Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland - v - Georgia (WCQ) Group 8 - 11/02/09 MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I don't think the goal should have been ruled out. It's not like Doyle was intentionally trying to block the keeper's line of vision. If intention is needed for a handball decision then I think the same should apply with regards to situations with players in front of play.

Every other Irish player managed to run back to an onside position except Doyle who jogged back and was in an offside position in front of the keeper when the ball was struck.

A handball is much easier to be done inadvertently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

bunch of useless green w*nkers.

Somebody tell McGeady to f-off back to Scotchland at half-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Can see the headlines tomorrow.
    "Kelly had Georgia on his mind"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Lads, for the last time.

The call was correct - there's no issue with Doyle, or any other player blocking the 'keepers line of vision. That is OK, as long as it is done within the rules of the game.

Doyle was involved with the play, from an offside position, ergo, it's offside, and goal disallowed.

Wasn't a peno either - Doyle was only kidding himself.

Final ball again from McGeady very poor. He's wasted quite a few not beating the first man. That was a great run, good shot, pity Duff and Keane got in each other's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i didn't think there was too much weight on that ball at all robbie not sharp enough tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Sorry to any boardsies who are there tonight but SINGING SECTION = CRAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ahh Duff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Pigman II wrote: »
    bunch of useless green w*nkers.

Somebody tell McGeady to f-off back to Scotchland at half-time.

What a run there from McGeady. He must have been on his way back to Scottyland eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

juvenal wrote: »
    Lads, for the last time.

The call was correct - there's no issue with Doyle, or any other player blocking the 'keepers line of vision. That is OK, as long as it is done within the rules of the game.

Doyle was involved with the play, from an offside position, ergo, it's offside, and goal disallowed.

Final ball again from McGeady very poor. He's wasted quite a few not beating the first man.

i don't see how doyle was involved.

The ball hit the defender, on the right side and doyle was on the left side of the defender. He was not in the line of sight on the ball either as he was left of the defender, and the ball was hit from the defenders right side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ahh Duff!

don't you mean ahh keane?

• Advertisement

Great save by Given, a better chance than we've had all half.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

good stop by given

ahh them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I've still yet to figure out what Glen Whelan can do good at football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

bring on andy reid

ahhhhhhh wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Every other Irish player managed to run back to an onside position except Doyle who jogged back and was in an offside position in front of the keeper when the ball was struck.

A handball is much easier to be done inadvertently.

A bit of common sense is needed. I don't see how Doyle did anything wrong yet he has been penalised.

The ball hit the defender, on the right side and doyle was on the left side of the defender. He was not in the line of sight on the ball either as he was left of the defender, and the ball was hit from the defenders right side.

I agree. Some people seem to think Doyle should have run towards the corner flag or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

keane and doyle are shocking up front.
    great save shay,
    anything less than three points here is a disaster

I meant when Duff was on the ball and tried to control it. Ended in a goal kick.

keane and doyle are shocking up front.
    great save shay,
    anything less than three points here is a disaster

i thought Doyle was our best player.

why do they keep blaming the pace of the ball

have they never watched real pro's pass at pace with the recieving player controlling it?

christ all mighty we're just not good enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Half-time talk is crucial. If we can win this game then we'll qualify. Anything else then you can go back to your knitting. Reminds me of Luxembourg 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

ntlbell wrote: »
    why do they keep blaming the pace of the ball

We need to blame something!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Here's eamo!! This should be good.

And I suppose the linesman is supposed to have the 3-dimensional depth perception to know from thirty-odd yards whether Doyle was in the line of sight of the 'keeper, or whether he was a couple of yards out of the way.

Ask yourselves this, if it was at the other end, would you have called it a fair goal?

There's nothing worse than partisan fans, who can't apply the rules of the game as they are intended, as opposed to applying them when it suits your team.

I want Ireland to win as much as anyone else, but I've no problems with that goal being disallowed - as much as I'd have taken it if they'd allowed it as well!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know it's early days but every Irish team over the decades has had it's bellyup match / bad refereeing decision go against them , resulting in not qualifying for a major campaign .I hope this isin't the case tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Watching Ireland games always depresses me.

/What's with the boos? Idiots.

We need to blame something!:)

i blame the singing section tbh if they were at it from the off kelly wouldn't have been asleep

i wonder will Dunphy mention Andy Reid??

cant wait for eamo

boos translate to ="WHERES ANDY REID"

• Advertisement

Half-time talk is crucial. If we can win this game then we'll qualify. Anything else then we're fcuked. Reminds me of Luxembourg 1987

pity we don't have the quality we had then. Imagine the difference that Whelan would make instead of our Whelan now.

A bit of common sense is needed. I don't see how Doyle did anything wrong yet he has been penalised.

I agree. Some people seem to think Doyle should have run towards the corner flag or something.

I think Doyle should've made more of an effort to get onside.

The issue is not just line-of-sight, it's the offside position, which takes precedence in this case. If he were offside on the sideline, then it would not be an issue, as he would not be in close proximity to the passage of play. However, he was right there, so his offside is an issue.

Having said that, he's been one of our best players in that half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

And I suppose the linesman is supposed to have the 3-dimensional depth perception to know from thirty-odd yards whether Doyle was in the line of sight of the 'keeper, or whether he was a couple of yards out of the way.

No perhaps not the linesman but maybe that other bloke who has a fair bit of responsibility? Who can overrule the linesman? Wears yellow?
    juvenal wrote:
    Ask yourselves this, if it was at the other end, would you have called it a fair goal?

Yes and I'd say we were bloody lucky not to be behind as I imagine Georgians are doing.
    juvenal wrote:
    There's nothing worse than partisan fans, who can't apply the rules of the game as they are intended, as opposed to applying them when it suits your team.

I wan't Ireland to win as much as anyone else, but I've no problems with that goal being disallowed - as much as I'd have taken it if they'd allowed it as well!:D

What bollocks. Here's what the BBC's Jonathan Stevenson had to say:
    2014: Keith Andrews wheels away, celebrating an equaliser for the Republic of Ireland - until a linesman's errant flag goes up and it's wrongly ruled out. Andrews side-foot shot from 20 yards sneaks into the corner via a slight deflection off a Georgia player, but Kevin Doyle is adjudged offside. He isn't, and it's a poor decision.

Nothing worse than fans who steadfastly stick to the laws of the game even when the law is clearly an ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wan't Ireland to win as much as anyone else, but I've no problems with that goal being disallowed - as much as I'd have taken it if they'd allowed it as well!:D

The call is not the lino's to make at the end of the day. The ref was on the pitch too and would have had a better angle with which to see Doyle was not interfering and thus could have over-ruled the call of the lino, as he is perfectly entitled to do. If the goal had been allowed, it would have been a fair call. It was a tough decision for the lino (who was prob right in raising his flag at least) but that doesn't change the fact i do not think it was technically correct.

syngindub wrote: »
    i wonder will Dunphy mention Andy Reid??

Well it is crying out for him.

I'd imagine S Hunt will come on soon enough. But who else? N Hunt? Keogh?

• Advertisement

Well it is crying out for him.

I'd imagine S Hunt will come on soon enough. But who else? N Hunt? Keogh?
    ye, like to see hunt coming on but will he offer us more than Duff or McGeedy, i'm not sure. we do need some change though

syngindub wrote: »
    ye, like to see hunt coming on but will he offer us more than Duff or McGeedy, i'm not sure. we do need some change though

I'd give them another 15 minutes. His crossing is better than McGeady's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Of course Andy Reid is gonna be mentioned and rightly so. This shows up the one dimensional thinking of Traps. "Oh but Traps likes to have 2 solid holding midfielders so there's no point in having Reid in the squad" Load of bollox. Managers should be flexible in their systems and should have a squad capable of adjusting to any particular situation that may crop up. The situation now is that Ireland need a creative midfielder to get back into this game and because of Traps stubborness our bench doesn't have one. Ridiculous.

I'd give them another 15 minutes. His crossing is better than McGeady's.
    crossing is better and he releases the ball much earlier alright. Mcgeedy has the ability to open things up and perhaps create more chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

when he jumped he made it look like a dummy.. especially from the linesmans view.. it's a stinker but we'll have to get over it.. can hardly slate the officials

• Advertisement

analysis has been good @ ht

aint mentioned reid yet tho

It's true. Back in the day we could steal the likes of Ray Houghtan. Now all your giving us these days are these indiciplined donkeys.

If anything you should be thanking us from taking him off your hands. Couldn't see Scotchland getting as close as they did to Euro2008 with that useless tosser in the XI.

I think that's a little harsh. His crossing has been poor, but he's broken well a couple of times and he's working his socks off.

Looking at the replay there in real time, I initially thought Doyle flicked the ball past the 'keeper. If you look at it in real time, then you can see Doyle do a little jump (obviously out of the way), but it looked like he made contact given the amount of bodies in the vicinity.

Obviously on reflection, it was the defender that deflected, and not Doyle. However, I would still say that he is involved in he play, due to his presence, rather than actual contact.

They made a split-second decision, and I personally don't have a problem with it. I can see both sides of the argument, but IMO they made a call that wasn't wrong, while perhaps not 100% absolutely right. As they said on RTÉ, some nights they go your way, yet this one didn't.

It was hardly robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

nuxxx wrote: »

He has being mentioned on radio a bit .

I take that back, Keane was at fault not Duff.

Ahh Keane!

they must have been warned off it :D

don't worry, he's saving up this rant based on the result. I'm sure he's touching it up as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whatever about the performance in the first half, booing the team off is disgraceful. Shocking from the 'fans'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Pighead wrote: »
    Of course Andy Reid is gonna be mentioned and rightly so. This shows up the one dimensional thinking of Traps. "Oh but Traps likes to have 2 solid holding midfielders so there's no point in having Reid in the squad" Load of bollox. Managers should be flexible in their systems and should have a squad capable of adjusting to any particular situation that may crop up. The situation now is that Ireland need a creative midfielder to get back into this game and because of Traps stubborness our bench doesn't have one. Ridiculous.

Frustrating isn't it. Can see us maybe getting one, prob is can't see us creating enough chances to get two.

Reid was mentioned! Along with Carsley.

• Advertisement
Advertisement