Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland - v - Georgia (WCQ) Group 8 - 11/02/09 MATCH THREAD

• 09-02-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

fai_crest_col%20(100%20x%20100).jpg - v - 176412_small.jpg

World_Cup_2010_logo.png

SO I thought I'd start this.

IRISH SQUAD FROM :Shay Given, Dean Kiely, Keiren Westwood, Alex Bruce, Damien Delaney, John O'Shea, Kevin Foley, Eddie Nolan, Richard Dunne, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Kevin Kilbane, Aiden McGeady, Damien Duff, Darron Gibson, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Liam Miller, Stephen Hunt, Andy Keogh, Caleb Folan, Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Noel Hunt.

COME ON IRELAND!!!

I'd go for

GIVEN
    McSHANE
    O'SHEA
    DUNNE
    KILBANE
    MCGEADY
    ANDREWS
    MILLER
    DUFF
    DOYLE
    KEANE (c)

What Score? 122 votes

0-0
    0% 0 votes
    1-0
    1% 2 votes
    2-0
    10% 13 votes
    3-0
    13% 17 votes
    4+-0
    5% 7 votes
    0-1
    1% 2 votes
    0-2
    3% 4 votes
    1-2
    3% 4 votes
    2-1
    4% 6 votes
    2-2
    47% 58 votes
    1-1
    3% 4 votes
    3-1
    4% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What's Finnans fitness like?

Also, Miller? :eek:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I thought Finnan was crocked?

Anyway I think they team will be..

Given
    Finnan--Dunne-O'Shea-Kilbane
    Andrews---Whelan
    Duff
    Keane
    McGeady
    Doyle

Can see Andrews getting the call ahead of Gibson with Andrews and Whelan at least playing a fair bit recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

What's Finnans fitness like?

Also, Miller? :eek:

Finnan is out

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0208/nolane.html

Nolan called up to replace Finnan
    Sunday, 8 February 2009

Eddie Nolan has been called up to replace the injured Steve Finnan after Giovanni Trappatoni watched the Preston North End defender play for the second time in recent weeks.

The Italian was present at North End's home match with Burnley last month and he also attended their game with Reading at the Madjeski Stadium on Saturday.

Nolan has captained the Irish under-21 side on several occasions and also played a part in the challenge match with Nottingham Forest last year.

With Paul McShane struggling with a hamstring injury, Nolan could be in contention to play a part in the game.

He told www.pnefc.com of his shock at the call-up: 'I'm absolutely delighted to be called up. I must admit I am quite surprised. I only found out after the game (against Reading), and was shocked really to get the call from the FAI.'

The former Blackburn Rovers defender added: 'I would say it is the highlight of my career so far definitely. It is part of the learning curve for me and will be a good experience.'

Espanyol defender Finnan joins Caleb Folan in pulling out of the squad.

It remains to be seen whether Paul McShane will have to pull out of the squad because of his injury.

The squad is assembling in Malahide today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

APOLOGIES

I thought McShane was out for Nolan...

Post and Team adjusted accordingly....

Looks like PMcS prob wont play neither in which case i would pick KELLY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought Finnan was crocked?

Anyway I think they team will be..

Given
    Nolan--Dunne-O'Shea-Kilbane
    Gibson---Whelan
    McGeady
    Keane
    Duff
    Doyle

I am a Blackburn fan and all, but I don't fancy Andrews starting the game. I'd play Duffer on the left and let McGeady do his thing on the other side. I think Gibson played well enough to get another start and leave Andrews for later. The reason I don't like Andrews in here is because he has this habit of getting booked early when he starts, so I'd rather leave him for a late impact if needed.

You have to say fair play to Andrews though, having failed at Championship grade in the past and the way he has grabbed his opportunity at Blackburn at 27 years of age. Its great to see that.
    Eddie Nolan is a central defender but has played well on the right for Blackburn's reserves in the past. I don't know how his form has been over the last while but he is now full time with Preston after a loan spell got him a permanent move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who are Whelan and Andrews?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Des wrote: »
    Who are Whelan and Andrews?
    Central midfielders for Stoke and Blackburn respectively

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Central midfielders for Stoke and Blackburn respectively

Oh, Glenn Whelan I take it, has he broken into their team then?

Andrews, is he getting a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

World Cup Qualification Material if your Geovanni Trappatoni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

funny man Des, funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Whelan has been getting very positive reviews lately since he broke into the Stoke team a few months back, is a decent player keeps it simple, would work well if we had Steven Reid and Ireland in midfield.

Also Ireland have moved back into the top 30 in the world.

The north are at number 49. :D

http://www.football-rankings.info/2009/02/fifa-ranking-february-2009-final.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

They are probably playing the most out of any center midfielders in the squad.

Andrews has been starting for Blackburn since November though he has been a substitute in the last two games.

Whelan has started and finished the last 9 games for Stoke.

*league stats only.

Yeah Andrews is getting a good few games at Blackburn now, he wouldn't be an automatic starter but he is fighting hard to make it so.

Very one footed and sometimes a bit of a rash tackler, but he has improved over the last few weeks since Big Sam took the reigns at Rovers.

Edit to add, for those that are interested, Steven Reid is back in the gym, I don't think he will be back before the end of the season but there were no complications with the operation and things are progressing nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It looks like he is getting a game (see link below). Whether he is any good I'm not sure. Haven't seen blackburn other than highlights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/a/andrews_182464.stm

Anyway I think we'll scrape a 2-1 victory, although we really should be trying to get a nice victory for the GD. that will lead us nicely for the bulgaria game in Croker on March 28th(I think)

Trilla wrote: »
    funny man Des, funny

I wasn't being funny :eek:

I don't follow the national team as closely as some, and only watch the "Big 4" in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Andrews is an absolutely woeful footballer and nothing more than a hatchet man who should be playing in the lower leagues. Pure rubbish.

Anyway, I'll be at the game.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Andrews is an absolutely woeful footballer and nothing more than a hatchet man who should be playing in the lower leagues. Pure rubbish.

You haven't seen him lately Xavi, I had the same opinion but he has certainly improved over the last while.

andrews is not a hatchet man or anything like it. he's an attacking midfielder who keeps it simple. a hatchet man is like materazzi not keith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Which Ireland games has Andrews played in, if any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vokes wrote: »
    Which Ireland games has Andrews played in, if any?

Eh as much as I malighned Gibson, I wouldraher him than Andrews. If he is an attacking midfielder then he is out to begin with.

Trying so hard notto break into an Andy Reid tirade....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Who are these people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

noodler wrote: »
    Eh as much as I malighned Gibson, I wouldraher him than Andrews. If he is an attacking midfielder then he is out to begin with.

It really is hard not to though. Cant believe we are actually contemplating our midfield consisting of Keith Andrews, Glen Whealan or Darren Gibson.

Stephen Reid is a massive loss. Him and andy would of been my prefered paring in midfield.

Im reckoning it will be gibson/whealan partnership. If this was football manager id be focus passing down the flanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

noodler wrote: »

What's an Andy Reid? :p

As much as it pains me to have the Whelan/Gibson midfield, I'd say it'll be there again. I just can't fathom it. They're good young players, but not good enough. They just get over run in every game.

Bah! I just hope they prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

eagle eye wrote: »

Given
    Nolan--Dunne-O'Shea-Kilbane
    Gibson---Whelan
    McGeady
    Keane
    Duff
    Doyle

Why one up front and have Keane at centre mid(attacking mid even):confused:

We need two up front, and unless Doyle can hold up the ball I can't see 1 up there working at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

SectionF wrote: »
    Who are these people?

Not Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland or Lee Carsley, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Tom65 wrote: »
    As much as it pains me to have the Whelan/Gibson midfield, I'd say it'll be there again. I just can't fathom it. They're good young players, but not good enough. They just get over run in every game.
    I can't help thinking there's more to Gibson than what we've seen. I haven't seen him play for Utd, but I find it hard to believe that both Ferguson and Trappatoni would place any faith at all in a player as inept as that which we saw against Cyprus. He could surprise a few people against Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Looks like S. Kelly is gonna be playing ahead of McShane, Rte said he was playing their in a practice run today.

I don't rate McShane... he's too much of a liability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Bit harsh Neil? I played with Keith a good bit when I was younger, he went straight from the team my dad coached (Stella) on to Wolves. He was one of the better players in a squad that included Richie Partridge and Joe Murphy. He's a decent player that is prob not good enough for Premiership football, but I wouldn't say he's 'woeful.

He was with MK Dons with Ince which is more than likely the reason he has was bought by Blackburn when Ince was in control. He was instrumental to getting MK Dons promoted to League One, and won both PFA player of the year and League Two player of the year. OBVIOUSLY he would not turn down a move to a Premiership club... He has had some shocking games for Blackburn so far, but I would put this down to the huge change of pace between Prem and Div 2, give him a chance to settle in. Surely it is better to have as much international players as possible playing in the Premiership?

He has only had one international cap so far, and scored on his debut. Its not exactly like we have a huge amount of players to choose from is it? He's a good player to have on the pitch, can control the pace of the game when needed, and isn't afraid to give the rest of them a kick up the arse if needed, which is more than can be said of a lot of the Irish squad these days. I for one would prefer to have him in the side over Gibson, at least he's getting his game for his club. And Whelan hasn't exactly impressed for Stoke either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

roryc wrote: »
    Bit harsh Neil? I played with Keith a good bit when I was younger, he went straight from the team my dad coached (Stella) on to Wolves. He was one of the better players in a squad that included Richie Partridge and Joe Murphy. He's a decent player that is prob not good enough for Premiership football, but I wouldn't say he's 'woeful.

He was with MK Dons with Ince which is more than likely the reason he has was bought by Blackburn when Ince was in control. He was instrumental to getting MK Dons promoted to League One, and won both PFA player of the year and League Two player of the year. OBVIOUSLY he would not turn down a move to a Premiership club... He has had some shocking games for Blackburn so far, but I would put this down to the huge change of pace between Prem and Div 2, give him a chance to settle in. Surely it is better to have as much international players as possible playing in the Premiership?

He has only had one international cap so far, and scored on his debut. Its not exactly like we have a huge amount of players to choose from is it? He's a good player to have on the pitch, can control the pace of the game when needed, and isn't afraid to give the rest of them a kick up the arse if needed, which is more than can be said of a lot of the Irish squad these days. I for one would prefer to have him in the side over Gibson, at least he's getting his game for his club. And Whelan hasn't exactly impressed for Stoke either...

I think you are fighting a losing battle there Rory, I'm pretty sure Andrews broke up a Man City player earlier this season and earned a spell on Xavis blacklist!! :D

He is certainly not a Premier League talent but looks to me to be a very decent defensive midfielder who has an eye for a goal aswell. His passing is not bad but he tends to be a little bit to busy for my liking, his vision or reading of the game would be what lets him down most.

All in all, we are in for the Glenn Whelan/Darron Gibson show on Wednesday. Whelan will be solid but give the ball away while Gibson does his hands in the air, please show an option routine to his team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Anyone going to the match lads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

djpbarry wrote: »
    I can't help thinking there's more to Gibson than what we've seen. I haven't seen him play for Utd, but I find it hard to believe that both Ferguson and Trappatoni would place any faith at all in a player as inept as that which we saw against Cyprus. He could surprise a few people against Georgia.

I take your point, but when Gibson has played for Utd. he has been very disappointing. Having said that, he has been played out of position (wide on the right) on at least one of those occasions so that may have had a effect. Still though, i really don't rate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Injuries have been kind to us bar Finnan this time.

More to the point, are any (comparatively) big Georgian names out? Your man from AC (Kaladze?) was looking unlikely.

Bricking it, as per usual. For some reason I am more nervous before games vs minnows than the likes of Italy. Cant call this one, hoping Doyle will be in good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If we dont beat these, its bye bye world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

A few years back, a thread like this would have spanned 10 pages at this stage :confused:

Anyway, I can't see Trap going with anything other than a 4-4-2, considering we're at home to Georgia. Here's my guess at the line up.

GK: Shay Given
    LB: Kevin Kilbane
    CB: Alex Bruce
    CB: Richard Dunne
    RB: John O'Shea
    LM: Aiden McGeady
    CM: Darron Gibson
    CM: Glenn Whelan
    RM: Damien Duff
    FW: Kevin Doyle
    FW: Robbie Keane

As long as Trap is getting the results, I don't think we can really quibble with his team selection. I would much rather see O'Shea at centre back with Foley slotting into the right. Don't think Trap will shake things up though.

I'll be there tomorrow. Prediction is for us to win 2-0 in an unspectacular but solid performance.

Can't help but feel the A. Reid deserves to be in the squad though. He saved Sunderland's bacon last week with a superb cross to pick out Kenwyne for his goal. Two weeks before that, a surging run of his was instrumental to helping Sunderland beat Fulham 1-0.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    You haven't seen him lately Xavi, I had the same opinion but he has certainly improved over the last while.

In fairness given his early season performances he could hardly get any worse.
    anladmór wrote: »
    andrews is not a hatchet man or anything like it. he's an attacking midfielder who keeps it simple. a hatchet man is like materazzi not keith.

He most certianly isn't an attacking midfielder. Never has been, and I think eagle eye will attest to that.
    roryc wrote: »

Tbh I don't really care how nice a guy he is. He just isn't Premiership standard, and I wouldn't have him anywhere near a starting XI, though I do admit we aren't exactly spoilt for choice right now with S. Reid and Ireland absent.

A midfield of Glenn Whelan and Darron Gibson hardly strikes fear into the hearts of any international side. Keith Andrews isn't an improvement on either imo.
    Draupnir wrote: »
    I think you are fighting a losing battle there Rory, I'm pretty sure Andrews broke up a Man City player earlier this season and earned a spell on Xavis blacklist!! :D

Possibly. I also vivdly remember him chopping Fabregas numerous times because he couldn't handle the pace of the game. Not good enough.
    redout wrote: »

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd assume so.

Hard to imagine an attendance of zero.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

A few years back, a thread like this would have spanned 10 pages at this stage :confused:

Its a shame how an Ireland thread gets such few posts when the premier league match threads can go on for ages. Its the whole bandwagon thing imo.

Would love to go to the game but stuck in college the other side of the country :(

Tbh I don't really care how nice a guy he is. He just isn't Premiership standard, and I wouldn't have him anywhere near a starting XI, though I do admit we aren't exactly spoilt for choice right now with S. Reid and Ireland absent.

A midfield of Glenn Whelan and Darron Gibson hardly strikes fear into the hearts of any international side. Keith Andrews isn't an improvement on either imo.

I never said he was a nice guy... the point I was trying to make was he has a lot more experience than the other two and would IMO be a lot better versus a team like Georgia. He is used to playing against players as bad as some of the Georgian team, and has captained his team in the past. I would much, much prefer a player with his experience and presence on the field, over two young players who have already shown they can't play together as a central midfield partnership.

Without any better players to choose from, such as S. Ireland, Andrews is our best choice. I can't believe you honestly think Gibson and Whelan are a better choice after what they have shown so far?

• Advertisement

Andrews has as much top flight experience as either Whelan and Gibson. No more, no less pretty much so he is on a par. Gibson and Whelan have been part of a winning team so shouldn't be changed unless it's for someone a class above, i.e. not Andrews.

I also think you're selling the Georgians very short by comparing them to the League 2 players that Andrews does have experience against.

He hasn't just played League Two, he has played for Hull, Stoke and Wolves aswell as MK Dons. I've watched the Gibson/Whelan partnership, and it is BY FAR the worst ever central midfield partnership I have seen in a televised match. ANYTHING is an improvement on that.

Either way, I can't see Trap starting Keith, so its fairly pointless me arguing his corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I haven't seen a huge amount of Andrews but I do feel he would add a bit of steel that Whelan-Gibson partnership is missing. I just think if you have two players of equal level you should play the older one in general as they generally offer more experience and a bit more confidence (obviously there are exceptions to this). Of all the midfielders that are left out I can't believe people never mention how much we could use Carsley in this squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Agree abotu Carsley, he should definetly be getting a look in.

Some others in the Championship that are probably worth a look ahead of Darron Gibson, who is lucky to be on the Utd bench ffs so why he's in the starting XI is beyond me, and is Whelan in the Stoke team again? Garvan at Ipswich, Hoolahan doing well at Norwich too I heard.

Not sureI've heard a good word about Andrews form a Blackburn fan tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Of all the midfielders that are left out I can't believe people never mention how much we could use Carsley in this squad!

Carsley, Morrison, A Reid, Delap, all have declared as available. Morrison and Reid in good form, Delap is but is injured afaik, dont know how Carsley is doing at Bham tbh.

All seem logical but we just have to hope we know less than an old man who has won alot of trophies.

Didnt Gibson play a stormer in a recent match? Could have been vs Derby in the Carling Cup, nearly certain Fergie has specifically mentioned him recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Given
    McShane--Dunne-O'Shea-Kilbane
    Andrews---Whelan
    Duff
    Keane
    McGeady
    Doyle

that formation looks pretty nice, but in reality keane is not a playmaker in any shape or form.

so it really is

duff whelan gibson mcgeady

doyle keane

i just wish ireland would come back.

btw tommorow we play germany under-21's match, brazil are playing italy at the same time but i know which game i'll be watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

----Given----

Kilbane - Dunne- McShane - O'Shea

McGeady - Gibson - Whelan - Duff

Keane - Doyle

Would prefer Andy Reid to play in midfield though. Or maybe Hunt.

Andrews has as much top flight experience as either Whelan and Gibson. No more, no less pretty much so he is on a par. Gibson and Whelan have been part of a winning team so shouldn't be changed unless it's for someone a class above, i.e. not Andrews.

I also think you're selling the Georgians very short by comparing them to the League 2 players that Andrews does have experience against.
    Look, you seen the Andrews that I was not happy we signed. The guy is a totally different player now compared to what we seen at the start.
    So don't go writing him off just yet. Give him a chance.
    I am not saying to start him myself but he has proved over the last two months that he is up to the PL and if he is good enough for that he is good enough for us also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement