Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums and GHWT

Options
  • 09-02-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I decided to give GHWT a go and picked up the guitar and game for PS3 (HMV through in a free bass guitar as they had one left as well). I haven't had so much fun playing a game for quite some time. I am now thinking of may be picking up a 2nd hand drum kit from ebay or the likes. However, they are a bit pricey so am wondering is it worth it ? Are they as much crack as the guitars are ?

Cheers,
    TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Well put it this way, Cully actually bought a proper electronic drumkit to hook up to Rock Band.

... we haven't seen or heard much from him since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Red Octane/Activision are releasing a standalone drum pack at the end of this month AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

So does anyone want to share their drumming experiences ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I wouldn't recommend buying one on ebay,you'll have nothing if it breaks.
    Wait for the standalone drums or buy a rock band drumkit.
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Well put it this way, Cully actually bought a proper electronic drumkit to hook up to Rock Band.

He's been in China since January,but I played on his drums and they are AWESOME.

He's been in China since January,but I played on his drums and they are AWESOME.

Conspicious by his absence, as the board has been almost dead since he took off! :D

I played with him while he was fine tuning his kit, he was utter rubbish but he kept blaming it on his kit for some reason ;)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't recommend buying one on ebay,you'll have nothing if it breaks.
    Wait for the standalone drums or buy a rock band drumkit.

Is the rockband drum kit compatible with GHWT ? Also, are the GHWT guitars compatible with Rock Band. I have GHWT on the PS3 and would consider getting Rock Band 1 (I don't see that RB2 has been released here yet for PS3) and giving that a bash.

Cheers,
    TC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I bought the GHWT pack with all the instruments on Sunday. One of the buttons on the guitar is interrmitent and one of the cymbal leads is completely dead. Back it goes.

TinCool wrote: »
    Is the rockband drum kit compatible with GHWT ? Also, are the GHWT guitars compatible with Rock Band. I have GHWT on the PS3 and would consider getting Rock Band 1 (I don't see that RB2 has been released here yet for PS3) and giving that a bash.

Cheers,
    TC

GH:WT guitar is compatible with RB1. I recently bought RB1 and WT guitar works perfectly with it.
    AFAIK RB drums work with WT, put due to 4 pads of RB drums compared to 5 in WT, the songs are a bit gimped.

ongarite wrote: »
    GH:WT guitar is compatible with RB1. I recently bought RB1 and WT guitar works perfectly with it.
    AFAIK RB drums work with WT, put due to 4 pads of RB drums compared to 5 in WT, the songs are a bit gimped.

Thanks for the info. How does RB1 compare to GHWT ? I'm thinking of picking it up over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

any one know how much the standalone drumkit is going to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

How does this work can you hook up any set of electric drums?

Thanks for the info. How does RB1 compare to GHWT ? I'm thinking of picking it up over the weekend.

Good question. IMO RB1 as a band game with a 4 players is a super game but as a single player game, its a severly flawed game.
    99% of my time is spent playing RB1 in solo mode and its very very basic. Once you play through the solo tour, the game is basically over.
    Nobody plays RB1 online so its impossible to setup a band as it seems to be have been abandoned by US players and RB franchise is DOA in Europe.

Saying that, the actual gameplay is very good with good charting, solo sections and freestyle section at end of some songs and well done crowd effects.

RB2 seemed to have fixed most of the solo playing flaws with integrated solo/band modes and better sorting of songs, genres and song queue like WT.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I wouldn't say the game is over once you've completed the 3 solo tours (drums/guitar/vox). You've got about 400 songs to choose from on the Marketplace. If you haven't downloaded the Boston track pack, you haven't lived...

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the game is over once you've completed the 3 solo tours (drums/guitar/vox). You've got about 400 songs to choose from on the Marketplace. If you haven't downloaded the Boston track pack, you haven't lived...

Thats not exactly what was asked. As a solo guitar only game, RB1 is pretty limited.
    You breeze through the Solo Tour songs and thats it. There is no bass Solo Tour mode and you can't play in Band World Tour unless you have all the instruments locally with 2+ players or you can actually find someone that still plays RB1 online.
    Its even worse if your not the band leader and you can't play online unless the band leader is present in Band World Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Mostly because I went to China for 1 month and for some stupid reason, every single ISP in China blocks boards.ie (I'm not exaggerating)
    Conspicious by his absence, as the board has been almost dead since he took off! :D

I played with him while he was fine tuning his kit, he was utter rubbish but he kept blaming it on his kit for some reason ;)

Haha... I just got it working about an hour before that and the thing was giving echo notes, triggering nearby pads, and the bass wasn't secured... Now, My only excuse is that I suck :P

RB2 is so much better than RB1... I would rate GH:WT a little better than RB1, but then if I had the choice, I would still buy RB1 because of the way the career thing works and more and better songs available online. GH:WT gets boring easily...
    hacktavist wrote: »
    How does this work can you hook up any set of electric drums?

Yes, but you need something extra.... There's an extra adapter you need depending on if you have the PS3 version or the Xbox360 version. The one I have was bought off some guy on ebay who pre-soldered it all together. If you know electronics or know someone who does, then they can do it cheaply for you.

Fnar Fnar! Welcome back man, it's been too long! :)

ongarite wrote: »
    Thats not exactly what was asked. As a solo guitar only game, RB1 is pretty limited.
    You breeze through the Solo Tour songs and thats it.

Guitar Hero 1 through 3 was the same, and that (mainly 2) kept me playing for well over a year. RB2 is certainly an improvement in most reagards, but RB1 followed basically the same structure as Guitar Hero (the good ones (the ones madeby harmonix)) and that kept us happy for so long!

Off Topic (again, sorry!), am I correct in assuming most of you know each other in real life... Well, in person, might be a better term :P

Guitar Hero 1 through 3 was the same, and that (mainly 2) kept me playing for well over a year. RB2 is certainly an improvement in most reagards, but RB1 followed basically the same structure as Guitar Hero (the good ones (the ones madeby harmonix)) and that kept us happy for so long!

Off Topic (again, sorry!), am I correct in assuming most of you know each other in real life... Well, in person, might be a better term :P

I know Cully and I have met ShawnRaven once but mostly we just play online.

Kool and the gang...

As a reply to you in DDR thread, I get a bit sick of people verbally raping the RB stock Kit. The drums work absolutely fine for me.

That said, my pedal did break at the hinge, but I taped it down with masking tape about 3 months ago, it's still going... I actually prefer the loose-ness that it's created :P

• Advertisement

Kool and the gang...

As a reply to you in DDR thread, I get a bit sick of people verbally raping the RB stock Kit. The drums work absolutely fine for me.

This is because you were one of the lucky people (like 1 in 1,000) that got a good one.
    The highest score from visions on drums is by a teenager with a completely unmodded rb1 kit :eek:

This is because you were one of the lucky people (like 1 in 1,000) that got a good one.
    The highest score from visions on drums is by a teenager with a completely unmodded rb1 kit :eek:

Madness I'm sure!

I have met ShawnRaven once.

Hah, i've never seen someone look so nervous and petrified as I did that day.
    Although i'm sure the shaved head and piercings probably didn't help.

No, that would certainly not help, though I'm sure you're lovely. So this forum is a farely tight knit community then? I would have this discussion else where, but there's precious few threads... What are the mods like? Strict?

No, that would certainly not help, though I'm sure you're lovely. So this forum is a farely tight knit community then? I would have this discussion else where, but there's precious few threads... What are the mods like? Strict?

I was one of the ones who lobbied for the forums creation last year, by copying Zapp Brannigan's sig (he put the initial request in). It took a few months for it to surface but it got there, and to be fair to the mods, they don't have to do a lot as this particular forum moderates itself. People exchange tags and play online, help newbies and even not so new folk, discuss the differences between games.

The community, tight enough but fairly laid back at the same time. We don't get a lot of trouble, which is always good. So welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. :)

Cool, thanks for the official welcome, as it were...

I haven't seen any mods whinging in here.. and they probably had reason to if they did :P

Anyway... it's mostly relaxed here.. which is good.

As for meeting... We could organise a bit of a rock band 2 meetup some weekend if you were prepared to travel to dublin. I have 2 spare rooms which can be used as bedrooms, and I have enough crap to keep us going. (incl a roland drumset for rock band)

I could even show you some of the other awesome rhythm games.... Pop'n'Music and IIDX... both of which I have arcade controllers for.

That sounds very cool... I work most weekends, but during the summer perhaps? That's miles away though! Also, that Roland Kit sounds sexy :eek:

That sounds very cool... I work most weekends, but during the summer perhaps? That's miles away though! Also, that Roland Kit sounds sexy :eek:

Summer yes.... Let me know as much in advance as you can and I'll try get a few of the lads here for a rock band meetup... Maybe if we get enough decent players we can pwn the crap out of endless setlist 2 :D We sure have enough talent between all of us.

I already have those achievements, but it would be nice to be a part of someone elses achievement getting. (also I have the bladder of steel award.... ouch)

• Advertisement

Is that one of the secret ones? What is it? I'm sure I could get the endless setlist on my own, but there's plenty of multiplayer ones I need, like the 90 second overdrive award...

Advertisement