Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confined barking dog

Options
  • 09-02-2009 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi all,

I have a question about how to mind a dog.

My neighbours have had a dog for the last 18 months. IT is actually not theirs, it is the dog of their brother who told them to mind the dog for 2 weeks...

Well, the story is that the dog has never been walked during that time, no one interacts with the dog and is barking and barking...
    The neighbours told me they walked the dog at the beginning but the dog was just going crazy and then they brought the dog to the vet, who adviced to keep the dog confined due to his behaviour.

The dog is 12 and honestly barks all day long. That confinement cannot be good. What do you think? Is that vet advice common practice in these cases? Is there anytning that can be done better?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I find it hard to believe any vet would say confine an animal with no exercise unless it was ill. Sounds like a pack of lies imo! What exactly is the so called behaviour issue with the dog? It sounds like hes goin out of his mind with boredom hence the non stop barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

sorry, just one clarification. The dog is confined in their garden (60sq meters approx), which allows the dog to run a little bit.

But has no contact with any other dog and very little with humans.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

The poor wee dog is LONELY; starved of what it really needs.

Makes the heart ache.

Of course it barks.

Dogs are social animals.

If we were in Canada the answer would be simple. but Ireland!

I know, I know, it is crazy

I told them diplomatically how bad is refraining the dog from any social interation but is very difficult for me to go to the neigbours and tell them how to mind their dog.

They have no intentions of changing their current method and I do not know what alternative to suggest them

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Could you offer to walk the dog yourself? Say something like you are getting out walking in hte evenings and the dog is a good excuse to get you to do it!

• Advertisement

I thought of that already

However, according to my neighbour's story, they walked the dog during the first week and they could not control the dog even with the lead. That is why the broght the dog to the vet and then as a result has been confined in the garden for the last 18 months

cheers

The dog would seem to have taste.....

Needed time to adjust and they did this to it?

Where are you?

Do you have a Dog Warden where you are? Check the Council web site?

No dog barks like that for no reason and they should be able to do something. We have always had good help like that if we could not solve the issue ourselves.

Blessings and commiserations; it is a dreadful noise to live with.
    mikelata wrote: »
    I thought of that already

However, according to my neighbour's story, they walked the dog during the first week and they could not control the dog even with the lead. That is why the broght the dog to the vet and then as a result has been confined in the garden for the last 18 months

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Either your neighbours vet got their degree in a bag of cornflakes or your neighbour is lying. They are being lazy and down right cruel to that animal. Some dogs go crazy for a while on the lead and then settle down because like ourselves they can get excited! But sadly it is not illegal not to walk the dog. I feel so sorry for the fella, I can only imagine if I was confined to a 60m garden! I would be tearing up bushes, digging up the grass and barking my head off too (if I were a dog, although no doubt a human would do the same after that lenght of time)

There is no behavioural or social problems with most dogs, some breeds are not good with being walked with other dogs and some breeds have restrictions but even Chihuahuas need to be walked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

Based on your account of how your neighbour treats the dog, I would strongly suspect that they do not have a license for the dog. I think your best option here is to contact the dog warden and make a complaint about the dog. The warden is allowed to cease the dog.. If they have no interest in keeping the dog as a pet they will probably allow this to happen. While the dog pound is a terrible place for the pooch to land his paws, there is a very good chance that he will end up with a rescue which is just what he / she needs. The story about the vet is simply not true. You could also make a complaint to the DSPCA but the likely hood is that if the dog has food and water and is not sick in any way they will not be able to intervene.

Good Luck!

thanks to everybody for your replies.

The dog has water, food and is not being physically tortured. As wolfpawnat said, not bringing a dog for a walk is not illegal...

Being my neighbours, it is difficult for me making a legal complaint. I think I am going to try to use diplomacy to see if I can make them understanding the cruelty of their acts. I might suggest to them the dog warden.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Please, call the dog warden? We understand your reluctance, but...

We are blessed in Donegal as we know the Pet Rescue folk; so they act if we report abuse, not mentioning us.

But in every way the dog is being effectively tortured.

thanks to everybody for your replies.

The dog has water, food and is not being physically tortured. As wolfpawnat said, not bringing a dog for a walk is not illegal...

Being my neighbours, it is difficult for me making a legal complaint. I think I am going to try to use diplomacy to see if I can make them understanding the cruelty of their acts. I might suggest to them the dog warden.

Thanks again

Yes Sorella, you are right. Even though the dog is not physically being tortured, it is emotionally and psychologically tortured.

As I said, I think that the best way might be to try to do it diplomatically first. I am also trying to involve the neighbour of the other side of their house, who has our same opinion but is quite reluctant to even talk to the neighbours about it…
    If talking to them does not find a solution, following the dog warden suggestions might be the best option.

thanks

Bless you!

We had something similar at our previous let.

Dog at the house just up the lane barking all night.

A collie left tied up all night and day.

She was barking because she could see the wild critters and could not get at them.

So we tried a more subtle approach also....having lined up our Pet Rescue folk if this did not avail

Called round VERY concerned; are you OK? Is something wrong? With you? With the dog? CAN WE HELP YOU? Please, let us do something to help? We heard her barking and were soooooooooo worried about you.
    Been awake all night worrying. about you and the dog......

Emerged that they are both deaf and with the double glazing could not hear the barking.

They were mortified; moved the dog round the back, and she had more freedom after that.

But we would have acted else.

Yes Sorella, you are right. Even though the dog is not physically being tortured, it is emotionally and psychologically tortured.

As I said, I think that the best way might be to try to do it diplomatically first. I am also trying to involve the neighbour of the other side of their house, who has our same opinion but is quite reluctant to even talk to the neighbours about it…
    If talking to them does not find a solution, following the dog warden suggestions might be the best option.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

How about telling them to sort it out or else you're going to complain to the local council about the noise disturbance issue?

If the dog really is barking all day (and I've no reason to doubt you) then its got to be affecting your own quality of life and your legal entitlement to peacefully enjoy your residence.

I don't see why you're being so diplomatic at this stage to be honest. They lied to you about the vet and his instructions (any vet would refer you to a behaviourist or something else, they'd never tell you to confine the dog to the back garden for the rest of its life) so I don't see how you owe them anything at this stage.

May seem harsh, but sometimes the reality can be that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

Also.. not being able to walk on a lead as a pup isn't a behaviour issue... all dogs have to be trained to walk on a lead properly.. all puppies go a bit lala when you put a lead on them the first couple of times...

you can always make an annonymous complaint to the dog warden.. if the dog barks so much then it could be any of your neighbours that complained. I totally appreciate that you don't want to fall out with your neighbours here but you really have to think about what is most important here.... It's not you, it's not your neighbours feelings, or your relationship with your neighbours it's the dog!

The dog is being neglected and you need to help it out. I know its a rotten situation for you to be in but surely you will sleep better at night if you help get it out of that dreadful situation!

Please, please have a go at reporting the poor dog to anyone you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 settergirl

If this dog has food, water, dry clean bed to sleep on then and healthy there is little chance that a rescue or dog warden will seize the dog unless the 'owners' have no dog licence and even then i think you'll find that they will be given a warning or a fine first.

If walking the dog really IS out of the question for whatever reason(probably laziness). You could suggest getting the dog something to play with like toys ,balls, kongs etc etc. Although this is NOT a substitute for walking the dog, it may alleviate the situation a little for the poor dog and yourself.

Often though the mention of these concerns and the official name will have a good effect. We have done that many times.

A warning would avail much.

Need to be positive here:)

settergirl wrote: »
    If this dog has food, water, dry clean bed to sleep on then and healthy there is little chance that a rescue or dog warden will seize the dog unless the 'owners' have no dog licence and even then i think you'll find that they will be given a warning or a fine first.

If walking the dog really IS out of the question for whatever reason(probably laziness). You could suggest getting the dog something to play with like toys ,balls, kongs etc etc. Although this is NOT a substitute for walking the dog, it may alleviate the situation a little for the poor dog and yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Would the dog warden just warn the people, because if he takes the dog to the pound he will likely be PTS. It would be very hard to rehome him because of his age - thats if they even try.

Please, can we be positive here?

If they tell the dog warden the same thing re the vet as they are telling everyone else? He will contradict it?

He is officialdom.
    Would the dog warden just warn the people, because if he takes the dog to the pound he will likely be PTS. It would be very hard to rehome him because of his age - thats if they even try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Sorry Sorella, I dont think I worded that right. I mean I hope a dog warden would warn these neighbours to take care of the dog as opposed to taking the dog away to the pound, because his prognosis wouldnt be good in the pound.

Thats all Id be afraid of with the dog warden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snuggle Bunny

They don't deserve that poor dog, maybe they should be chucked out their back garden and left there...in all weathers:mad: sorry I'm being very childish but honestly how can you be so cruel to a poor animal like that who is so obviously depressed and slowly going mad. They need to be reported, best of luck with it.

It's OK: I Know what you mean. Just that the OP is very nervous re facing this and I did not want her more so.

Dog wardens vary; one we knew has his own refuge and a no -kill policy; and we have another voluntary group with that policy here in Donegal.

I took a couple of strays to the Gardai barracks a whjile back; they were playing Russian Roulette with the traffic and I knew rhey were not local dogs.

They handed them over to this group and they were both rehomed.

Funny part was that our Pet Rescue later told me that that pair had been returned to their owners and the folk told off several times. Seemingly my intervention was the turning point. They were neglected. But not enough to biring a case against them.

So this can turn out well.

But worth finding out who there is in rescue where you are.

Blessings
    Sorry Sorella, I dont think I worded that right. I mean I hope a dog warden would warn these neighbours to take care of the dog as opposed to taking the dog away to the pound, because his prognosis wouldnt be good in the pound.

Thats all Id be afraid of with the dog warden.

Advertisement