Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay's latest rip off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

gustavo wrote: »
    Thats quite true , Indeed aren't we lucky Coldplay have had no other hits or well known songs otherwise they might have even more money.
    We're talking about decent music here mate, something that Coldplay can't think of themselves.

And I wouldn't entirely agree Dudess, the melody isn't the only thing that's is prectically simular, What's-His-Faces' lyrics go to the "exact" same tune as Joe Satriani's lead Guitar. The BPM is exactly the same too! They shouldn't get away with this just because it's Synth & Strings vs. Guitar, Bass & Drums.

Does anybody else remember when Vanilla Ice got away with stealing (in broad daylight) Queen & Bowie's "Under Presure" because they added one beat to the mix???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That wasn't even a copycat - it was an actual sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nailz wrote: »
    We're talking about decent music here mate, something that Coldplay can't think of themselves.

And I wouldn't entirely agree Dudess, the melody isn't the only thing that's is prectically simular, What's-His-Faces' lyrics go to the "exact" same tune as Joe Satriani's lead Guitar. The BPM is exactly the same too! They shouldn't get away with this just because it's Synth & Strings vs. Guitar, Bass & Drums.

I'm glad you put the word "exact" in inverted commas although I doubt they mean what you think they mean.

There is one part of the song that sounds similar to Satriani's song. Saying that it's exactly the same diminishes your argument because it patently isn't exact.

There's about 10 seconds worth where the songs sound similar.

Your vitriolic Coldplay bashing is extremely tiresome. If you don't like them then just don't listen to them, constantly telling people the band knows nothing about decent music is just pointless and irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Dudess wrote: »
    New Order got sued by John Denver for something similar - a snippet of melody, which I must say, was very like his original... but New Order intentionally copying John Denver? Hardly...

That was New Orders "Run" vs Leaving On A Jet Plane wasnt it?

Yeah, the likelihood of New Order copying John Denver is pretty equal to that of Coldplay copying Satriani. Its not like hes Jimi Hendrix. The more I listen to his song the less I think it sounds like Viva La Vida.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fairness I think if Coldplay were really in the business of looking for other people's music to steal (even typing that makes me feel foolish tbh) they would have chosen someone less well known and influential than Joe Satriani ffs.

The whole idea of it is just absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That was New Orders "Run" vs Leaving On A Jet Plane wasnt it?
    Yep, and the first time I heard Run, I have to say I was immediately reminded of Leaving On a Jet Plane at that particular part - nine notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm glad you put the word "exact" in inverted commas although I doubt they mean what you think they mean.

There is one part of the song that sounds similar to Satriani's song. Saying that it's exactly the same diminishes your argument because it patently isn't exact.

There's about 10 seconds worth where the songs sound similar.

Your vitriolic Coldplay bashing is extremely tiresome. If you don't like them then just don't listen to them, constantly telling people the band knows nothing about decent music is just pointless and irritating.
    I think you'll find those are called quotation marks. I admit I never liked Coldplay, I'm not into crappy radio-music anyway, it's just annoying as I listen to Satriani's music regularly and would consider myself a fan. But, as somebody else said, they should have picked on a small band that have the potential to be great.

Advertisement