Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strangest thing happened me today..

Options
  • 09-02-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Well I was walking up to the bus stop at the top of my road, pushing my son in his buggy, when a romanian woman arrived at the bus stop with a child in a buggy and two other little ones. Next of all I look down at the child in the buggy, and on her lap was a blanket that i had hand made for my son, only to lose it the first day i put it on him in the buggy! I had lost it about 3 months ago if not longer!! Obviously since i made it there was no mistaking it was mine!

So totally in shock I asked her where she got her blanket, and explained that it was mine and i had lost it. She was quite cross (prob thought i was mental) and asked when, so i told her. She asked me did i want it back, i said yes i really do, as i had made it myself and i was so sorry to do this!! I really must have appeared crazy because i was now making stitching signs with my hands to make sure she understood me! I explained that had i just bought it i wouldn't care, but i had worked really hard on it and it meant so much to me because i made it for my son, and i was so upset when i lost it.

So she took it off her child and gave it to me, apologising for a dirty mark on it! So i didnt know what to do so i gave her one of my son's shop bought blankets so her child wouldnt go cold! Meanwhile her two other children were furiously asking her why i was taking their sister's blanket from her!

I'm still a bit shocked about the fact that i found it, i'd rather it was stuffed in a bush or something! I kind of acted without thinking but i'm delighted to have it back! What would you guys have done? Please say the same as me so i dont feel as bad!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

thats a great story - i really hope i would of done what you done, but im one of those idiots who would of sat there and said notting while reeeling inside:o

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you remember to thank her? May have forgotten with shock I suppose. For a minute there I thought you were going to say she nicked it when you looked away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

MarkR wrote: »
    Did you remember to thank her? May have forgotten with shock I suppose. For a minute there I thought you were going to say she nicked it when you looked away!

No i did thank her, and apologise profusely!! And although it was just a small gesture i told her to take the only buggy space on the bus and battled my 18mt old son on my knee instead...who then threw a tantrum and banged his head but thats another story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

God, those Romanians!

Dirty, surprisingly reasonable returners of found property!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Credit where credit is due, this lady could have walked off instead of returning the blanket. Fair dues to her :)

Well done OP, you would have been raging later if you hadn't spoken up. I bet you feel great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I can totally understand how the blanket was important to you. Bet you were feeling slightly guilty ... but I admire your guts at asking for it back. Honestly - I totally mean that!!

If it were me I would never have had the courage to do it, and would have ended up even more upset that I missed my chance to get back something that was precious to me.

What an amazing story... isn't life full of strange events all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

This lady had probably found it on the ground and kept it used it rather than leaving it there to decompose. It doesn't sound like there was anything suspicious about her, infact she seems a decent person.
    I don't think I would have had the courage to ask her for the blanket despite knowing all the effort it takes to make one (I knit/sew as well), I would probably be flattered she liked to take it out in public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

kelle wrote: »
    This lady had probably found it on the ground and kept it used it rather than leaving it there to decompose. It doesn't sound like there was anything suspicious about her, infact she seems a decent person.
    I don't think I would have had the courage to ask her for the blanket despite knowing all the effort it takes to make one (I knit/sew as well), I would probably be flattered she liked to take it out in public!

Oh no i don't think there was anything suspicious about her at all, she did seem lovely, if a bit stunned! It was actually her who asked me did i want it, i didnt actually ask, but having said that i probably would've asked her for it had she not have offered to give it back. But the truth is i was totally shocked at seeing it again and i just started blabbering on to her without thinking it through..hence the feeling guilty bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

stovelid wrote: »
    God, those Romanians!

Dirty, surprisingly reasonable returners of found property!

Hmmm..

Op how do you know she was Romanian? Roma gypsy was she maybe? (Mostly from Turkey/ Bulgaria not actually Romania)

Fairly sound of her to return it. I think you were right to ask her for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Brilliant story. When I started reading I wasn't expecting a good ending. Obviously you handled it very well. Of course you are right in trying to get the blanket back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Funny, I thought the same -that it was taken from your child just as you looked away.......but thankfully it was a lovely story!!

Well done!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Hmmm..

Thanks for the unsolicited geography lesson. You may need to switch on your sarcasm detector, however.

Advertisement