Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifesaving courses in Galway?

Options
  • 09-02-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any lifesaving courses being run in Galway? It's something I've wanted to do for ages and I'm determined to do it this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's definatley courses on, no doubt about that. Not sure about particular courses but you'll get any info needed from www.iws.ie

The head office is on Long Walk, beside the Museum. Call in or give them a ring/email they'll sort you out

Good on ya, wish more people would do lifesaving courses, never know when you'll put it to use

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Thanks john. Looking to do the national pool lifeguard qualification. No real intention to be a lifeguard but it might come in handy someday. I'll give the iws a shout and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Can you post any infos here? I wouldnt mind doing a casual lifesaving course. Been meaning to for a while. One of those things (like a CPR course) that should be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

I had to do first aid training as part of my membership requirements - we used the guys from http://www.firstaid.ie/ and found them excellent. Ours was a CPR day course and was very reasonably priced. I know they run the course open to the public from time to time. You can email them to see what they have on in the near future. I think most of the courses are run out of Flannery's Hotel in town.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

First Aid would be included in the Lifesaving course, unless things have changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Folks - Slightly off topic but I would advise any company or private individual looking to do a Occupational First Aid Course (OFA) to check and ensure that the Instructor and Examiner are Certified with Current Certs. Most companies are legite but there are a few cowboys out there with expired certification and have not done any refresher courses themselves. The HSA announced changes last September and alot of Instructors who had not renewed their certification by 2009 have had their certification revoked.

There is a detailed list here of Occupational Registered Instructors <clicky>

Further info here: http://www.ofaaa.ie

I am one of the Instructors who did not renew the certification but am doing it in the next month (no time). Just in case you are wondering I do not work for First Aid Training Service listed above but they are a legite company.

Advertisement