Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 pay monthly's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

would an iphone that was jailbroken work on 3?

what happend to the N95 or e71...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

Guys, do you know if wiith 3 pay monthly - is there a minimum call charge?
    And what way are the inclusive minutes used? I mean, do they charge you for each second? So if a call was 20 seconds only 20 seconds will go from your minutes or the whole minute? I hope that calls to free numbers doesn't use your inclusive minutes?

Thanks

lo0kash wrote: »
    Guys, do you know if wiith 3 pay monthly - is there a minimum call charge?
    And what way are the inclusive minutes used? I mean, do they charge you for each second? So if a call was 20 seconds only 20 seconds will go from your minutes or the whole minute? I hope that calls to free numbers doesn't use your inclusive minutes?

Thanks

there's no minimum call charge on pay montly and calls are charged per second, voicemail is also free.....i'm not sure about the free phone numbers, maybe walkman might know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if a call is free it's free and doesn't come out of your exclusive minutes

thanks, I think I will try them Meteor pissed me off by introducing min call charge without any notice. My bill jumped by something like 40% as I didn't realize that each time I reach voicemail and hangup I'm charged 9c and not 1 or 2c.

• Advertisement

/starts munching popcorn:)

thanks, I think I will try them Meteor pissed me off by introducing min call charge without any notice. My bill jumped by something like 40% as I didn't realize that each time I reach voicemail and hangup I'm charged 9c and not 1 or 2c.

oh they did give notice. they put a single article in the irish times :rolleyes:

i emailed them to complain about that

/starts munching popcorn

I don't get it...
    I'm not going into telling story of my life if that's what you mean ;)

I don't get it...
    I'm not going into telling story of my life if that's what you mean ;)

he thought i'd jump in to defend them but the way they handled that was bad form and i'm not going to pretend it wasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zest4life

Hiya ,

I've just read this thread .... and to be honest Im still as confused as ever . I'm currently with O2 ... my bills are scandalously high . I enquired about changing price plans with them and was told that basically they had nothing more to offer me and that my current plan was as good as it gets . So I'm considering moving to 3 and my main concern is network coverage . I can see from the coverage map that I'm ok in my home area . And I currently have the 3 broadband already. But tbh I only really have a good signal on that when I'm upstairs in my home and I'm worried the same will apply to their mobile network . Plus I move around the country a lot and am worried about coverage outside of urban areas . Can anyone give me their opinions on their experience with the network coverage ?

Thanks so much :)

• Advertisement

For calls and text their network is as good as any of them if that's your concern....

how many minutes and texts are you using?

maybe that is stupid question, but here

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/3-sim-only-3pay-white-3pay.htm

it says you have to have 3g phone to use their sim card... does that mean the sim card won't work with older non-3g phone? or just you won't be able to use 3g features with older phone?

Approx 400 mins .... and 300 texts I think .
    3 have offered me their relax 650 bundle with a 20% reduction on the monthly fee for life as Im an existing broadband user . Bill should work out at €60 per month. Last few O2 bills are between €130 and €190 per month !! Hard to beat that for value .... so coverage is my main concern. 3 are also offering me a huge variett of handsets with this for free .

Their call and text coverage is fine because it's backed up by vodafone. Their 3g coverage covers 87% of the country by population.

If you have poor 3g coverage in your house you might have an issue where your phone tries to latch onto the weak 3g signal over the strong 2g one. On most 3g phones you can avoid this by disabling 3g but 3 disables this option on their phones.

You can try it out for 14 days to see if the coverage is good in the important areas.

And here comes the obligatory mention that when most people are joining their main concern is coverage but their main concern very quickly becomes the customer care. It's the reason quoted by most people i've seen leave them

maybe that is stupid question, but here

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/3-sim-only-3pay-white-3pay.htm

it says you have to have 3g phone to use their sim card... does that mean the sim card won't work with older non-3g phone? or just you won't be able to use 3g features with older phone?

A 3 sim will work in some 2g phones where others will reject the sim but even if the phone itself works you won't get coverage in large parts of the country

Thanks for that Sam Vimes .... I have used the customer care team for their broadband service on several occasions and bar the sometimes long wait for a representative ... I have always found them very helpful .

zest4life wrote: »
    Thanks for that Sam Vimes .... I have used the customer care team for their broadband service on several occasions and bar the sometimes long wait for a representative ... I have always found them very helpful .

That's actually one complaint i don't have about them :D
    They've always answered very quickly when i called

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Walkman wrote: »
    Your earlier post could read as patchy coverage not patchy 3g coverage. The majority of phone users are mostly interested in talk and text. My point is 3 never hide what is and is not available with 3g coverage so its up to the individual to do some research before signing up and as i said those patches with no 3g coverage should be filled in sooner rather than later with the NBR.

Oh dear God - this is like talking to 3 Customer support ;)

All my posts have said that if you're a heavy user of 3s internet services then their patchy coverage will be more noticeable.

Yes, they may have 2G fallback for voice; yes they may fill the 3g gaps in the future but at the moment if you're a heavy user of their internet-based services then patchy coverage will be noticeable.

You can look at all the mockya coverage maps but the OP wanted to know the reallife experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Like talking to 3 customer support?

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about coverage for 3...

If you were to lets say compare 3 to Meteor or o2 for talk and text coverage, 3 would come out on top as they are backed up by Vodafone Irelands largest network...so 99% of the time you will have be able to talk and text on 3

If you were to compare 3 to Vodafone, o2 and Meteor for 3G coverage again 3 would come out on top...as they have the largest 3G network in Ireland..

And if somebody asks who has the largest 3G coverage in Europe, again 3 will come out on top...

If your worried about talk and text don't be, 3 are pretty much covered nationwide...

If your worried about using data wherever you go, your right to be slightly concerned, Vodafone and o2 have a GPRS network to fall back on for data, 3 does not...you can only use data when your on 3's network...

I'm wating to be corrected but that's what I know from what i've been told...

• Advertisement

If you were to lets say compare 3 to Meteor or o2 for talk and text coverage, 3 would come out on top as they are backed up by Vodafone Irelands largest network...so 99% of the time you will have be able to talk and text on 3
    meteor are also backed up by vodafone as you know
    And if somebody asks who has the largest 3G coverage in Europe, again 3 will come out on top...
    what about largest overall coverage?
    If your worried about using data wherever you go, your right to be slightly concerned, Vodafone and o2 have a GPRS network to fall back on for data, 3 does not...you can only use data when your on 3's network...
    as does meteor

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    meteor are also backed up by vodafone as you know

what about largest overall coverage?

as does meteor

Sam i'm sorry but I do not consider meteor to be a 3G network just yet...

Look i've had to deal with school kids going why is you tube so slow on my meteor phone and all I can say to them is I told you when your buying it that the w595 is a 3G phone and meteor is a 2G network, if you want to get the best out of the phone go to 3, they phone will cost you €50 less and you'll be able to do a lot more with it...

do you think any of them listened, not a hope...

a couple of kids did, they also got there heads around feast on talk and text (that took a few hours to fully explain and set up). Meteor is a network for talk and texters, GPRS is 10 year old + technology, it's wrong to compare Meteor to 3, Voda or o2 as they are not even at the races yet...

Sam i'm sorry but I do not consider meteor to be a 3G network just yet...

in the two parts where i mentioned meteor you were talking about voice and text coverage and gprs respectively so 3g is really irrelevant

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    3g

where would we be without it....

Thanks for all the information Sam Vines and Drunkenmonkey .... as I'm really only concerned with Talk & Text at the moment ... I think I should be OK to go with 3 then . Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

zest4life wrote: »
    Thanks for all the information Sam Vines and Drunkenmonkey .... as I'm really only concerned with Talk & Text at the moment ... I think I should be OK to go with 3 then . Thanks :)

Do so at your own peril. I've had countless problems with 3 and can't wait to get away from them. Roaming is a constant issue, don't text anyone while roaming, they'll get the same message until you come home. 3 will tell you it's every other network in the world is wrong :rolleyes: Their shops won't be able to fix this either. :pac:

I used to be quite pro 3 until I realised what an awful outfit they are. I plan to leave them soon, I just can't afford a new phone at the minute. They are probably the worst run telecoms company I have ever had to deal with, with the exception of Smart perhaps.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Do so at your own peril. I've had countless problems with 3 and can't wait to get away from them. Roaming is a constant issue, don't text anyone while roaming, they'll get the same message until you come home. 3 will tell you it's every other network in the world is wrong :rolleyes:

Oh no .... and I had finally made my mind up . :rolleyes:
    What kind of issues were you having ? I'm with O2 and in fairness the coverage is very good. But its just far too expensive at the minute . Vodafone pretty much told me that I'd be mad to choose them over Meteor or 3 based on the current offers with these networks . I am trying to save money by switching networks ... but I need reliabilty too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It is normally reliable here, though I sometimes get strange interference or calls not connecting. Lately, I've had a lot of calls go through to voicemail.

Roaming on a country that has a 3 network is good, cheap. Roaming in a country that doesn't have a 3 network is a nightmare. Constant problems. Their customer care tell you "this is the first we've heard of this" despite me having "logged a fault". I feel sorry for the staff but I have never (up until this week) had such a problem with customer care, that includes NTL.

I would rank 3 in the same league as Tesco for reputable mobile operator. They are a sham of an outfit and I look forward to leaving them.

Well I think I going to have to try them now anyway seeing as I've already given my notice to O2 and Vodafone have ruled themselves out of the running . I have 14 days to return my phone if the coverage is bad .... I'm nervous now after reading your comments tho .

I plan to be both in the US and UK in the coming months ... do you know if these countries have a 3 network ?

• Advertisement

where would we be without it....
    slightly slower. And the whole world would of course collapse if it was slightly slower
    paulm17781 wrote: »
    I used to be quite pro 3 until I realised what an awful outfit they are.

Me too. I was their biggest fan around here when they first started and then they gradually did more and more stupid and frustrating things until i despised them

Advertisement