Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay's latest rip off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

A band like coldplay and bound to sound similar to something already out there.
    Its just their style of music is very common and generic.

Its like saying Rory Gallagher ripped off Buddy Guy cuz both their songs are based on the 12 bar blues!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

big bands have a whole army of people paid just to listen to songs which have been forgotten. They then get a selection of the best to chose from and the write their own version of it. RCHP, Coldplay and U2 who stole another artists artwork for their new album for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sounds nothing like it at all......the Coldplay bashers are really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Meh, I see nothing in that, but as a Joe Satriani fan I was the least suprised when they ripped off "If I Could Fly" for "Viva La Vida"... No I never liked Coldplay, but from then I started hating them, ripping off other peoples material is the lowest any band can go. Best band in the world my arse! The 1# leading single from their new album isn't even their song, it sickens me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Nolanger wrote: »
    The riff on their new hit single sounds similar to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJfyv55G4E&feature=related
    No, it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

they got a grammy there last night for it, or some big award anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Another Coldplay ripoff, ain't that a surprise then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

A band like coldplay and bound to sound similar to something already out there.
    Its just their style of music is very common and generic.

thats utter bollix! A band like cold play is just a bag of toss with an ego at the mic. They are terrible. Please dont compare them to anyone with tallent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

red_ice wrote: »
    thats utter bollix! A band like cold play is just a bag of toss with an ego at the mic. They are terrible. Please dont compare them to anyone with tallent.

Gotta agree here, if Wales ever were looking for their own version of Bono for ego purposes, believe me, they found it with Chris Martin.

Just give it another five years before he gets slated left right and centre, and he'll deserve every one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Gotta agree here, if Wales ever were looking for their own version of Bono for ego purposes, believe me, they found it with Chris Martin.

He's Welsh?! News to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I used to like coldplay back in the days. But i don't listen to them anymore cuz i've a bit of a bitter history associated with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

noby wrote: »
    He's Welsh?! News to me.
    Indeed, he is English!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I thought the Coldplay track you were referring to was Lovers In Japan, not Life In Technicolour.....and nope it still doesnt sound like it....what bit in particular am I supposed to be listening to? I'm usually good at spotting the rip-offs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Nailz wrote: »
    Meh, I see nothing in that, but as a Joe Satriani fan I was the least suprised when they ripped off "If I Could Fly" for "Viva La Vida"... No I never liked Coldplay, but from then I started hating them, ripping off other peoples material is the lowest any band can go. Best band in the world my arse! The 1# leading single from their new album isn't even their song, it sickens me.

You're being a bit silly.
    Do you realy believe they did it on purpose?

Eh, yeah! Did you hear the two songs compared!?! They have the exact same melody, same BPS and the singing goes to the EXACT same tune as Satriani's lead! If they did that by accident, it snow's in hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A thread derived from fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm, no.

The rythm is very similar, but on the whole, definitely not something I'd call a rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

This is not a rip off, its similar at most...if you look hard enough you're bound to find so many songs that sound this alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Isn't someone suing Coldplay for ripping off one of their songs?? Was sure I heard it in the news...

Hope it bankrupts them! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I thought the Coldplay track you were referring to was Lovers In Japan, not Life In Technicolour.....and nope it still doesnt sound like it....what bit in particular am I supposed to be listening to? I'm usually good at spotting the rip-offs ;)

It's the plucky-keyboard riff at 0:30 - recognised the DMode reference straight away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

if anyone would also like to point out, that the cribs mens needs bassline is identical to kings of leons sex on fire :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

big bands have a whole army of people paid just to listen to songs which have been forgotten. They then get a selection of the best to chose from and the write their own version of it. RCHP, Coldplay and U2 who stole another artists artwork for their new album for example.

They do boy yeah :rolleyes:

Yep the guitar line on Satrianis song is similar to the vocals on Viva la Vida....but I can't honestly believe Coldplay sat down and said "right, lets rip this guy off!!!". The songs are in different keys and with completely different instrumentation (Bass-Drums-Guitar vs synths & strings)...you could pick hundreds of songs where bits sound like other bits.
    Methinks Satriani wants a bit of publicity cos hes nowhere near as big as Coldplay. :D

Yeah seen that video before, very clear and distinked aswell.

Edit: No I just think Joe is pissed of because some other band that are too crap to think of their own material are making shįt loads of money (we're talking millions) from a song that he wrote!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

If I don't like music I dont listen to it.
    I suggest you do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Nailz wrote: »
    No I just think Joe is pissed of because some other band that are too crap to think of their own material are making shįt loads of money (we're talking millions) from a song that he wrote!
    Thats quite true , Indeed aren't we lucky Coldplay have had no other hits or well known songs otherwise they might have even more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Coldplay have even ripped off themselves - Speed of Sound being Clocks part II.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dudess wrote: »
    Coldplay have even ripped off themselves - Speed of Sound being Clocks part II.

Both are savage songs though - I'd be happy out if they released a Clocks part 3, 4 & 5 tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know what Nolanger means - the rhythm of the new Coldplay single's riff, and the instrument it's played on... quite reminiscent of DM's Strangelove all right. But I don't think it's a rip-off.

I don't understand the Satriani thing at all. A similar snippet of melody but other than that, zilcho. I would seriously doubt it was intentional. New Order got sued by John Denver for something similar - a snippet of melody, which I must say, was very like his original... but New Order intentionally copying John Denver? Hardly...

Advertisement