Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 pay monthly's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it's fine in most built up areas. You might have some problems with data coverage in louth.

The north can be an issue because just like in the republic they have a roaming deal to cover the areas where they don't have coverage but pre pay customers can only connect to the 3uk network itself. I'm not sure if it's the same for bill pay though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

whats the coverage like, ive heard from people that its not great, im from meath but do be in dublin, louth and the north quite a bit.

im really interested in the broadband and would go for the n95 or the e71 if i take out a contract

Talk and text coverage is 99.7%, 3g coverage is 87%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

whats the coverage like, ive heard from people that its not great, im from meath but do be in dublin, louth and the north quite a bit.

im really interested in the broadband and would go for the n95 or the e71 if i take out a contract

The coverge is quite good, I'm very rarley without signal, when your not on 3's 3G network you roam on to vodafones so your pretty much covered nation wide for calls......I'd check out the 3G coverage in your area first, have you had a look at the map, http://maps.three.ie/coverageViewer/jsp/content/mapScreen.do and make sure your house is in a dark blue area...

They only way your going to really know what the coverage is like is to test it out, you've a no quibble 14 day money back gurantee, you can't go wrong...

I'm using the e71 since it came out and I can safley say it's the best phone i've ever had

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's a bit patchy really. Even in the cities. Stretches of the railway line between Cork & Dublin are blank.

It's probably more noticeable because 3 tout their internet type service so it's noticeable when you can't access it eg when bored on the train ;)

Customer service is brutal. Extremely polite but close to useless at times.

parsi wrote: »
    It's a bit patchy really. Even in the cities. Stretches of the railway line between Cork & Dublin are blank.

It's probably more noticeable because 3 tout their internet type service so it's noticeable when you can't access it eg when bored on the train ;)

Coverage with their modems and their phones is different. Their modems are 3g only where their phones fall back onto vodafone 2g network where there is on 3g network. I have been with 3 since they launched and have never had a problem with coverage, especially in any urban area.

• Advertisement

I was talking about their phone service. They tout their phones as internet devices....

I was talking about their phone service. They tout their phones as internet devices....

They do, but in fairness to them their phones are a lot more wired up than any other network....like how many meteor customers complain they can't use skype, play poker or watch TV on their phone (do they even know it's possible yet).... the only one that comes close to them is Vodafone but you'll pay an extra 25%+ in your bill for less minutes, internet and support...
    Vodafone and 3 are also the only networks offering video calls and they have been for a while.....

Yes.

Therefore when their 3G coverage is non-existent then it is pretty noticeable - this is the point that I'm making.

Please take off your 3 Glasses and look at what I wrote :

Three offer folk the ability to use their phones to do much more than talk. This is in their 3G areas. When you're out of these areas then all you can do is call and not browse Youtube, get bebo updates or use Skype. If you use these additional services a lot then it's obvious that there will be difficulties when you're out of 3g coverage.

VF et al primarily tout their phones for making calls - it makes no odds whether you're in 2G or3G because you'll still be able to call.

Therefore when their 3G coverage is non-existent then it is pretty noticeable - this is the point that I'm making.

I saw that point, agree with you totally, lack of 3G is more obvious on 3 than any other network.....still i've saved a fortune on magazines an newspapers...it annoys me that you can't use data on vodafone...it's the one major gripe I have with them....

I wish Three had international data roaming to more than a handful of countries.

I'm partial to sending pics to my blog (and others) and when abroad the only viable option seems to be VF - o2 don't seem to allow MMS when roaming (PAYG) and VF allow MMS and also have the 99c a day which is ok if you upload a few days worth of pics in one batch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Invincible

+1

Vodafone and 3 are also the only networks offering video calls and they have been for a while.....

I took you off ignore because i didn't want to let you say whatever incorrect information you wanted without correction. You can make video calls on meteor as has been previously pointed out to you. Carry on

Walkman wrote: »
    Coverage with their modems and their phones is different. Their modems are 3g only where their phones fall back onto vodafone 2g network where there is on 3g network. I have been with 3 since they launched and have never had a problem with coverage, especially in any urban area.

I think he was specifically talking about internet access on the phones which doesn't work on 2g

Edit: maybe i'm wrong. Do you have a modem or a phone parsi?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You can make video calls on meteor

How much are the calls, is it only when your in dublin or cork, can't see any mention of it on their website...

I tried it before and it didn't work, must try it again tomorrow... the last time I used it was on 3 with a C905 and it was pretty impressive...

How much are the calls, is it only when your in dublin or cork, can't see any mention of it on their website...

I tried it before and it didn't work, must try it again tomorrow... the last time I used it was on 3 with a C905 and it was pretty impressive...
    It costs the same as a normal call and it works wherever they have 3g coverage

Here is a link to a thread from october where i told you that meteor supports video calls:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57502430&postcount=25

And yet here you are still saying they don't support it. I hope now it is obvious to everyone that i am not "bullying" you, i am simply correcting (imo deliberately) wrong information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do many people even bother using them, even if they are as price as a normal call. 3 used to advertise these, it was part of their original price plans 'video talk and text' now they dont really put much emphasis on them imo. It would be interesting to see the % of calls that are made that are video calls.

It costs the same as a normal call and it works wherever they have 3g coverage

Ok the network supports it but it's no use to most meteor customers as they don't have 3G coverage in most of the country (2 wheels does not make a car)....while were at it, is it still not possible on o2?

davton wrote: »
    Do many people even bother using them, even if they are as price as a normal call. 3 used to advertise these, it was part of their original price plans 'video talk and text' now they dont really put much emphasis on them imo. It would be interesting to see the % of calls that are made that are video calls.

I'd say a very little %, I do use them and so do my mates, it's a bit of fun and good if you haven't met up in a while...

I think it will take off but it'll be a few years...

Ok the network supports it but it's no use to most meteor customers as they don't have 3G coverage in most of the country (2 wheels does not make a car)
    Whatever you say.
    ....while were at it, is it still not possible on o2?
    no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'd say a very little %, I do use them and so do my mates, it's a bit of fun and good if you haven't met up in a while...

I think it will take off but it'll be a few years...

Its been 3 and a half :P

• Advertisement

Yea, there's been some good time on the auld video calls over the last 3 years, I really hope they don't record them:)

I think when every network has 3G it'll kick off again...I just use it for calling mates on Voda and 3..

I don't see it taking off myself. It has its uses and its a bit of fun but i've had video phones since 2005 and i've only made a handful of video calls and i've only ever received one. It's just too much hassle for every day use

There'll always be some and probably enough to make it financially viable but imo it'll always be a niche market

I don't see it taking off myself

It's going to be big when people get there head round it (or the 02 marketing department)

<snip> don't want the kids to see in the morning : )

I think he was specifically talking about internet access on the phones which doesn't work on 2g

Edit: maybe i'm wrong. Do you have a modem or a phone parsi?

A phone, Sam.

A phone, Sam.

3 have never hidden the fact that their internet based applications need 3g coverage. I am sure are the NBS rollout begins you will see their 3g coverage expand quite rapidly

Walkman wrote: »
    3 have never hidden the fact that their internet based applications need 3g coverage. I am sure are the NBS rollout begins you will see their 3g coverage expand quite rapidly

Nobody said they had.

However if you are a heavy user of 3's internet based applications on your phone then patchy coverage is much more apparent than if you are using your phone solely for voice calls and sms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

It is great to see the friendliness amongst us all... I have been with 3 now for nearly a year. Firstly I have to contact CS on a number of occasions and I have can only say I found them more then helpful, and most times the issue was resolved. If I could compare them to Vodafone who I was with for nearly 8 years, 3 come out the better for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

would an iphone that was jailbroken work on 3?

would an iphone that was jailbroken work on 3?

If it's a 3g iphone yes, if it's the old one no

• Advertisement

Nobody said they had.

However if you are a heavy user of 3's internet based applications on your phone then patchy coverage is much more apparent than if you are using your phone solely for voice calls and sms.

Your earlier post could read as patchy coverage not patchy 3g coverage. The majority of phone users are mostly interested in talk and text. My point is 3 never hide what is and is not available with 3g coverage so its up to the individual to do some research before signing up and as i said those patches with no 3g coverage should be filled in sooner rather than later with the NBR.

Advertisement