Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scolari Sacked

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I dread to think what scolari might have done to chelsea had he had a full season in charge, he's taken the club backwards faster than I would have thought possible, though kenyon has to answer for his part in all this farce: not keeping Jose and Clarke in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Allardyce
    Grant
    Schuster
    Ince
    Scolari

homer-simpson-5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

redout wrote: »
    Boggles, giving a manager just 104 days in a job is borderline insane in my opinion. I understand your point about him having bad results but the board were just insane to appoont him first of all then at the first sign of trouble out on your ear ! I dont agree with that approach at all. How about the guys who appointed him be dumped out also ? Seems fair to me.

But surely it is better to admit they made a mistake and try rectify it while there is still time.

You firmly believe Adams appointment was wrong, why would you want the appointment to remain if you feel it was "insane"?? Out of principle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Been away all day and only found out via the BBC website just now. What a stupid decision. No patience at all. Who next I wonder? I don't think Abramovich would have any qualms whatsoever about putting a bid in for Fabio Capello. It may very well happen. Capello dumps national team in favour of a return to club management. Stranger things have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

DenMan wrote: »
    Been away all day and only found out via the BBC website just now. What a stupid decision. No patience at all. Who next I wonder? I don't think Abramovich would have any qualms whatsoever about putting a bid in for Fabio Capello. It may very well happen. Capello dumps national team in favour of a return to club management. Stranger things have happened.

Do Chelsea REALLY wanna rub the FA up the wrong way that much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DSB wrote: »
    Do Chelsea REALLY wanna rub the FA up the wrong way that much?

they tried it with sven before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Boggles wrote: »
    But surely it is better to admit they made a mistake and try rectify it while there is still time.

No, Abramovich owns the place so they can't get rid of him :D

Seriously though, not only do you have to succeed at Chelsea but you have to succeed immediately - Joke!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Chelsea are a joke and are fast becoming another Real Madrid - win everything in sight or the manager is sacked.
    The board said the team were deteriorating at a critical time in the season. So what do they do? Sack the manager and make the team more unstable. Stupid.
    Ye, so Chelsea haven't been getting the results they need recently but that doesn't justify sacking him. If that was the case Ferguson should have been out of a job after the first handful of games of the season. Chelsea are still in the Champion's League, are near the top of the league and are in still in a domestic cup. So what have they actually lost out on so far? Out of a domestic cup and ye fine it looks like they won't win the league. Which boils down to "win the league, or you're out."
    Avram grant had a shaky start when he took over from Mourinho but eventually did a terrific job. He ran United to the wire and got the Champion's League final. He was treated like dirt and if he is offered the job again he'd need his head examined to take it. The money is on Hiddink for me - he was a shoe in for it after Mourinho but said he wouldn't leave Russia in the lurch at the time.
    The way Grant was fired last year set Chelsea on the same road as Madrid - a team who sack their manager right after winning the league because they didn't win the Champion's League too. Sacking Scolari because it looks like he's out of the race to the league just pushed Chelsea further along the track to a Madrid-like destination.

For once, I completely agree with you.

+1.

Sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

You firmly believe Adams appointment was wrong, why would you want the appointment to remain if you feel it was "insane"?? Out of principle?

Because the board should live by their decisions. They decided to appoint him. Lets by realistic here, he didnt bring them into the bottom three. They are sitting 16th one point above but the psychological difference it makes not being in the bottom three even if it only by a point is significant. In fairness Boggles we cant say the guy would have got Pompey relegated. If every manager who went on a bad run of games was to be sacked what state would the league be in ? Should Southgate and Mowbray also be sacked ? If the board appointed him then they should have stuck by him and given him a chance which they did not do. That is bollox in my opinion. It sends out the wrong message that the club will be willing the sack every manager from now on in no time at all. Go on a bad run and your out the door ! Who would want a job at a club like that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,264 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The fact is that they did give him the job. To then sack him after 100 odd
    days is just a waste of money and this years league for them. 100% of managers fired in a season will be unsuccessful in that season. If you do hire him then give him a chance. They could have hired *anyone* and they would have had the same results as Adams did.

I think the league needs to step in at this point and start docking points for sacking managers mid season. Works in Fantasy Football!

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »

I think the league needs to step in at this point and start docking points for sacking managers mid season. Works in Fantasy Football!

I would agree with something along those lines. Maybe not a point deduction but something like a hefty fine and do it twice in a season then get docked points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

From what I heard on Sky Big Phil he had to go.

1. He fell out to with a good few players, even fell out with Ricardo cause he didn't agree with the zonal marking.

2. The players wanted him to change to 4-4-2 too he refused.

3. The players found training boring and didn't agree with his methods.

IMO when the going got tough some players didn't roll up their sleeves, The Liverpool game at the bridge wasn't just a blip it was the first sign that there were cracks and the 3-1 loss to Roma Epitomised this.

So where did it all go wrong? well I could see what he was trying to do and did work for a couple of months. the pass and move was brilliant against Pompey and Villa, but this disguised the problems behind the scenes.
    Perhaps he didn't have the proper personnel to fit the system he wanted. Certain players should be looking in the mirror at themselves, the likes of Drogba Bosingwa Deco Anelka Malouda, who are performing well below their potential, well Malouda has never performed. :)

I hope they club take their time appointing a successor, the fans want Zola and Clarke, but I think its too soon for Zola personally, though he's doing a fantastic job at The Hammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

redout wrote: »
    I would agree with something along those lines. Maybe not a point deduction but something like a hefty fine and do it twice in a season then get docked points.

dude are you for real. docked points for changin managers. wake up and smell that football is business and just like business immediate results are the minimum expectation. whatever about what happened today but you should be perfectly entitled to change manager as much as you like. its not good for your club but they should be allowed.

To dock points is ridiculous, next you'll be saying offer extra points for scoring more goals.off the field is off the field and on the field is where points come from simple as. they should never be mingled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

smuckers wrote: »
    From what I heard on Sky Big Phil he had to go.

1. He fell out to with a good few players, even fell out with Ricardo cause he didn't agree with the zonal marking.

2. The players wanted him to change to 4-4-2 too he refused.

3. The players found training boring and didn't agree with his methods.

IMO when the going got tough some players didn't roll up their sleeves, The Liverpool game at the bridge wasn't just a blip it was the first sign that there were cracks and the 3-1 loss to Roma Epitomised this.

So where did it all go wrong? well I could see what he was trying to do and did work for a couple of months. the pass and move was brilliant against Pompey and Villa, but this disguised the problems behind the scenes.
    Perhaps he didn't have the proper personnel to fit the system he wanted. Certain players should be looking in the mirror at themselves, the likes of Drogba Bosingwa Deco Anelka Malouda, who are performing well below their potential, well Malouda has never performed. :)

I hope they club take their time appointing a successor, the fans want Zola and Clarke, but I think its too soon for Zola personally, though he's doing a fantastic job at The Hammers.

There's your problem right there...Chelsea players are running the show.

Whether they are right or wrong is not the point. Manager is the only who runs the show as responsibility lies with him.

Chelsea are going to be a circus until either a) a strong enough manager comes in who can get control of the players or b) there's an exodus of the players who control the dressing room.

With a dearth of high quality managers available who are also disiplinarians, it might end up having to be the latter, although I doubt the board would ever stomach such a move..

dont forget the quotes mate

we all dont have fast broadband
    For all the very real evidence of discontent that has filtered out from Chelsea’s inner sanctum in the past few months, it seems that Luiz Felipe Scolari’s crime was to lose the boardroom rather than the dressing-room. Many of Chelsea’s senior players were shocked and saddened when told of their manager’s departure after training with their international teams yesterday afternoon, with John Terry and Frank Lampard acting as the messengers of doom after they had been informed of the latest twist in the life of this most turbulent of clubs by a personal telephone call from Roman Abramovich, the owner.

Despite having reservations, Terry and Lampard both felt that Scolari was capable of turning things around and should have been given more time, but unfortunately for the Brazilian such a view was not universally held by their team-mates, a worrying state of affairs that highlights his biggest failing at Stamford Bridge. Over the course of the past 18 months the best team spirit in the Premier League instilled by José Mourinho has declined to such an alarming extent that several players have begun openly questioning the authority of the manager and the contributions of some of their colleagues.

It has not quite descended into a state of civil war, but even from the outside the tensions are obvious. In essence Chelsea’s players are divided in two, between those who play for the club and the fans, such as Terry and Lampard, and those who have developed the bad habit of playing for themselves.

In this context it is understood that several of the club’s foreign players have been to see senior boardroom figures in the past few weeks to complain about Scolari’s methods and are not displeased by his departure. While there is no suggestion that Abramovich bowed to this latest outbreak of player-power, with the fear of failing to qualify for the Champions League, the decisive factor behind his decision, such scheming does illustrate some of the problems that will face Scolari’s successor. There can be few dressing-rooms containing such a powerful cocktail of ego, earning power and sheer stubbornness as that at Chelsea.

Scolari is believed to have retained the backing of the majority of his players, although, crucially, their support was based largely on admiration for his qualities as a man rather than a manager. The 60-year-old won the squad over with his affable personality and vision of free-flowing football last summer, but as the season has developed doubts began to emerge over his coaching capabilities.

In addition to the well-documented complaints regarding his training sessions — dismissed as lacking intensity and focus, with a series of five-a-sides taking precedence over proper skills work — Scolari’s tactical acumen was also questioned, particularly when it became clear that he struggled to alter the course of matches that were not going Chelsea’s way. Ultimately he paid the price for failing to live up to the exacting standards set by Mourinho. Although he will not say so, especially with a £7.5 million payoff in the bag, Scolari is also understood to have felt let down by several of his players.

Lampard is the only one to have consistently produced his best form this season, with even hitherto reliable performers such as Petr Cech and Ricardo Carvalho suffering from a drop in form. Many of the players have been quick to blame the manager for the team’s travails rather than address their own shortcomings, but although this evasion of responsibility reflects badly on the individuals concerned it does not do much for the reputation of the manager either.

By failing to keep them all engaged, focused and united, it appears that Scolari lost the dressing-room after all, even if they didn’t realise it at the time.

oops sorry dude

oops sorry dude

good find thou

its a good read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Melion wrote: »
    Steve Clarke for the job?

I'm sure Chelsea can do a lot better than settling for a bloke with nothing more than assistant manager experience. It's not like they're Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,264 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Iang87 wrote: »
    dude are you for real. docked points for changin managers. wake up and smell that football is business and just like business immediate results are the minimum expectation. whatever about what happened today but you should be perfectly entitled to change manager as much as you like. its not good for your club but they should be allowed.
    Its a business that depends on its customers/fans to survive and has massive competition. Also, shouldnt clubs be allowed to change players when they like? So why are there player transfer windows? Perhaps is for the good of the game...
    Iang87 wrote: »
    To dock points is ridiculous, next you'll be saying offer extra points for scoring more goals.off the field is off the field and on the field is where points come from simple as. they should never be mingled

In rugby the have recently introduced bonus points for scoring 4 or more tries. Keeps the game interesting for longer..think of a title race when you could bonus points coming into play.
    Also, clubs get fined points for illegal transfers and also for going broke. Where do you draw the line?

• Advertisement

Abramovich axed Big Phil

Spokesman claims Russian owner took decision

By Graeme Bailey Last updated: 9th February 2009

Scolari: Claims

It seems that Abramovich made the decision.

Roman Abramovich took the decision to sack Luiz Felipe Scolari, according to the Brazilian's spokesman.

Scolari was dismissed by The Blues on Monday after a poor run of form, although the decision still took many by surprise.

Acaz Fellegger - Scolari's spokesman - has now insisted that the decision was made personally by Chelsea owner Abramovich, stating that his client still had the support of chief executive Peter Kenyon.

"It seems that Abramovich made the decision," Fellegger told newspaper Lance.

"He (Scolari) was not in a comfortable situation despite having the support of the squad and Peter Kenyon.

"The Chelsea squad are old. Felipe tried to rejuvenate it, but unsuccessfully.

"He asked (the board) to sign Deco and Robinho, but they only brought Deco."

Fellegger also insisted that the language barrier was never an issue for Scolari.

"The English language has never been an issue for him as he has given many interviews in English," he said.

Scolari to talk soon
    Scolari also issued a statement via Fellegger's website confirming that he would soon be talking to the media, but until that point he wanted to wish Chelsea all the best.

"I wish luck to Chelsea in the three competitions they are involved in," he said.

"I also take this opportunity to confirm that I will keep living in London and I will respond to the media soon."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4908383,00.html

Sacked Boss Scolari May Get £15m
    12:09am UK, Tuesday February 10, 2009

Luiz Felipe Scolari may pocket up to £15m in compensation after being sacked by Chelsea football club.

He was dismissed just seven months into a three-year contract thought to be worth £6.25m a year.

The Brazilian was dismissed with immediate effect, and Chelsea are now seeking their fourth manager in less than 17 months.

With Scolari following Avram Grant and Jose Mourinho out of the club, it could reportedly take the total paid to sacked coaches during that time to £40m.

Scolari is the eighth Premier League manager to leave this season after Tony Adams was fired by Portsmouth.

The Brazilian has told of his regrets after being sacked, saying: "It was a very valuable experience. I am sorry that my time with everyone could not last longer.

"I wish Chelsea luck in the three competitions it is participating in. I want to take the opportunity to inform that I will keep living in London."

The club said in a statement: "Unfortunately the results and performances of the team appeared to be deteriorating at a key time in the season.

"In order to maintain a challenge for the trophies we are still competing for we felt the only option was to make the change now."

Chelsea are fourth in the Premier League, seven points behind Manchester United, after a disappointing 0-0 draw against Hull.

During Saturday's game, some fans chanted, "You don't know what you're doing!" when Scolari made substitutions, and the team was booed off at the end.

Sky News sports presenter Jon Desborough said: "This comes after the weekend when a lot of commentators pretty much ruled Arsenal and Chelsea out of the race for the title.

"He wasn't unpopular with the dressing room but the difficulty is that ever since Jose Mourinho left Chelsea, the team have never had a manager that they believed in."

Assistant Ray Wilkins will take charge of the team on an interim basis.

He declined to give an interview when contacted by Sky News, but said: "My thoughts are very much on the training ground."

Guus Hiddink and Avram Grant are already being talked about as potential replacements, with Gianfranco Zola - now at West Ham - also linked to the post.

Former Chelsea player Ron 'Chopper' Harris said: "Obviously the results haven't gone too well recently for Chelsea and nothing surprises in football today.

"If the supporters had their way, then maybe Zola and Steve Clarke, or Jose Mourinho (would replace him) - that would be the favourite choice of 95% of the supporters."

Scolari was appointed in June, replacing Avram Grant

This is fuking nuts if true. £15 Million to Scolari and £40 Million to compensate the three (Grant, Mourinho, Scolari). Chelsea are turning into Real Madrid I tell ya. Big Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I had said from the start his appointment would end in tears but to sack him less then 1 season into the job is pathetic and a sign of the type of club Chelsea have become, 3 managers in less then 15 months is not exactly the good base to build success on is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

If Scolari came out and said he plans to stay in London, and ex-players are saying the Zola-Clarke combo is a cert.. then it looks pretty clear that Chelsea & West Ham are gonna trade managers for the remainder of the season IMO!

Its conjecture but what d'ya think anyway? Why else would Scolari make the point of saying London :confused:

Also, in relation to the excellent posts above about player power... Do ye reckon Zola can control the dressing room? The advantage is that Clarke knows most of 'em already, and they were quick eneough in getting a shambolic Hammers team to believe in themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hiddink is in talks with Chelsea, told ye so :D

That'll do.. could've been worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Apparently Frank Rijkaard is interested in the job. I'm surprised that Franco Baresi has not been mentioned yet. I would put him as a candidate and favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Craft25 wrote: »
    Also, in relation to the excellent posts above about player power... Do ye reckon Zola can control the dressing room?

I said at the time that getting rid of Steve Clarke was a tragic mistake by Chelsea. The man was liked, well respected by the players and above all a dam good defensive coach. Look at the differing fortunes of Chelsea and West Ham. Its no coincidence.

Regarding Zola, while I think he will one day become a top class coach I think this job is too early for him. I hope he doesn't get sucked in and jump ship. I would love to see him back at the bridge as manager but not yet. He should stay where he is for a couple of seasons and go through the motion of constructing and progressing a team before taking on something like the champions league and such like.

iregk wrote: »
    I said at the time that getting rid of Steve Clarke was a tragic mistake by Chelsea.

Was it not Clarke that jumped ship on Chelsea?

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    I said at the time that getting rid of Steve Clarke was a tragic mistake by Chelsea. The man was liked, well respected by the players and above all a dam good defensive coach. Look at the differing fortunes of Chelsea and West Ham. Its no coincidence.

obviously we had no choice, he musn't have liked what he seen under Scolari and decided to get out of there. Rather than a mistake it was the first major sign that something was rotten in the state of denmark. I dont think he'd have stayed for any money working for a boss he didn't believe in.

Craft25 wrote: »
    obviously we had no choice, he musn't have liked what he seen under Scolari and decided to get out of there. Rather than a mistake it was the first major sign that something was rotten in the state of denmark. I dont think he'd have stayed for any money working for a boss he didn't believe in.

He stayed under Grant whom more or less downgraded his job, I think it was more of the pull from his good friend Zola that pried him away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Scolari deserved to go. He brought f**k all to the PL so I say good riddance to him.

At least when Mourinho produced that ****e football he won trophies and had a bit of charisma. Scolari has just proved that he is not even in the same league as managers as Ferguson, Clough, Paisley, Busby etc. World Cup my arse, he had a great team against a load of ****e. England gave them their toughest game ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Chelsea were in freefall under Scolari ... he even made Grant look good

Advertisement