Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 pay monthly's

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The law dosen't say you need at least 2 of these 3 things..

1. Where did you buy your phone or sim
    2. What are the last 3 dialed numbers (2 is no use)
    3. What's you pin

even if you have the last 3 dialed numbers they still want the place of purchase or the pin....(2 out of 3)

The law does actually state that they need to verify with at least two pieces of information but they will accept 3 recently dialled numbers alone. I know because I've done it

the pin and place of purchase are unique to meteor.....if you've an unregistered sim and a phone you don't know where it was bought, you have no choice but to move from meteor when you loose or need a replacement sim.....
    So if you can't remember a pathetically low three people you called in the past 3 months AND have no other way of getting their numbers AND you can't remember where you bought it AND you can't remember how much you topped up by or when then you can't get a replacement sim

So basically if you know nothing more about the account than any random person off the street you can't get a replacement sim. That is as it should be. That is the way it is not only in every network in the country but in every business in the country and you are quite simply wrong to suggest otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They don't. In fact their system is the weakest as it allows civilians at home to go online and request ports.

lads were on the internet, I think there could be some messers reading, time for some post editing I think.....

Sam i'm now at 085 1000003, i'll move you yet, Boy'O!:D

it is, it's the worst of them all...

i'm not making it up, that's my experience, and that's what i've got from it...

You see drunkmonkey I think you are making this up. Not that meteor has such a policy but that other networks don't. They're required to by law

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You see drunkmonkey I think you are making this up.

i'm not making it up, surley a copy of a business card and a picture of the van the the 2ft 085 number plastered across the side of it would have been enough to cover their ass for data protection...would you agree?

They don't. In fact their system is the weakest as it allows civilians at home to go online and request ports.

You should also know that even being pre paid doesn't make a difference. You can just as easily port out a bill pay number. Unless the port is blocked because you owe them money or you're coming from 3 so they fcuk it up :P

• Advertisement

i'm not making it up, surley a copy of a business card and a picture of the van the the 2ft 085 number plastered across the side of it would have been enough to cover their ass for data protection...would you agree?

No, for two reasons.
    1. The act does not cover pictures of vans. They have to verify with some information that was given to them by the registered customer and is on their database

2. A picture of a van proves fcuk all. It could be anyone's van. He could have just walked up to it in a car park and taken the picture. Or he might even have stolen the van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Normally to take a bill pay number you need a copy of the bill.

Not if you're porting to pre pay afaik. You only need a bill if you're signing up to a new contract. And definitely not if you can do it yourself on the 3 website

No, for two reasons.
    1. The act does not cover pictures of vans. They have to verify with some information that was given to them by the registered customer and is on their database

2. A picture of a van proves fcuk all. It could be anyone's van. He might even have stolen it

lol, for fcuks sake common sense has to prevail at some stage, I know were in a recession and anything goes but nicking a carpenters van and then walking into a phone shop to get his phone number so you can go off and build some shelves has to be one for the darwin awards......:D

you don't need a copy of a bill but you do need the customers account number, it's not as simple to move a contract customer to another contract...Oh lord god help us with the pre pay...

• Advertisement

lol, for fcuks sake common sense has to prevail at some stage, I know were in a recession and anything goes but nicking a carpenters van and then walking into a phone shop to get his phone number so you can go off and build some shelves has to be one for the darwin awards......:D
    no "common sense" doesn't have to prevail because it's illegal for it to prevail and it would not prevail with any law abiding business in this country

you don't need a copy of a bill but you do need the customers account number, it's not as simple to move a contract customer to another contract...Oh lord god help us with the pre pay...

Hmmm. Maybe you do. It's been a while since I've done it

no "common sense" doesn't have to prevail because it's illegal for it to prevail

this countrys screwed...

Hmmm. Maybe you do. It's been a while since I've done it

you do, to move a contract customer you need their account number.....pre pay or contract makes no difference, it's required..

this countrys screwed...

Personally I think it would be screwed without the data protection act. There might be something done for people in his situation if they go into head office personally and plead their case but people answering the phones are not authorised to break the law in any company

btw, a darwin award is given for dying in a stupid way and doesn't really apply here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Honestly drunkmonkey, give it a rest. Data protection is something that companies are getting fined for, so of course it may seem that superfluous procedures are put in place to stop identity theft and protect users' data and privacy in your eyes, but, as Sam has mentioned countless times over his last few posts, it is the law.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    superfluous procedures are put in place to stop identity theft and protect users' data and privacy in your eyes, .

that's not what I was saying... http://mishmashblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/cry.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Not if you're porting to pre pay afaik. You only need a bill if you're signing up to a new contract. And definitely not if you can do it yourself on the 3 website

You need a copy of mobile bill and the account number if you are porting a bill number. Also if you use the on line porting with 3 they will call the porting in number to verify the request.

Walkman wrote: »
    You need a copy of mobile bill and the account number if you are porting a bill number. Also if you use the on line porting with 3 they will call the porting in number to verify the request.

Fair enough, I retract my statement :P

I retract my statement :P

it's the internet not the High Court:p

hard to tell the difference sometimes....

• Advertisement

Also if you use the on line porting with 3 they will call the porting in number to verify the request.
    In my many ports into 3 via the online system, 3 have never contacted me to verify my details or even to check if I owned the number being ported.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

jus got the vodafone phone up and running again!

I would like to thank 3 for releasing my number to vodafone after nearly 3 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

In my many ports into 3 via the online system, 3 have never contacted me to verify my details or even to check if I owned the number being ported.

And you have ported your number many times on to 3 using the on line porting system? Why would you keep porting back to 3 only to port off again?

Different numbers my good man, different numbers.

I would like to thank 3 for releasing my number to vodafone after nearly 3 days!
    You were very lucky. I have encountered cases where 3 have dragged their heels for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I‘m glad you're finally through your ordeal. The good thing to come out of this is that you've learned a valuable lesson. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Same here - changed my wifes phone over to 3 last week - never contacted us - phone ported over at 8:30 on Thursday night - no prior notification received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They have 14% market share now, more than meteor had after they (meteor) were 3yrs 7mts trading

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Source?

From Comreg:
    H3GI’s market share at the end of 2008 represented 4.4% of the total active mobile subscription base in Ireland (exclusive of mobile broadband)

Advertisement