Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UPC] Cap and Fair Usage Policy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Don Diego

vibe666 wrote: »
    there's a drastic lack of bandwidth available and if they can't provide 20mbps to their customers then they shouldn't be selling it.

The devil is in the details. ISP's usually advertise as "speeds up to 20meg" or whatever so technically they can weasel out of providing what they are supposed to be selling you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well it was 18mbps at peak time a few weeks agowhich is fine, but 2mbps is pretty poor by any standard.

good call on the snmp data though, would have come in handy if i wasn't already using the tomato firmware on my wrt54gs to capture it all. highly recommended btw if anyone is on ntl and looking for a good router/firmware combo. a lot of people go for dd-wrt, but i find tomato to be a lot leaner and more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jardel

I just received my bill for March. They upgraded me from UPC Broadband Express to UPC Broadband Extreme (€80.00) without any notice. I didn‘t receive any warning about going over usage limit from UPC. However Customer support is now claiming that they sent me a letter. What I've got recently was an offer to upgrade to UPC Broadband Ultra.

I know that I was downloading quite a lot in January, so it must something over hidden 250GB cap. Normally my traffic isn‘t high – I‘d say 20 to 100GB a month.

My question is to those who were forced to upgrade to that rip off Extreme Broadband (which officially doesn‘t even exists). What option do we have as users and what did you personally do? I have no intentions to pay 80 euro a month from now on for broadband just because my traffic for a month was higher than usual. I was happy with UPC Broadband Express and I want to have it back!

So everyone who has experience dealing with UPC please advice.

they wouldn't normally just move you over with no notification or prior history of going over the FUP.

i was over mine by over 100gb in January and they sent me a letter to warn me (posted earlier in this thread) and by about 5gb in Feb and didn't hear anything from them at all.

i think you need to find out what your useage is off them fr the last 3 months and find out exactly what happened and why.

is it possible you have an unsecured(or poorly secured) wifi router on your broadband connection that someone else is using to steal all your bandwidth?

also remember that it's not just what you download that counts, it's what you download plus what you upload.

for example, these are my stats for the last 3 months (from my ruter, NTL don't have an option to check your stats online which is a real bummer for trying to manage usage).

month d-loaded uploaded total
    January 137.69GB 173.68GB 311.37GB
    February 149.06GB 104.98GB 254.04GB
    March 84.71GB 50.72GB 135.43GB

(i missed a week of January in my router stats, so it's not showing the full total of 360gb+)

the only number NTL cares about is the total of the downloaded & uploaded data combined. thats where the 250gb FUP comes in.

if they justmeasured downloads then great, i'd be high and dry every month, but because they count uploaded data too, with a 1.5mbps upload it's not too hard to wander over the FUP even though I'm not downloading much more than I was on my 7.6mbps BT DSL before I moved over.

it's also worth noting that I'm getting nowhere near my full 20mbps, and for the last few weeks haven't even managed to hit 10mbps down on speedtests, although my upload is around 1mbps still.

a lot of the time i'm getting between 2mbps and 6mbps, so quite how 250gb in both directions is supposed to be adequite for a 20mbps connection I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jtothesums

Hi guys. I've been reading your posts with great interest. I'm currently with Digiweb (wireless not DSL) and for €46 per month I'm getting 8mb with a 40GB monthly allowance. Service is very good and overall I'm happy except that the download cap is too low are there are 6individual users and it costs too much to upgrade to a higher package. UPC had a door to door saleman going around in Carlow recently and he tells me that they offer 10mb download speeds with unlimited (fair usage policy) traffic. It only costs €35 a month if I recall correctly so it would be a much better deal for me. I'm just curious to know what UPC service is like? It might be good in Dublin, Waterford or wherever but has anyone had any experience of UPC Bband in Carlow? I'm somewhat reluctant to change from Digiweb as they have been very reliable, customer service is good & they also have a freephone number :). I previously had DSL broadband both with Perlico and Cinergi (later taken over by imagine) and they were a disaster! I had to get my solicitor to resolve a dispute with Cinergi.:mad:
    Any comments on UPC service and reliability would be greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision soon as we have gone over our monthly limit by 40GB and our download speeds have now been reduced to 152kbps until be come back within out limit

• Advertisement

well, I was in a similar position to yourself.

Chorus have been doing TV in my area for yonks so the cable was already there, but recently (towards the end of last year) UPC started rolling out their 20mbps cable broadband around Navan so I took them up on it.

it's been up and down, but what it seems to be is that it's a new service, so they put x amount of bandwidth/hardware whatever in the back end to cope with x amount of new customers.

then more and more epople join up and that back end starts to struggle with the load and speeds drop, but eventually they send someone out to add more on the back end and it goes back to normal again.

here's the complete history of my speedtests since I got it in November last year.

speeds.jpg

as you can see, it's hardly a solid 20mbps all the time and quite often has been particuarly bad, but it always works and i very rarely have any real problems with real world speed, be it downloads or browsing.

in case you're wondering how i got that info BTW, speedtest.net keeps track of your IP address and even though it's not techinically a static IP address, its unlikely to change very often (if ever) if you don't turn off your modem.

i took that historical data and saved it into excel and just created a table from there.

yes, I know i'm a geek. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Don Diego wrote: »
    The devil is in the details. ISP's usually advertise as "speeds up to 20meg" or whatever so technically they can weasel out of providing what they are supposed to be selling you.

I think the whole "up to" line is just to cover standard stuff like network loss but in reality anything more than a meg lost is major and should be looked at. The issue really being that there is a lot of these sales tag lines that arent illegal but definitly not good business ethics, things like advertsiing as unlimited downloads but the having the FUP not set a limit is unfair.
    There definitly needs to be more clear cut rules when people shop around that just arent there or are very hard find.
    In an ideal world the government would have regulations there to ensure that any broadband product sold should have clear and accessible hard line figures on usgae, promised speeds etc.

the 'up to' thing is there because they know that they can't guarantee certain speeds to every single person in the country who should be able to get it without picking their way through every mm of cable between their hub and your house to find the bottleneck, which would cost millions that they don't have.

it's an easy get out clause for all ISP's.

if you had a contract that said exactly 20mbps broadband service and they couldn't give exactly that to you, you'd keep at them to fix it until they could.

of course they also use it to hide contention at busy times as well, so it's win win for them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

I'm thinking of getting 20Mbit UPC broadband for a new house, there'll be a few people using it. Does anybody know where they draw the line at for the 20Mbit service? Or is it genuinely unlimited? Do they throttle users showing excessive usage?

I'll try to stop people hammering the bandwidth 24/7 but there's only so much I can do and if people are paying for it I can't restrict their internet access.

The other option is Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Could anyone tell me what the download cap is on UPC Broadband light package? They don't sell it anymore so its not on the site.

• Advertisement

if you're on a package they no longer sell, you might well be paying over the odds for it as UPC have a habit of not updating users when they update their packages.

sorry, don't know what the cap would be, i've only had it since nov. and got the 20mbps package.

if you're on a package they no longer sell, you might well be paying over the odds for it as UPC have a habit of not updating users when they update their packages.

sorry, don't know what the cap would be, i've only had it since nov. and got the 20mbps package.

Paying €27.50 a month for it at the moment. When i signed up a few years back i got a few free points installed around the house as part of the deal (Broadband Starter i think they called it) So if i upgrade i'll lose them, I might give them a call and see what they could do for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

squared wrote: »
    Paying €27.50 a month for it at the moment. When i signed up a few years back i got a few free points installed around the house as part of the deal (Broadband Starter i think they called it) So if i upgrade i'll lose them, I might give them a call and see what they could do for me!

Ok thats very confusing? You have a few points around the house? There is only one modem though. Are you saying you bring the modem around the house to connect the modem to different catv points for connection? Are they cable tv active? If so bb upgrades wont effect the physical points as catv points can only be deactivated by cutting their feed from the main exterior point. @ 27.50 a month you may be on the light pack. It has a 6mb speed with a 20gb cap per month. They have finished the pack now so cant be found on the site...but can still be upgraded. Call them up and find out the options adn seeing as your on a discontinued pack the can do it live on th call for you. I belive you can go to the 10 mb express pack for 32eur per month or the value pack for 22 per month and a 3mb line speed.

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough, they are extra tv points. I have 4 extra points which I'm getting for free since i signed up. Think i will give them a ring when i get a chance and get the express pack.

I'm thinking of getting 20Mbit UPC broadband for a new house, there'll be a few people using it. Does anybody know where they draw the line at for the 20Mbit service? Or is it genuinely unlimited? Do they throttle users showing excessive usage?

I'll try to stop people hammering the bandwidth 24/7 but there's only so much I can do and if people are paying for it I can't restrict their internet access.

The other option is Smart.
    sorry cornerboy, i missed your question before.

the 20mbps service has a FUP of 250gb per month which includes downloads+uploads, so if you're torrenting you'll see that disappear fairly sharpish with a 1.5mbps upload speed, especially if you have multiple people in the house using the connection.

if you repeatedly go over that, you'll get a couple of warnings, then they will move you over to their (unpublicised) 'extreme' package without any further warnings that will (afaik) give you truly unlimited bandwidth for €80 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Don't forget overheads...

UPC probably count upload + downloads + the actual overheads to deliver the content

So even if you measure you're traffic (up and down) at your end, this is likely not the same picture of the traffic UPC have... - and its almost impossible to do with multiple devices, consoles, ipods etc etc online in a house

What UPC really have to do, and this has been said for years, is provide a simple customer site to measure usage - they obviously have the data, just make it available.

It may be a case to avoid breaching a FUP of 250G you'll want to to be keeping under 150 or so but its hard to guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tbh, 80 euro pm isn't bad for unlimited traffic.

smart's 20Mb/1Mb is eighty-something per-month as well for well over a few hundred megs a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I'm not sure if this will help, but alas, here's some information.

I was involved, in 2006, in a situation with a certain prominent mobile phone provider where a close friend had purchased a data card (mobile broadband) and used it as they pleased. The advertisement for it was listed as 'unlimited', so being quite naive back then (thinking unlimited actually meant unlimited), they used it based on that fact.

A little while later, without warning, the provider sent out a bill to cover 'excessive usage' of the service - amounting to almost $75,000. In attempting to find out what excessive usage on an unlimited package was, the provider just stone-walled the issue. They would not confirm that a cap existed on the package and therefore there was no way for a customer to know that they were going over a non-existent cap.

The matter was taken to ComReg who ruled against the mobile phone provider on the basis that they cannot have a hidden cap and as such cannot charge customers for excessive usage when they do not advertise the limitation somewhere in their T&C's.

In the case of UPC, 250 GB is a very generous amount, but as some other users here have echoed, the reference to 'unlimited' is misleading. I imagine that should someone take an issue to ComReg with this 'hidden' 250 GB then ComReg would ensure, after quite some time, that it was listed in UPC's T&C's.

As far as im aware comreg dont actually regulate BB products.

This might be more a consumer watchdog issue, not sure of the exact body here in ireland. Perhaps advertising standards body.

However they do list in the T&C's a FUP exists and they are probably covered.

250G is very generous, however its impossible to know if what you have used is what UPC thinks you have used.

Course, they don't want to advertise 250Gb limit and a tool to check cos everyone would aim for it pretty quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Solyad wrote: »
    As far as im aware comreg dont actually regulate BB products.

This might be more a consumer watchdog issue, not sure of the exact body here in ireland. Perhaps advertising standards body.

However they do list in the T&C's a FUP exists and they are probably covered.

250G is very generous, however its impossible to know if what you have used is what UPC thinks you have used.

Course, they don't want to advertise 250Gb limit and a tool to check cos everyone would aim for it pretty quickly

I had a quick look to be sure - ComReg do regulate broadband services in Ireland, although I'm not sure about it's position with UPC since no phone service is offered.

Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) is a pretty pointless avenue to explore as the group has no legislative power.

The cap, as far as I am aware, must be listed in their T&C's - saying one exists isn't sufficient. I absolutely understand that some people will see the cap as a target rather than a limit if it is listed, however, on the flip side, users (particularly new users) need to monitor their own usage so they don't exceed fair usage and become the subject to this clearly unwanted warning letters ;)

• Advertisement

the problem is, that it clearly states on their website that there is NO CAP on the 10 & 20mbps packages, but that it is subject to 'fair usage' and then don't tell you what they consider fair usage until after you cross their invisible limit.

this whole cap/fup thing has been done to death though. they won't change it of their own accord and if they were forced to, they might well just drop it to a lower figure to p1ss people off.

as for accurately measuring traffic, it's very easy.

just buy one of THESE (you'll find them cheaper on ebay) and flash it with THIS or THIS and it will keep a deadly accurate record of every single byte that passes in and out of your network and keep track of historical data over several months, as well as provide you with lots of pretty graphs so you can see how you're going. :)

The problem still exists that the data your router measures may not be what UPC measures since they may not be recording overheads the router doesnt pick up

Good tip though... unfortunately ive the wrt54G not the gl version, has hobbled memory and i dont know if you can flash it with some of those firmwares

Has anyone measured their usage and received a letter from ntl? If so, how much out were the figures.

EDIT - it mentions the Tomato works on the plain G, must find out if it runs on the G v5

Double EDIT - pah, the lousy v5 isnt supported, its the one where they halved the memory...

you might still be able to get tdd-wrt micro on it though, although i'm not sure if it has the bandwidth monitoring tools like it's big brother does.

I'm using tomato myself and loving it. used ot have thibor15c on the router previously and had tried dd-wrt, but tomato is head and shoulders above them both (imho) without being overly bloated.

its worth it's weigh in gold just for the ad-blocking script i added to it which keeps all the ads off anything using my LAN, but the other features make it shine, not least of which is that i'm constantly hammering it with 250gb of torrenting a month and web browsing on my other devices is just as responsive when i'm torrenting as when its sitting idle.

I'm not sure how accurate the bandwidth logging is compared to however ntl measure it, but i got a letter when i used (up+down) 361gb in a month (according to ntl), but no when i used 254gb (according to my router) after i changed the firmware to tomato v1.23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

sorry cornerboy, i missed your question before.

the 20mbps service has a FUP of 250gb per month which includes downloads+uploads, so if you're torrenting you'll see that disappear fairly sharpish with a 1.5mbps upload speed, especially if you have multiple people in the house using the connection.

if you repeatedly go over that, you'll get a couple of warnings, then they will move you over to their (unpublicised) 'extreme' package without any further warnings that will (afaik) give you truly unlimited bandwidth for €80 per month.

I've decided to go for UPC 20Mbit, mainly because there seems to be a huge amount of old people where I am (Crumlin/Drimnagh) and not a huge amount of broadband penetration if some WiFi scanning is anything to go by. I'm hoping contention won't be a huge issue given the above and that any transgressions would pass under the radar but 150GB-250GB is fine in the short & medium term anyway and could move to Magnet or UTV at some point. It's a huge pity that Smart aren't enabled where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

I have a problem thats similar to the posters here. I occasionally help out my sister with her computer when it comes to stuff she doesn't know much about (anti virus etc). She got a letter from UPC that she had downloaded 106.41 GB when shes on the light / value? package with its 20GB cap. Except she didnt download anything like that, she dosnt have torrents or p2p.

I know thats not the only way a body could download huge files but she never would hit the 20 GB in a month. Shes had this for years and its strange that it just pops up now. I myself am careful and have the same package but I havent gone over the cap recently anyway.

To quote the letter it says "We have found that this [that being other customers deterioration of service] is usually caused by a small number of broadband customers who continually upload and download extremely large files" Thats resonable but to me it begs the question what else could be causing it? I would have thought that downloading and uploading huge files would be the only thing that could cause such a large total! Or else downloading small files all day and everyday but even then....

I did a search and I found she has 14 files bigger than 10megs on her disk?:confused:

I have noticed that the only firewall was the windows one and am installing a decent one but could someone other have taken control of her computer and downloaded via hers so it wouldnt show up on theres? Im just perplexed and cant think of a good explanation except an unflatering one concerning UPC.

Theres another issue that she has the light pack that doesnt exist now apparantly. Shes paying 27.50 + 6 = 33.50 The 6 is standalone charge.
    The value pack is the most similar to light which suposdly has 6 meg download but still 20 GB cap. Value pack costs 22 + 6 = 28. The 3 megs differance may be UPCs justification for the extra price but since it never gets to anything like 3 megs it hardly seems fair. They do like their fair usage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is she using wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

No its cable and just the pure cable she has. Sorry I should have mentioned that already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

pertinax wrote: »
    No its cable and just the pure cable she has. Sorry I should have mentioned that already.

Just to double check, she doesn't have a wireless router of any kind?

The UPC cable modem isn't also a wireless (wifi) router?

The reason I ask is a common cause for this is a neighbour stealing the BB connection via wifi.

Another thing to check is to run an up to date virus scan on her computer, it might be being used as a bot net.

Basically this could explain a large bandwidth usage with no large files. An infected machine works with other infected machines to carry out a denial of service attack on companies to blackmail them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In the case of UPC, 250 GB is a very generous amount, but as some other users here have echoed, the reference to 'unlimited' is misleading. I imagine that should someone take an issue to ComReg with this 'hidden' 250 GB then ComReg would ensure, after quite some time, that it was listed in UPC's T&C's.

Sorry to drag up an older post, but just to add my 2 cents.

While IANAL, UPC's fair usage policy and a mobile operator charging someone €75,000 usage on an unlimited package are two very different things.

If you are going to charge someone for going over a cap, you can't call it unlimited and you have to spell out the charges. As you describe it, the mobile operator clearly didn't have a leg to stand on and would have been laughed out of court.

The difference with UPC is that they don't charge you for going over a cap. All they do is that they warn you that your usage is too heavy per the fair usage policy and that if you continue to be a very heavy downloader they may excise their right to terminate your contract.

Remember it says in the t&c's of the contract that they can terminate the contract (and therefore the service) for any reason they like. So it would be legal I believe.

At best you might be able to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland, but even then the worst that might happen is that UPC might have to slightly change their ads and you would be still without BB.

In fairness to UPC, 250GB is quiet generous, they give people plenty of warning and I've never actually heard of them cutting anyone off. So IMO it is quiet reasonable.

It would be nice if they gave you a usage counter to let you know how much you've downloaded in the month, they don't need to tell you a hard cap or anything like that, just a diagnostic/statistical tool in the router interface to let people know their usage if they are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't forget this is not set in store, previous users who repeatedly went over the FUP got their accounts terminated

Advertisement