Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland - v - Georgia (WCQ) Group 8 - 11/02/09 MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Any word on McShane?

I think Kelly is more up to it. McShane is still riding on hopes he will re produce the MOTM he did vs the Czechs. If he had a stinker that night I honestly dont think he would get starts like he has.

The Georgians are fielding 2nd choice up front I think, and Given has been in top form even by his usual standard. Lets just hope Kaladze is playing through the pin and not up to his best down back.

Hoping we get two in in the first half to be relatively safe. Doyler opening with a header from a corner, cmon my son :) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

anyone know what time the box office opens for the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    anyone know what time the box office opens for the match?

Match Day Ticket Sales

Today, (Feb 11) match day, tickets for the Group 8 World Cup qualifier against Georgia in Croke Park (Kick off 19.45 hrs) will be available at the following locations:

1) GAA Ticket offices – Opposite Gills Pub. From 11.00am
    2) Ticketmaster Mobile Unit – North Circular. From 3.00pm
    3) Ticketmaster Mobile Unit – Bishops Palace, Drumcondra. From 5.00pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Match Day Ticket Sales

Today, (Feb 11) match day, tickets for the Group 8 World Cup qualifier against Georgia in Croke Park (Kick off 19.45 hrs) will be available at the following locations:

1) GAA Ticket offices – Opposite Gills Pub. From 11.00am
    2) Ticketmaster Mobile Unit – North Circular. From 3.00pm
    3) Ticketmaster Mobile Unit – Bishops Palace, Drumcondra. From 5.00pm

Anyone care to give directions to any of these? Think I might head to the match while I'm here. Also, if you were to book a ticket online this afternoon, would you collect them from the same place listed above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ticket sales are slow, and there is no hype to this game. I think this could be the most underwhelmed international of the decade.

However, if Ireland cannot take out a side as notoriously bad on the road as Georgia, then I suggest Trappatoni and his Starting 11 pack it in.

I expect no less than 2-0 to the Irish (and I was the only man who predicted (on the radio no lesss), that Ireland would get thumped in Cyprus in 2006)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Het-Field wrote: »
    Ticket sales are slow, and there is no hype to this game. I think this could be the most underwhelmed international of the decade.

However, if Ireland cannot take out a side as notoriously bad on the road as Georgia, then I suggest Trappatoni and his Starting 11 pack it in.

I expect no less than 2-0 to the Irish (and I was the only man who predicted (on the radio no lesss), that Ireland would get thumped in Cyprus in 2006)

After a relatively solid display in Germany in their game prior to that one-what exactly made you predict Cyprus would thrash us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

i take it rte are streaming this tonight. Have a feeling i might have a battle with Corrie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Pighead wrote: »
    Against Georgia? Would it? I doubt it to be honest. The lad's capable as he showed against the Czechs and although there is a question mark over his consistency, the same applys to all our centre backs at the moment.
    syngindub wrote: »
    i take it rte are streaming this tonight. Have a feeling i might have a battle with Corrie

Need to put the foot down, mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Slightly OT but I'll just answer quickly. Dunne shouldn't start right now ahead of Kompany and Onouha going on form. Hopefully though the addition of Given will help him turn things around.

Looking forward to see how he plays tonight seeing as he hasn't played in a number of weeks.

MAN CITY WERE WOEFUL IN DEFENCE, AND KOMPANY WAS CRAP AS WELL.

Dunne and Kompany centre back with Bridge and Onouha playing left and right back. thats what it should and will be.

Explain watching Corrie Sunday repeats is the exact same.

Watching highlights just doesnt have the same buzz, even if you have isolated yourself from knowing the score :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

noodler wrote: »
    After a relatively solid display in Germany in their game prior to that one-what exactly made you predict Cyprus would thrash us?

The massive crisis in confidence that Andy O Brien (and to a lesser extent Richard Dunne) was experiencing, Paddy Kenny's limited shot stpooing ability, John O Shea's and Steve Finnan lack of club playing time, Clinton Morrison's level of football.

I was also conscious of the performance Cyprus had put in against Ireland in Nicosia in 2005. Konstantinou and Okkas had dominated a far superior team, and had them under the cosh for ages. My view was that the Irish team had been significantly weakened since the 2005 clash, were poor against Chile and The Netherlands, and had not been truly tested by a German team in 3rd gear. Staunton was in the stands (weather that is a benefit or not is up for debate). These contributory factors gave rise for a belief that Ireland wouuld lose 2-0 (which is a thumping against a lowly ranked team). I never expected them to conceed 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm a bit worried about this match and that we might drop two points. I feel our central midfield is too weak. I just hope we can take the chances that fall our way. Here's hoping Keane finds his shooting boots for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Tonight we play a team who have very little. They are ranked 108 in the world, thats between El Salvador(107) and Sierra Leone(109).
    IMO, If we dont look like we can beat these fairly comfortably then i dont see how we can even dream about getting results against Bulgaria and Italy.
    Ofcourse Ireland never trash any team so il go for a 2-0 home win.
    COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

How bout she streams Corrie? There's not that many International matches that get shown, she gets to see Corrie everyday of the week it's on.

That's what I'll be saying anyways? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I first saw Keith Andrews play for Blackburn back in September and he was horrific. I seen him again in January and he was a different player.

I think a lot of you are in for a pleasant surprise tonight.

I admit that I wrote him off after seeing him last year, but to come from not making it at Championship level and end up playing in League two and take your chance in the Premier League and now starting for your country at 27 years of age, well all you can say is what an inspirational story. He will put belief back into footballers who have not had a great career that they can still make it to the top regardless of age.

Congratulations Keith Andrews and best of luck today on your first International start. You deserve every plaudit that comes your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

will this be streamed on rte? Crap tv doesnt even have rte...

joe123 wrote: »

looks like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i hope Andrews plays well, CM is a weak position at the moment. its amazing what getting his game at a PL team will do for his confidence.
    I am a bit nervous but we should be beating this team 3 or 4 nill.

I think we will all settle for 2-0 with Doyle and keane getting on the score sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone know of any radio stations broadcasting commentary for the match tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone know of any radio stations broadcasting commentary for the match tonight?

RTE1 mw/lw will have it, no doubt

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    RTE1 mw/lw will have it, no doubt

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Got my Reading 'Doyle 9' shirt out of the wardrobe for tonight, though it won't be getting much exposure in the cold tonight.

Praying for a decent win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ireland are up 8 places in the fifa world rankings so we should be able to beat georgia who sit at 108th. Bulgaria are at 26th.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=35827

Got my Reading 'Doyle 9' shirt out of the wardrobe for tonight, though it won't be getting much exposure in the cold tonight.

Praying for a decent win.

I was gonna break out my Newcastle jersey with Duff on the back of mine. Don't wanna get laughed out of the stadium though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That_Guy wrote: »
    I was gonna break out my Newcastle jersey with Duff on the back of mine. Don't wanna get laughed out of the stadium though. :)

Lol well I was gonna get one of my City shirts done especially with 'Ireland 7' but thought it best not to shit stir!

Lol well I was gonna get one of my City shirts done especially with 'Ireland 7' but thought it best not to shit stir!

oh god, i think we should bring sponsor the boardsie just for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!

GETTING EXCITED

C'MON LETS GET BEHIND THE CHOSEN TEAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Best of luck to Ireland tonight. Give them lots of it lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

So excited about this match! :o Hope Andrews works out well, as we really miss Reid (Stepehen!) in CM.

C'mon lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

joe123 wrote: »

Jesus age christ ! Where do live, even the down the sticks you should have it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Ireland are up 8 places in the fifa world rankings so we should be able to beat georgia who sit at 108th. Bulgaria are at 26th.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=35827

Now why did you have to go and jinx it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Went by Croker on the train about an hour ago, it seems the FAI have laid on the large green cards for everyone seated in the Singing Section only to hold up as the teams walk out. I personally won't be in the singing section unfortunately, but I can't help but feel that having a small section highlighted in green will only look crapper than having nobody at all holding up green cards!

Still though, the tension is beginning to mount, really looking forward to the game. I predict Ireland by 2 goals, with a few iffy moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I'm heading off to the match now. Hopefully Gibson and Whelan dont make a bollox of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Your defense looks weak. Dunne has been out of form all season, has McShane played any top-level football? Whelan and Andrews in center mid? Seriously?

I hope your attack is up to the task because I don't forsee a shut-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Des wrote: »
    Oh, Glenn Whelan I take it, has he broken into their team then?

Andrews, is he getting a game?

Yes

Yes

Looking forward to this one. Hope we get a result and that robbie bags himself a cúpla goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

GuanYin wrote: »
    Your defense looks weak. Dunne has been out of form all season, has McShane played any top-level football? Whelan and Andrews in center mid? Seriously?

McShane was playing regularily for Hull when on loan there, only a few sub appearances since going back to Sunderland.

Andrews made 15 premiership starts or thereabouts, he is progressing at the level, but still not nearly good enough.

I still think we have enough to win by 2 or 3 , so im going with 3-0 and Given to be the main part in keeping it 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Draupnir wrote: »
    Went by Croker on the train about an hour ago, it seems the FAI have laid on the large green cards for everyone seated in the Singing Section only to hold up as the teams walk out. I personally won't be in the singing section unfortunately, but I can't help but feel that having a small section highlighted in green will only look crapper than having nobody at all holding up green cards!

Still though, the tension is beginning to mount, really looking forward to the game. I predict Ireland by 2 goals, with a few iffy moments.

They are t shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ireland to win 2-0 and go joint top.

JOHN O'SHEA !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kelly in for McShane. Yay! I really like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it will be 2-1. We need our strikers to be on form. I reckon they will be.

Come on Ireland!

• Advertisement

Kelly in for McShane. Yay! I really like him.

Brilliant :) Hope he puts in a performance that banishes McShambles to the bench until he gets his act together.

Have a tenner at 16-1 Robbie first scorer end result 2-0. Not impossible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

GuanYin wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. I know it's "only" Georgia we're up against but I'll be surprised if Ireland keep a clean sheet this evening. Dunne has only played 50 odd minutes in 2009 and lets face it even when he was playing he was way out of form. It's usually Dunne who gets his fellow central defender out of trouble but the way he's playing that won't be the case this evening.

Having said all that I still think we may nick it, the key will be feeding both wings regularly all evening long. I'm thinking 2-1 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Kelly in for McShane.
    ... and a rush to the bookies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Happy to see Kelly get a start at RB tonight considering the opposition we are up against and how they have only named 6 of the side that we faced in Germany im quite confident that the back for of Kelly, Dunne, O'Shea and Kilbane can keep a clean sheet especially when you consider how traps CM's play in a defensive manner. Add to that the attacking options of Duff, Keane, McGeady and Doyle and Ill predict Ireland to win 2-0 in a game im fairly confident about. However id be the first to admit the same side vs Italy would inspire very little confidence in a victory for us.

anyone have a decent stream for outside Ireland (i.e non RTE)

skysports have it on Bounty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

anyone have a decent stream for outside Ireland (i.e non RTE)

Would also be very appreciative of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pighead wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I know it's "only" Georgia we're up against but I'll be surprised if Ireland keep a clean sheet this evening. Dunne has only played 50 odd minutes in 2009 and lets face it even when he was playing he was way out of form. It's usually Dunne who gets his fellow central defender out of trouble but the way he's playing that won't be the case this evening.

Having said all that I still think we may nick it, the key will be feeding both wings regularly all evening long. I'm thinking 2-1 Ireland.

You broke character.....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I'll go 3-1 to Ireland, with a late goal glossing the scoreline. Ireland to take an early lead, Georgia to equalise just after half-time, with Ireland retaking the lead a short time later, before 20 minutes of the usual sh1te of sitting on a lead with the opposition camped in our half and having several great chances, before a late goal (injury time) from a sub to seal the win.

Anyone think Dunphy is a bit jarred?:D

Piggy does it all of the time. Thanx does not like to point it out every time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

3-1

JOS hat trick

• Advertisement
Advertisement