not too high a level, but its nice and competitive. We're contemplating joining some shape or form of a league in a while, but its just a weekly game for now. If you're going straight into the competitive astro.ie etc, fire away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reusable

Hi guys,
    I am looking into setting up a 5 or 7 aside league in Cork, I want to know how much teams would want to pay and at what times.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Vince44

Hey,

We have a team and we're looking for a 6 or 7 aside with good pitch (Douglas?) for Monday nights.

We've played regularly for the Astro league but can't find anything interesting for the Spring season.

Vince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reusable

Hi,

ive created a league on www.7asidecork.com. all feedback and comments appreciated, the fee can be paid up fron before the season or per game.

Thanks,

Patrick

Advertisement