Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland - v - Georgia (WCQ) Group 8 - 11/02/09 MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Full-time

Ireland 2 Georgia 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

keane has still been really poor imo. Did well in his movement for the second goal alright, even if he didn't manage to actually get his head on it. But for a player who's main role is a creative one, he's added very little to the team. Very whiney and poor first touch most of the time. Still, delighted he got the 2goals, might raise his confidence and produce better performances in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

2-1 FT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Full time

Ireland 2 - 1 Georgia

HOLY ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

relieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ShaneU wrote: »
    We were extremely lucky tonight

credit where its due. Excellent second half performance and some good individual displays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Terrible, totally undeserved win.

Doyle, Andrews and McGeady fantastic.

Kelly, Whelan... well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

ShaneU wrote: »
    We were extremely lucky tonight

Well, we were really ****ing unlucky too. (1st half)

Although it was 2 dodgey 2-1 wins. We took 6 points from Georgia. If we continue and take 6 from Cyprus then that is qualifying form.

Joint top lads. Spare a smile. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Phew. Great second half performance it has to be said. I think we deserved to win on balance, irrespective of how the first came.

• Advertisement

Sorry. Double post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Very lucky tonight but great to have the result over. Mcgeady was brilliant.

Maybe trappatoni will see now that Whealan isnt good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'll cry if Whelan plays against Bulgaria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Will take it. :D

joe123 wrote: »
    Very lucky tonight but great to have the result over. Mcgeady was brilliant.

Maybe trappatoni will see now that Whealan isnt good enough.

you'd hope so, but i fear the only way he is dropped is if Reid comes back to fitness.

I can quite easily imagine S Ireland coming back and him picking Whelan instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Very, very lucky tonight. That said we got what we needed, 3 points and joint top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hooray, €50 bet at half time for ireland to win :D

Shambolic first half, slow and unsustained, Georgia outplayed us...

Then... Excellent second half, players like Doyle, Duff, Mcgeady and Andrews were stellar. Fair play lads, you pulled your socks up and made it count when it was needed. Sure we were damn lucky, but judging off the 2nd halfs performance, we deserved to get a couple of goals.

Needs to get rid of Whelan.. I feel sorry for Kelly, i don't rate him extremely highly, especially after tonight.. But then again i don't rate McShambles, so...

Need improvements, but 3 points is 3 points... and we'll take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Very well done to Ireland....result is all that matters!

• Advertisement

what's the story with S Reid? Out for the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I know it's "only" Georgia we're up against but I'll be surprised if Ireland keep a clean sheet this evening. Dunne has only played 50 odd minutes in 2009 and lets face it even when he was playing he was way out of form. It's usually Dunne who gets his fellow central defender out of trouble but the way he's playing that won't be the case this evening.

Having said all that I still think we may nick it, the key will be feeding both wings regularly all evening long. I'm thinking 2-1 Ireland.
    Cracking post Pighead. If I could thank it I would but for some reason it's not letting me. Anyway, Thank You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Good performance. Even though we were lucky, we totally dominated and deserved to get the win in the end. Any one of McGeady, Doyle and Andrews deserved the MOTM award.

As for Whelan, well, he was poor. I don't think we should hang him over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

what's the story with S Reid? Out for the season?

He is only back in the Gym a couple of weeks at most, so very much so.

Then he will be back for a while, and out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Gutsy second half performance, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

in fairness lads our 2nd half performance was outstanding

i think we deserved to win considering the goal that was ruled out offside

next game is gona be massive

p.s the panel slating andrews, in fairness i thought he played good. But jesus christ, ireland + carsley , carsley + reid * 10 other combinations would surely mean were gona qualify.

As souness said tho in fairness, our squad aint the best but were in an excellent position to qualifiy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Seriously Eamo needs to build a bridge about Andy Reid. To say Andrews was out of his depth is astounding. He had a great game, worked hard, used the ball well, good in the air, good in the tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd like to get Slaphead back but I don't like the noises the panel are making about geting fatboy Reid back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

nuxxx wrote: »
    in fairness lads our 2nd half performance was outstanding

i think we deserved to win considering the goal that was ruled out offside

next game is gona be massive

p.s the panel slating andrews, in fairness i thought he played good. But jesus christ, ireland + carsley , carsley + reid * 10 other combinations would surely mean were gona qualify.

As souness said tho in fairness, our squad aint the best but were in an excellent position to qualifiy.

Fair funny though when he said he thought Trap was astute in his selections WTF??

Funnier still when Dunphy went to name his 7 Irish players who would get into any european side, lmfao!! He's great entertainment if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Seriously Eamo needs to build a bridge about Andy Reid. To say Andrews was out of his depth is astounding. He had a great game, worked hard, used the ball well, good in the air, good in the tackle.

I thought that was harsh all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The ref deserves his place in the squad for the next game imo. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

ye, Andrews had a good game alright. Showed great composure on the ball and well capable of playing at this level. Be great to get Ireland into the team though to partner him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Well well...

can't say I'm still impressed by Trappatoni! for all his reputation he appears to be winging it....Staunton's teams put in similar performances and was rightly crucified.

It truly is a results business..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If I was to rate the players I'd say...

Given - 7
    Kelly - 5
    Kilbane - 6
    O'Shea - 6
    Dunne - 6
    Whelan - 4 (Abysmal)
    Andrews - 6
    Duff - 7
    McGeady - 8
    Keane - 7
    Doyle - 7

Sub: S Hunt - not on long enough

Edit: Forgot about the ref - 10 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

deisedevil wrote: »
    Fair funny though when he said he thought Trap was astute in his selections WTF??

Funnier still when Dunphy went to name his 7 Irish players who would get into any european side, lmfao!! He's great entertainment if nothing else.

Included in those, John O'Shea, classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

deisedevil wrote: »

Not to mention he included Championship Doyle in this seven. I'm sure Barcelona are watching him keenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Poor Keith is getting slated here even though he didn't put a foot wrong :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Included in those, John O'Shea, classic!

HE IS IN A GREAT EUROPEAN SIDE. . John o shea was solid tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

robbie should watch hours of roy keane interviews and learn to put a few sentences together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Thought Andrews had a solid game. Whelan showed once again he is out of his depth at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Great second half performance from the lads, truly deserved the win.

McGeady played a cracker and was really the root of Ireland's attack. Fully deserved MOTM IMO.

As for Andrews, I don't know why he is getting slated as he had a pretty good game. A few misplaced passes here and there but the amount of possesion he won for us and the way he commanded the centre of the park surely cancels them out.

Georgia were unbelievably shocking at tackling and I thought poor Doyle got the worst of it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LOL @ Bill and 'McCreevy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

I dont think anyone here is slating Andrews, its the opinion of Dunphy that they are talking about, and we all know Dunphy is laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Poor Keith is getting slated here even though he didn't put a foot wrong :confused:

I quite like the look of him but Glen Whelan is not and never will be an international footballer!

What role has Brady got on the management team?? has he no say at all!! if he was sat in RTE he'd be slaughtering Whelan for his performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Andrews had a very good performance, looks a great addition to the setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I dont think anyone here is slating Andrews, its the opinion of Dunphy that they are talking about, and we all know Dunphy is laughable
    yeah it really only dunphy .the panel on sky praised andrews.whats the story wit carsley ,hes playing every week for birmingham ,trap not rate him?

ntlbell wrote: »
    robbie should watch hours of roy keane interviews and learn to put a few sentences together

Trappa can speak better then robbie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Wasn't saying anyone on here was:confused:

I can't sit down and watch that analysis team and take them seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

yabadabado wrote: »
    whats the story wit carsley ,hes playing every week for birmingham ,trap not rate him?

Birmingham fans don't seem happy with Carsley at all. On their forums they're looking for him to be dropped in place of Fahey

On another note, I thought Robbie's general play was abysmal tonight, looked worse than Whelan :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well pleased with the result and it was a decent performance to go with it. Yeah we missed a couple of chances but we still got what we needed from the game even if we did need a little help to make up for the refs mistakes on the disallowed goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dyl10 wrote: »
    Andrews had a very good performance, looks a great addition to the setup

Thought he had a pretty decent game,he has promise.
    As for Whelan,he is crap,did anyone see that free kick he took near the end ,how was he left take that ,he can barely pass the ball 5 yards.

Dunphy was silenced by Souness tonight and rightly so.
    Absolute nonsense that he spouts.
    Before the match he said "Ireland have 7 or 8 magnificent players " then afterwards he said that 7 of the Irish team would get into any European side ,nearly died of laughter.Maybe he meant European Womens teams .

Advertisement