Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Pearl 8100

• 09-02-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about getting this model.

Whats so fantastic about blackberrys? What makes them so amazing! Sorry i have just heard alot of hype about them but wondered what exactly it is about thme that warrants the price and exclusivity to certain networks? What do they have that a normal Nokia would not have?
    Do people find it hard to use the "qwerty" keyboard after using the regular phone keys?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Thinking about getting this model.

Whats so fantastic about blackberrys? What makes them so amazing! Sorry i have just heard alot of hype about them but wondered what exactly it is about thme that warrants the price and exclusivity to certain networks? What do they have that a normal Nokia would not have?
    Do people find it hard to use the "qwerty" keyboard after using the regular phone keys?

:)
    Blackberry handsets, made by RIM, used to be "the" handset to have if you were serious about email. Since the Nokia E series handsets were launched, RIM's dominance over the business sector within Europe has eroded, leaving the competition wide open for other handsets to encroach on RIM's territory.

Nowadays, Blackberry handsets are more in line with the smartphones from Palm, Nokia, HTC etc, and are as feature packed as most other handsets currently available; for instance, the Blackberry Storm has a touchscreen, GPS, HSDPA, Bluetooth etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Whats so fantastic about blackberrys? What makes them so amazing!

Wouldn't have thought Blackberries were amazing.
    A lot of marketing surrounding them (bit like the iphone).

They've traditionally excelled in email/text input and were (relative to more powerful, highend smartphones) limited otherwise tbh.

Admittedly though they've come on a bit in the last while compared to the serious highend WM/N series smartphones etc- what with devices
    like the Bold, Pearl and Storm.

By adding things like gps, hsdpa, going beyond just email, more apps etc.
    They're app expandability is still (relatively) small though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

for Jo soap who just wants to get email on the phone, the Blackberry is good, but its real strength is the business market and the BES (Blackberry enterprise Server) and the way it compresses the amount of data sent to the handset.

I've got a BB Bold and it is a great phone, although it is bigger than the Pearl, it has 3g and WiFi which i find very handy, I much prefer it to the nokia alternatives. I'm not a fan of the storm though, it looked a bit gimmicky to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

They're good for email, but crap for web browsing. Be aware that you need a special data plan to use any of these features though. Only Vodafone and O2 have these plans as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

so does it pick up wireless internet like the iphone yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

The 8100 doesn't have wifi. The 8120 does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

I don't think any Irish Operators do the 8120

I think the 8900 looks like a decent piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I acquired a BB Storm at Christmas and am using it on Vodafone Live for things like news browsing, facebooking, boardsing etc. Since I am on pre pay I know I cannot avail of the BB services -i have a pearl for work but most web 2.0 sites are blocked

Does anyone know a way to download and use the gmail app on a prepay Vodafone account

Thanks in advance for the help

Advertisement