Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citylink re-open Galway-Limerick-Cork bus route

Options
  • 09-02-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Citylink have re-opened their Galway-Limerick-Cork route except now it goes on to UCC and Cork Airport. 90 mins from Galway-Limerick.

Timetable:
    http://www.citylink.ie/timetable-galw2cork.htm

http://www.citylink.ie/medrel_9.htm
    04/02/09)

Irish Citylink re-commences Cork – Galway Route

Following many appeals from passengers, Citylink Ireland are planning to re-commence scheduled Coach services between Galway City and Cork City from Wednesday 4th February 09, three months after they suspended operations on this route.

The number of daily services to operate daily will be reduced from 13 to 8 but will offer through access, for the first time ever, to Cork Airport. Some of the revised scheduled services will suit commuters who prefer to have an early start to their journey, while the other service times are designed to suit normal inter-City passengers. All will have the added advantage of a significant reduction in journey time.

Citylink Ireland were always conscious, and greatly appreciative, of the support they received from the travelling Public throughout the West and South of Ireland and are pleased to have received approval from the Department of Transport for the re-commencement of services on this route. We look forward to rewarding that support by offering a high class safe and comfortable passenger facility.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Great stuff. I got the bus from Galway a few months back cause I had no other option. It took over 2.5 hours. What a joke. It went on the old back roads parrallel to the dual carriage for about 15 mins before eventually crossing over and down onto the dual carriage way.

Hopefully that service above takes off as I can imagine it must be a nightmare of a trip for anybody who has to do it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I took this on Thursday night (the 19.45 one) and I was the only one on it. Left on time and was in Oranmore at 21.05 so it was well on track of being in Galway for 21.15. They have cut out going to Ennis altogether which suits me great! They are only doing 8 routes as opposed to the previous 13.
    I love having to avoid Ennis, if you are really unlucky with bus eireann, you will end up going out to Shannon Airport too.

mars bar wrote: »
    I love having to avoid Ennis, if you are really unlucky with bus eireann, you will end up going out to Shannon Airport too.

I think all the buses from Limerick to Galway serve both Ennis and Shannon AIrport. What a joke.

The Bus Eireann ones always do Ennis and they sometimes do Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

mars bar wrote: »
    The Bus Eireann ones always do Ennis and they sometimes do Shannon.

BE should drop going to Shannon Airport on the Galway-Limerick route as it's already well served by the local Limerick-Shannon buses and also the Ennis-Shannon bus. Ennis is the biggest town between Galway and Limerick so I think it's fair enough to stop there.

Citylink doing Limerick-Galway in 90 mins is great though but they really need to advertise more in Limerick and Cork. They are hardly known there otherwise you might be the only one on the bus for a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Why did they drop this profitable route in the first place. Only to reopen it a few weeks later.:confused: Will bosco be back too?? The way things go in this country is yabba yabba dooo...:D

God I don't get this county most of the time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Tadhg17 wrote: »
    BE should drop going to Shannon Airport on the Galway-Limerick route as it's already well served by the local Limerick-Shannon buses and also the Ennis-Shannon bus. Ennis is the biggest town between Galway and Limerick so I think it's fair enough to stop there.

Citylink doing Limerick-Galway in 90 mins is great though but they really need to advertise more in Limerick and Cork. They are hardly known there otherwise you might be the only one on the bus for a while :)

Totally agreed. It's a right pain in the arse, so it is. It's totally off the radar if you only want to travel from Galway to Limerick. The whole trip from the N18 to Shannon and stop to let off passengers and back on the same route again, takes an annoying amount of time of your journey.

Given the fact you didnt actually get any closer to Limerick the whole rat run into Shannon. They should leave people off at Ennis, as there is a bus station there and all Galway and North passengers should exchange to a dedicated bus from here. It's make's perfect sense to all passengers' and benifets both non stop traffic and Shannon traffic.

mysterious wrote: »
    Why did they drop this profitable route in the first place. Only to reopen it a few weeks later.:confused: Will bosco be back too?? The way things go in this country is yabba yabba dooo...:D

God I don't get this county most of the time now.

Citylink dropped this service because the Government stopped paying the fuel rebate last Autumn and also the fact that there was very low numbers travelling on the Galway-Limerick-Cork route. They really need to get their name out there around Limerick and Cork.

Given the fact you didnt actually get any closer to Limerick the whole rat run into Shannon. They should leave people off at Ennis, as there is a bus station there and all Galway and North passengers should exchange to a dedicated bus from here. It's make's perfect sense to all passengers' and benifets both non stop traffic and Shannon traffic.

Some of the BE buses at the weekends only stop at Cork, Limerick, Ennis and Galway especially on Sundays but they need to have more of these express buses.

Well obviously it's not enough jsut to have a Limerick - Shannon - Limerick bus coz a lot of people do get on to go to Galway, but there should be a separate bus for that.

I hope more people start taking the Citylink route. I can only take it on a Thursday evening though coz it only goes as far as Galway. If I go on a Friday morning I have to get Bus Eireann coz they do a connecting bus to Tuam. I wish City Link would do a route up to Sligo, and stop in Tuam on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

The problem with the dedicated Limerick/Shannon airport bus (343 route) is that it takes much longer to reach the airport then the expressway service. The 343 bus serves Shannon town and the industrial estate. I used it once and vowed never to do so again.

You know when you fly to some random outpost with Ryanair and they have buses waiting to take you the other 100km to your destination? Do they operate a similar service in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Totally agreed. It's a right pain in the arse, so it is. It's totally off the radar if you only want to travel from Galway to Limerick. The whole trip from the N18 to Shannon and stop to let off passengers and back on the same route again, takes an annoying amount of time of your journey.

But wouldnt traffic numbers to shannon airport be higher than ennis because of the amount of people needing to go to the airport.

1huge1 wrote: »
    But wouldnt traffic numbers to shannon airport be higher than ennis because of the amount of people needing to go to the airport.

Nope. The amount of times I have seen the Limerick - Galway bus (via Shannon) almost full of people(and I worrying about getting a seat!) and then have about 10 people left when you get to Ennis is mad! Much outweighs the number of people going to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dimples06

where doeys the citylink bus leave from limerick to Galway? im dont really know limerick. i know where the bus station is so directions from there maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

dimples06 wrote: »
    where doeys the citylink bus leave from limerick to Galway? im dont really know limerick. i know where the bus station is so directions from there maybe??
    It's at the bus stop at the end of Upper Mallow Street, next to Peoples' park, opposite of FAS, not too far from Colbert station.

dimples06 wrote: »

If you are standing at the main gate of the train station. Look across the road to your left and you will see the entrance to Peoples Park. The bus stop is just 20 yards down from there on Mallow St.

Advertisement