Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allow a website on one server have write access to a database on another server?

Options
  • 09-02-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have two servers.

I user server_1 as my main server.

I have a script on server_2 which needs write access to a database on server_1.

Am I right in thinking I need to update a file (hosts?) on server_1 to allow server_2 access the database?

If so, which exact file do I need to update, and with what?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You'll need to be way more specific.

MySQL & other database software are designed to be able to access remotely. It may just work, but you'll need to talk to you hosting company to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shouldn't need any special files. What type of database is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Server 2 db should have own login details. Server 1 script should log into db using said credentials. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Sorry guys, it's MySQL.

Yeah, my initial thoughts were I should just be able to give the server name, username and password in the db connect function, but someone has told me this won't work...?

i.e. in the script on server_2:

// pseudocode
    db_connect(server_1, database, username, password)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Sorry guys, it's MySQL.

Yeah, my initial thoughts were I should just be able to give the server name, username and password in the db connect function, but someone has told me this won't work...?
    Unless there are specific reasons it won't, it should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sorry guys, it's MySQL.

i.e. in the script on server_2:

// pseudocode
    db_connect(server_1, database, username, password)

SOME hosts will have remote calls disabled for security purposes, or a specific list of allowed hosts, but for the most part the above is perfectly acceptable.

In fact, where hosting is properly optimised (database server optimised one way, PHP server optimised another) the above is probably done on most sites.

I know the specifics of particular "hosts" aren't discussed on this forum, so I need to mask this example, but I know of at least one setup where the above is the norm, where the databases are on sql.hostname.ie, and any www site that uses a database as part of its hosting does precisely what you've outlined above.

I've also got a work-in-progress site on a testing URL that's using a "live" database from another server, so that I can get the front-end working based on what's already in the database.....this setup has

WIP SITE <== DB SERVER ==> LIVE SITE

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I can access MySQL on my shared hosting account from websites that I have running locally on my machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You should just test it & see if it works on your setup. If not, contact your hosting company to allow it from certain servers.

Right, I tested it and it didn't work. :)

It turned out I needed to add "%" to the MySQL allowed hosts list. This allows any server access my databases. I will probably change this to the IP of server_2, but for now, it works.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You could have always outsourced this to get it solved :pac:

• Advertisement

Evil Phil wrote: »
    You could have always outsourced this to get it solved :pac:

HAha... would you believe someone who is doing some work for me (yes, outsourced work!) told me the solution. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Right, I tested it and it didn't work. :)

It turned out I needed to add "%" to the MySQL allowed hosts list. This allows any server access my databases. I will probably change this to the IP of server_2, but for now, it works.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    This is a bloody dangerous thing to do on a live, internet facing server. You should have specified individual hosts or IPs rather than using % as this is the global wildcard * in SQL. Find out the hostname or IP from which you need to use the database and add that. And remove that % wildcard.

Regards...jmcc

They still need my username, password and database name though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

They still need my username, password and database name though, right?
    Yes and that's all that stands between the data and them. If it is a standard role type username or an easily guessed username all they have to do is do a brute force attack on the password.

Regards...jmcc

Sure they could do that with the root account as well.

I understand it makes sense to define the allowed IPs (I did say I will probably do that) but I think you're being a bit paranoid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

As jmcc said that wildcard is pretty loose.

are they your own servers?

I would look at restricting to the host of the remote box

if they're your own boxes you can also tunnel mysql over SSH for remote connections.

obviously on a busy server this will add some overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sure they could do that with the root account as well.

I understand it makes sense to define the allowed IPs (I did say I will probably do that) but I think you're being a bit paranoid. :)

well remote connections for the root account should be disabled ;)

Yep, they're my own servers (well, they're dedicated servers only I access.)

I'll take your advice - better safe than sorry. Cheers.

Advertisement