Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland - v - Georgia (WCQ) Group 8 - 11/02/09 MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Sorry.. i would go for whelan, miller in midfield... mcgeady & duff out wide with keane in behind doyle making the play from the current squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Now I don't want to go against the purpose of the thread too much but people wishing for Stephen Ireland to come back blows my mind when we have an equally talented (maybe not this season but over the years) Andy Reid who wants to be in the squad but can't get in!

O'Shea is a player I have very little time for, I think he hides on the pitch, is cowardly in the 50-50 and has concentration lapses. However even I have to admit he looked impressive in the opening 3 qualifiers and should not be moved.

Whelan has not looked too bad in the opening games either, perhaps Cyprus aside, and deserves his place at the moment. I would love someone other than Gibson but Trap seems set.

Real problem with this system IMO is that if the wingers have a bad game then we are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Lee Carsley. enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Lads Xavi is right I started this as thae match thread so lets talk about the players in the squad

well if a player gets injured, arnt they allowed be replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

well if a player gets injured, arnt they allowed be replaced?
    Jaysus, I know Gibson was poor against Cyprus, but is it really necessary to call a hit on the lad?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Looks like the team will be same as last time barring injury enforced changes
    Trap is sticking to his guns.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhsnideycwsn/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just heard on Newstalk that Andrews is starting tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

the team is ok on paper but nothing that good.

Shay Given - Manchester City
    Paul McShane – Sunderland (subject to fitness)
    John O'Shea - Manchester United
    Richard Dunne - Manchester City
    Kevin Kilbane - Hull City
    Aiden McGeady - Glasgow Celtic
    Glenn Whelan - Stoke City
    Keith Andrews - Blackburn Rovers
    Damien Duff - Newcastle United
    Kevin Doyle - Reading
    Robbie Keane – Tottenham Hotspurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

McShane playing is a joke, imo.

What time is Kick Off btw?

a mate wants to go for pints tomorrow evening, I'll be finding a piano bar :D

• Advertisement

KO 10am tommorow des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Des wrote: »
    McShane playing is a joke, imo.

What time is Kick Off btw?

a mate wants to go for pints tomorrow evening, I'll be finding a piano bar :D

Don't think we had any other option at right back. Don't think Kelly has been playing for Birmingham as he recently got loaned to Stoke for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Is Andrews not a risk to start having never played a competitive international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

anladmór wrote: »
    KO 10am tommorow des.

thanks friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Anyone questioning O'Shea's inclusion is mad. Fair enough he's a rotation/utility player at United, but we're hardly going to replace him with a player only doing ok in the Championship. Don't forget, he's played an awful lot of those games that have led to Van Der Saar setting that clean sheet record.
    anladmór wrote: »
    the team is ok on paper but nothing that good.

Shay Given - Manchester City
    Paul McShane – Sunderland (subject to fitness)
    John O'Shea - Manchester United
    Richard Dunne - Manchester City
    Kevin Kilbane - Hull City
    Aiden McGeady - Glasgow Celtic
    Glenn Whelan - Stoke City
    Keith Andrews - Blackburn Rovers
    Damien Duff - Newcastle United
    Kevin Doyle - Reading
    Robbie Keane – Tottenham Hotspurs
    Is it a given that Trap intends on playing McShane at centre back and O'Shea at right back, or could he swap them over?

Considering the squad we have, I have no quibble with that team selection. Hopefully the two Hunt's will probably make an appearance with about 20 minutes to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anyone questioning O'Shea's inclusion is mad. Fair enough he's a rotation/utility player at United, but we're hardly going to replace him with a player only doing ok in the Championship. Don't forget, he's played an awful lot of those games that have led to Van Der Saar setting that clean sheet record.

I don't think anyone questioned O'Shea inclusion on this thread. There was questions of whether moving him to midfield would suit the team better tomorrow.
    Is it a given that Trap intends on playing McShane at centre back and O'Shea at right back, or could he swap them over? Considering the squad we have, I have no quibble with that team selection. Hopefully the two Hunt's will probably make an appearance with about 20 minutes to go.

O'Shea will be at Center back, with McShane at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

redout wrote: »

well since Gibson has what 2-3 caps and played only a handful of minutes in the Carling Cup lately and Andrews has started the last 15 games in a row for Blackburn i'd be happy having him in there. Gibson may well be a better player in the long run but he just hasnt played enough games at 1st team level as yet.

Will be interesting to see if Kelly will get the nod for McShane if the injury doesnt clear up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What's up with S Reid atm? Thought he was back to fitness. Also what about the hunt bros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

absolutly, I kind of feal a disaster is waiting to happen , with him and Whelan , in the controls , when Ireland and Reid are eligible !! - We just aren't big eneogh to discard such quality - this could come back to haunt Trap ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I'm happy enough with that team, glad Trap has gone with Andrews over Gibson.

obv wouldn't even have McShane cleaning the toilets in Croker tomorrow though... hopefully he fails the fitness test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Would prefer to see Kelly instead of McShane, but happy enough with everything else.

if we put that team out against any team with 2 pacy wingers the full backs would be ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An average team at best but one capable of claiming three points no doubt.

The back unit of Given, Dunne and O'Shea is excellent imo and I don't think we will leak goals centrally. Full back is obviously a problem position with McShane there but hopefully he is under worked.

The central midfield duo are ropey to say the least but any of the possible combinations was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

B*****s, was hoping Stephen Kelly would be first choice in ahead of McShane. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I fail to get excited with a midfield that consists of Whelan/Andrews or Gibson for that matter but I suppose when you look past S. Reid and Ireland there aint a whole hell of alot of choice.....the whole A. Reid/*Ireland* saga just leaves a sour taste for me, Reid has never pulled up any trees in the Irish team but when fit is surely worth a squad place at least and as for the other numpty?? well what a numpty!!!....

Having said that a win tomorrow will as good as cement 2nd spot at least! its a funny ol game :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

dogpile wrote: »

Having said that a win tomorrow will as good as cement 2nd spot at least! its a funny ol game :rolleyes:

I disagree. Even if we win tomorrow we're 7 points clear of Bulgaria, and them with a game in hand. We've yet to play either Italy or Bulgaria. To keep ahead of Bulgaria (and presumably then Montenegro) we've to win our remaining games against Cyprus, Montenegro, and Georgia, and then make sure we get at least 6 points from the matches against Bulgaria and Italy.

If we beat Georgia, the Bulgarians draw/lose against the Italians (depending on how realistic finishing first is) and we beat Bulgaria. Then I'll be a more confident.

Having said that a win tomorrow will as good as cement 2nd spot at least!
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. A win tomorrow, coupled with a win at home to Bulgaria (which is by no means a guarantee) would certainly put is in a very strong position, but there's still a long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Tom65 wrote: »
    I disagree. Even if we win tomorrow we're 7 points clear of Bulgaria, and them with a game in hand.

Ok swap positions for a moment... Bulgaria have 7pts from 9 and play Georgia at home tomorrow, Ireland have 3 pts from 9 have sacked their manager, have a moody striker who looks like he's not bothered and the evidence suggests they don't look like getting started in the group anytime soon.....reckon Bulgaria would be confident a win tomorrow would all but cement 2nd spot??

i think we will draw or get beaten by bulgaria. not that their better than us just the midfield isnt working and any sort of team will get a few goals against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If Whelan and Andrews start in the centre of midfield against Italy I will tear up my tickets in disgust as the Italians will walk the ball through them two. Maybe it will pay off tomorrow but that cant be a permanent fixture. I cant wait for Dunphy to discredit it before tommorow nights game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Wow, 9 pages and the match is still 21 hours from kickoff. Thats gotta be some kind of record :D

Decent squad named. It has all the experienced players like Given, Finnan, Duff and Keane, as well as all the regulars.

Looks like GT is going to play an attacking game with Keane, Duff, Long, Doyle and the Hunt brothers.

Should be a win alright. Not a runaway, though. Maybe 1-0, maybe 2-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

RodVelvet wrote: »
    Gibson was better than Anderson in the Derby match I think. ......... Think he's playing better stuff than Anderson at the moment.

Given that Anderson is the worst regularly playing player in the established top 4 in god knows how long it isnt something to get excited about :pac:

I read a column where some...eh....columnist.... claimed McShane had been doing decent at Hull?

this is why i love international football. ahhhh so nervous for tommorow. i like georgians as people, hopefully theres a few at the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Georgia missing a few players.

Kenia - Their motm and scorer against us.
    Salukvadze - A regular for the Russian champions
    Shashiashvili - Played every game this season for Sturm Graz.
    Mchedlidze - Only 18 and just moved on loan from Empoli (Serie B) to Palermo (Serie A) and scored for them against Genoa last week.

Should be a big help.

kenia looked really promising against us, good news he's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Kaladze (AC Milan) if I have the name right (I dont really follow Serie A) was looking a doubt, but was travelling anyway. Is he fit?
    this is why i love international football. ahhhh so nervous for tommorow

Indeed :) tbh I dont enjoy Ireland qualifiers on reflection (unless of course we run away with a lead, which last happened......eh....hmm) until they are actual over with 3 points, before that it is just 90 minutes of nerves :D Can never understand this whole club footy is more important jazz.

ye imo its(club football more meaningful than int.football) a load of nonsense. i agree, the qualifers can be really depressing actually, god damn swiss :( never felt as bad after the 0-0 at lansdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Whelan and Andrews start in the centre of midfield against Italy I will tear up my tickets in disgust as the Italians will walk the ball through them two. Maybe it will pay off tomorrow but that cant be a permanent fixture. I cant wait for Dunphy to discredit it before tommorow nights game.
    And who the hell are you going to put in there?

We cannot move O'Shea into midfield as we lose out badly at the back if we do. We have nobody any better than them for this game or indeed for the Italy game.

shane86 wrote: »
    Kaladze (AC Milan) if I have the name right (I dont really follow Serie A) was looking a doubt, but was travelling anyway. Is he fit?
    According to today's Times, yes he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Happy enough with team apart from McShane, he's a liability and will cost us goals in the long run, he looks so nervous on the ball! Good news with the Georgians missing players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

maybe its been mentioned but it looks to be the first time in a long while most of our players are playing in top leagues

Shay Given - 90mins with Manchester City
    Paul McShane –0 mins Sunderland, was injured
    John O'Shea - 90 mins with Manchester United
    Richard Dunne - suspended, but would have been 90 mins Manchester City
    Kevin Kilbane - 90 mins with Hull City
    Aiden McGeady - 90 mins with Glasgow Celtic
    Glenn Whelan - 90 mins with Stoke City
    Keith Andrews - 45 mins with Blackburn Rovers
    Damien Duff - 90 mins with Newcastle United
    Kevin Doyle - 75 mins with Reading
    Robbie Keane – 90 mins with Tottenham Hotspur

at least we have that in our favour, i remember we used to have most of the team on the bench and in the championship

event wrote: »
    maybe its been mentioned but it looks to be the first time in a long while most of our players are playing in top leagues

Shay Given - 90mins with Manchester City
    Paul McShane –0 mins Sunderland, was injured
    John O'Shea - 90 mins with Manchester United
    Richard Dunne - suspended, but would have been 90 mins Manchester City
    Kevin Kilbane - 90 mins with Hull City
    Aiden McGeady - 90 mins with Glasgow Celtic
    Glenn Whelan - 90 mins with Stoke City
    Keith Andrews - 45 mins with Blackburn Rovers
    Damien Duff - 90 mins with Newcastle United
    Kevin Doyle - 75 mins with Reading
    Robbie Keane – 90 mins with Tottenham Hotspur

at least we have that in our favour, i remember we used to have most of the team on the bench and in the championship

I don't think it would have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Andrews is an absolutely woeful footballer and nothing more than a hatchet man who should be playing in the lower leagues. Pure rubbish.

Anyway, I'll be at the game.
    redout wrote:
    Anyone going to the match lads ?

Upper tier - freezing my nads off no doubt.

I'd like to see Doyle get a goal or two. Haven't seen him with Reading much but know he's banging the goals in. He's been brilliant the last few games for Ireland too - absolutely worked his arse off for the team with his running and general hold up and link of play was very good.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Against Georgia? Would it? I doubt it to be honest. The lad's capable as he showed against the Czechs and although there is a question mark over his consistency, the same applys to all our centre backs at the moment.

Tbh, I don't think McShane is as bad as people think. He has been shocking at times in the Irish matches but to me it's down to his confidence being shot. Anytime he gets the ball the crowd start oohing and aahing and moaning if his pass goes astray.
    He plays like a guy who doesn't want the ball because he's afraid of people being on his back.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't think it would have been

i know you're a city fan, so you'd know more, but do you reckon he'd leave the captain out?

he hasnt been great lately, in fact much at all this season, but i still reckon he'll start for hughes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ok swap positions for a moment... Bulgaria have 7pts from 9 and play Georgia at home tomorrow, Ireland have 3 pts from 9 have sacked their manager, have a moody striker who looks like he's not bothered and the evidence suggests they don't look like getting started in the group anytime soon.....reckon Bulgaria would be confident a win tomorrow would all but cement 2nd spot??

Whatever about Bulgaria's position, when it comes to Ireland, I can never rule out the possibility they'll just self-destruct at the last moment. I think it stems from a childhood spent watching them fall at the last hurdle Euro 96 qualifers, followed by '98 World Cup, followed by Euro 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

i know you're a city fan, so you'd know more, but do you reckon he'd leave the captain out?

he hasnt been great lately, in fact much at all this season, but i still reckon he'll start for hughes

Rep Ireland v Georgia match thread cough

Slightly OT but I'll just answer quickly. Dunne shouldn't start right now ahead of Kompany and Onouha going on form. Hopefully though the addition of Given will help him turn things around.

Looking forward to see how he plays tonight seeing as he hasn't played in a number of weeks.

my post was about as relevant as yours

but relax, ill leave it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Think its relevant to the thread to be honest. Dunne has been unfit, suspended and off form slightly at club level this season... does have a baring on his international form imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to say, that City gace away far too many chances at home last week and were lucky not to concede IMO. If it hadn't been for Given etc

Nothing in that performance would have shut out Dunne IMO.

I worry slightly about his fitness for the game but clearly not enough to consider anyone else.

Advertisement