Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for basic server monitoring software

Options
  • 09-02-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭

I’m looking for some basic sever monitoring software for our local office. Does anybody have any experience of a product they would like to recommend?

My requirements are…

- Be able to ping a device / IP
    - Check % disk space remaining on servers
    - Check status of Windows services
    - Be able to email SMTP alerts
    - Should be no agent to install on clients
    - Simple and intuitive to use
    - Be Windows based
    - Needs ability to run as a service itself

It’s only to fill a gap until our global enterprise monitoring is up and running, so I’m really looking for something relatively cheap [or free!]. I will be monitoring approx 50 devices, 150 checks in total.

I have used a product called Servers Alive before (http://www.woodstone.nu/salive/). However it doesn’t run well as a Windows service and it’s a nightmare to add extra devices (it’s actually easier to manually edit the config file in notepad!).

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Are your servers brand names? i.e Dell, HP etc. If they are you could use the OEM software to manage them like Dell OpenManage, HP Systems Insight Manager or IBM's Director.

IBM Director can do agentless management, but as to what level of alerts you'll get, I don't know.

I think the easiest one to use is Insight Manager, others may have different opinions :)
    It's agent based, but if you have HP servers, I think the management agents are installed during a server build.

All of the above do what you require & are free download from the vendors sites.

May I ask what enterprise product you will be using?

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Alzar wrote: »
    I think the easiest one to use is Insight Manager, others may have different opinions :)
    It's agent based, but if you have HP servers, I think the management agents are installed during a server build.

Almost correct they are installed using a smart start assited installation or by runing the proliant support pack on your server :-)

You will also need a SIM server if you are going down this route.
    Dedicated management server that your HP agents connect into full monitoring and custom event handling can be setup.
    Any question about SIM let me know just reconfigured our enviroment of 3000 + servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

I would recommend hobbit, sounds perfect for your requirements. We use it to monitor our critical systems, email, hosted services the lot. Runs on most OS`s

Easy enough to install/ configure/ maintain and administor.

http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/

Oh and free!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

HP SIM if you have HP servers.

Or take a look at http://www.whatsupgold.com/

Advertisement